Fuel costs where you live

Cozi’s work ute cost $163 to fill. :unsure:

After 16 years in the same job, I have put my semi retirement plan into action. No more desk driving for this black duck.

Pictured is my new work truck. Is a true small dick compensate.

35mt long carrying 60 tonne of freight, Brisbane Adelaide Brisbane (about 4,000klm) weekly. Uses almost 3,000lt of fuel for the return trip, at $2.20 per litre, or, $6,600 at current pricing.

Fucken glad I don’t pay the fuel bill!
That looks like an adventure waiting to happen ! What a cool way to semi retire
 
That looks like an adventure waiting to happen ! What a cool way to semi retire
What I like about it is that instead of talking and dealing with dickheads all day long, I talk to a gate guard, forklift driver, a service station attendant and that’s it for a week at a time, unless I care to talk with someone I meet along the way.

One of the side affects of my mental health, chronic anxiety, issues is the unrelenting craving for solitude. In a job where I have to deal with people, l have to force myself to get on with it, and that is taxing on both mind and body.

I’m not in a financial position to just stop working, so this suits my needs perfectly.
 
I don’t think it’s that simple , normal joes on the street want what perhaps more comfortable people have and they will buy the next best thing or the closest thing they can get to it , with the money they have available And who can blame them. This is a very general comment. So people have voted with their feet to not buy local made, in not just Australia. In a world where the have nots want, what the have gots have, capitalists or who ever you want to call them , make available something that people aspire to have, at a more economic price point, regardless of quality. When living in NZ I had holdens and they weren’t without their niggles and faults, almost every car or bike brand has had their issues with bits not working that should, just look at recalls for any major automotive brand. I am sad that the Holden brand doesn’t exist and they aren’t made in Oz anymore, but I have to say it was not the Chinese that started making Mass produced vehicles that killed many motorcycle and car brands, and of those brands the Toyota hilux or a Mitsi L200 to name just 2 were good options,, and the Great Wall is just a knock off of the L200, maybe not the quality of them but a less expensive option. So rather than blaming the Chinese or whoever else is blamed, maybe blame the people who dont pay a high enough wage to those people who could have bought local made if they had decent money coming in,?
Just a thought , because it plain gives me the shits the amount of china bashing that goes on here, politics is one thing , capitalism is another , but the average joe Chinese people are doing the best with what they have got , which is sweet F.A, much like a lot of have nots on or below the breadline in many countries , who can only buy what they can afford… mass produced goods from a foreign land…..
And you know what , if some kid or whoever can only afford a Chinese made bike as per your link above, good on them, if it gets them the freedom of riding the thing and feeling What any of us feel when we ride our bikes
Most of what you say is very true Todd, we have only got ourselves to blame.
However there is one thing that it seems you don't realise , and I may be wrong.
and that is that when you buy a Chinese car or tool,what you are doing is supporting the CCP.
It really is that simple.
Would you go out and buy a Russian car today?
Well the CCP has done way worse than Puttin will ever do.
And it has been doing it for a very long time.
Cultural genocide is a term that gets bandied about and seems to have lost its meaning.
Trust me Todd, its not good!
Your right the Chinese people are doing it hard, they are being totally fucked over by the CCP,
and plenty off them wish it wasnt so.

The reason I try my hardest not to buy Chinese goods, and it is fucking hard, and its not always possible, is because of the CCP
The fact that their goods are for the most part substandard is just another reason, its not the main reason by any means.

Find someone who has been affected by the CCP, have a chat with them, you may well change your views on China and its government.
The evil they have done since Mao is hard to comprehend and it just keeps going, ask a Vietnamese person, a Tibetan person, Hong kong, Taiwan, Uyghur, Mongolian, Im sure Ive missed some...

The CCP's desire to be THE world leader is real, its not some made up bit of western propaganda.

Anyhow, thats it.
Ill stop now,
go out and buy your great wall ute and fill the tray with Chinese tools.
And pick up a case of russian vodka on the way out will you.

cheers
Tom
who has every right to hate the CCP. 🙂

PS, didn't even mention the virus, that one has been well and truly been swept under the carpet.
 
Last edited:
What I like about it is that instead of talking and dealing with dickheads all day long, I talk to a gate guard, forklift driver, a service station attendant and that’s it for a week at a time, unless I care to talk with someone I meet along the way.

One of the side affects of my mental health, chronic anxiety, issues is the unrelenting craving for solitude. In a job where I have to deal with people, l have to force myself to get on with it, and that is taxing on both mind and body.

I’m not in a financial position to just stop working, so this suits my needs perfectly.
Sounds like an excellent way to do things mate, the longest truck drive we can do here on this island is about 100km in one direction, unless you go in a circle. After a day in my shop I need silence too, along with solitude , so I know exactly where you are coming from . Rock on bro
 
The Chinese issue runs much deeper than vehicles. Typing this I am using a device which has rare earths in it - most of those come from China - indeed it is made in China - pretty much every electronic device has them in. Many other metals do too - they may not mine them but the certainly refine them before they get to markets - and they feed the EV and green energy markets we are all getting excited about.

The days of crap chinese products are mostly gone - we (as in the West) use Chinese factories to make our stuff under our supervision - cheap, quality products, which sounds like an oxymoron but isnt. The West is giving China the expertise and ability to do what it does, they are experts at copying stuff, so we are all guilty of feeding the dragon. When I was a kid, before China was invented, it was all "Made in Hong Kong", or "Made in Taiwan (Formosa for the ancient)" - then China woke up....and the rest in history. The West is trying to cut off Russia - if they tried the same with China it would be a whole different ball game.

Anyhow, politics and Lavs don't really mix, and its a nice cool morning here in WA, and its time to fire up the old girl......
 
Goodonya Chris, I can understand the need to get away from the madding crowd.
Is why I like it here, I don’t have to listen to idiots, if I don’t want to read anything I don’t.

Sounds like an excellent way to do things mate, the longest truck drive we can do here on this island is about 100km in one direction, unless you go in a circle. After a day in my shop I need silence too, along with solitude , so I know exactly where you are coming from . Rock on bro

Frankly, is why I’m into motorbikes, the solitude. No phones, nobody in my ear ..... nothing, just me and my thoughts. Don’t get me wrong, I have no problem mixing with people, particularly fellow riders, but at my time and place.

None of my bikes have rear pegs, for a good reason.

Fuck me, I’m starting to sound like Zen and the motorcycle..... :oops:
 
The Chinese issue runs much deeper than vehicles. Typing this I am using a device which has rare earths in it - most of those come from China - indeed it is made in China - pretty much every electronic device has them in. Many other metals do too - they may not mine them but the certainly refine them before they get to markets - and they feed the EV and green energy markets we are all getting excited about.

The days of crap chinese products are mostly gone - we (as in the West) use Chinese factories to make our stuff under our supervision - cheap, quality products, which sounds like an oxymoron but isnt. The West is giving China the expertise and ability to do what it does, they are experts at copying stuff, so we are all guilty of feeding the dragon. When I was a kid, before China was invented, it was all "Made in Hong Kong", or "Made in Taiwan (Formosa for the ancient)" - then China woke up....and the rest in history. The West is trying to cut off Russia - if they tried the same with China it would be a whole different ball game.

Anyhow, politics and Lavs don't really mix, and its a nice cool morning here in WA, and its time to fire up the old girl......
As a kid, I remember my father vowing he would never buy a “Made in Japan piece of shit” car? I had to sell his Jap car after he died.

An email came in from my bank yesterday, new loan has been approved.
I can fill the family cars with fuel now! :LOL:
 
Most of what you say is very true Todd, we have only got ourselves to blame.
However there is one thing that it seems you don't realise , and I may be wrong.
and that is that when you buy a Chinese car or tool,what you are doing is supporting the CCP.
It really is that simple.
Would you go out and buy a Russian car today?
Well the CCP has done way worse than Puttin will ever do.
And it has been doing it for a very long time.
Cultural genocide is a term that gets bandied about and seems to have lost its meaning.
Trust me Todd, its not good!
Your right the Chinese people are doing it hard, they are being totally fucked over by the CCP,
and plenty off them wish it wasnt so.

The reason I try my hardest not to buy Chinese goods, and it is fucking hard, and its not always possible, is because of the CCP
The fact that their goods are for the most part substandard is just another reason, its not the main reason by any means.

Find someone who has been affected by the CCP, have a chat with them, you may well change your views on China and its government.
The evil they have done since Mao is hard to comprehend and it just keeps going, ask a Vietnamese person, a Tibetan person, Hong kong, Taiwan, Uyghur, Mongolian, Im sure Ive missed some...

The CCP's desire to be THE world leader is real, its not some made up bit of western propaganda.

Anyhow, thats it.
Ill stop now,
go out and buy your great wall ute and fill the tray with Chinese tools.
And pick up a case of russian vodka on the way out will you.

cheers
Tom
who has every right to hate the CCP. 🙂

PS, didn't even mention the virus, that one has been well and truly been swept under the carpet.
I’m not naive, and I’m well aware of the atrocities that have been committed , and continue to be committed by many countries on this planet , I just don’t think this bike forum is a good place to vent about that , otherwise you should start telling it like it is for every nation in the east and the west that has human rights issues , if we all look in our own backyards they are easily seen there both in the past and iin the present. I shouldn’t have to say this, but make no mistake , I do not condone the behavior of those politicians in power that rain misery down on their citizens or Any country that they choose to do it to. I do clarify that I dislike intensely, amongst many other things , racism, or nationalism and polarizing behavior , its where most of these problems in our world stem from. I just ask you leave your thoughts and anyone else who wants to bring in that Sort of mentality outside the door before you come in. If you are so strongly adverse as You seem to be, with the greatest of respect to you, telling a bunch of mostly old blokes who like old bikes, isn’t going to do Anything about the issues you have pointed out above. I’m not being antagonistic writing this, nor do I write it in anger, I may lack diplomacy but I just want to learn about bikes and use this forum to stick my head in the sand and hide from the real world for 30 minutes a day without having to hear or read about someone’s beef with another country or politics And by the way I get my Vodka from Poland thanks very much
 
I’m not naive, and I’m well aware of the atrocities that have been committed , and continue to be committed by many countries on this planet , I just don’t think this bike forum is a good place to vent about that , otherwise you should start telling it like it is for every nation in the east and the west that has human rights issues , if we all look in our own backyards they are easily seen there both in the past and iin the present. I shouldn’t have to say this, but make no mistake , I do not condone the behavior of those politicians in power that rain misery down on their citizens or Any country that they choose to do it to. I do clarify that I dislike intensely, amongst many other things , racism, or nationalism and polarizing behavior , its where most of these problems in our world stem from. I just ask you leave your thoughts and anyone else who wants to bring in that Sort of mentality outside the door before you come in. If you are so strongly adverse as You seem to be, with the greatest of respect to you, telling a bunch of mostly old blokes who like old bikes, isn’t going to do Anything about the issues you have pointed out above. I’m not being antagonistic writing this, nor do I write it in anger, I may lack diplomacy but I just want to learn about bikes and use this forum to stick my head in the sand and hide from the real world for 30 minutes a day without having to hear or read about someone’s beef with another country or politics And by the way I get my Vodka from Poland thanks very much
I also use this forum as a little sanity break, away from vexacious spirits :)

I often quite like a robust political discussion, I think it's a good way of exploring other peoples opinions and moderating my own.
But as you say, not here.

Go the mods ;)
 
Completely agree with you! The CCP is horrific in its effects on humans on earth, worse dictatorship is recent history. Chinese made product avoidance is a very difficult task at this point. Try our best anyways.
I install Chinese made product for a living. I grind my teeth every day, not just by being forced to support the CCP product, but being forced to offer the terrible quality product , embarrassing to me that I must try my best to tell my customers the reason why.
 
  • Like
Reactions: T.C
Interested in the route you take between Brizvegas and Adelaide Chris. I have done the trip many a time on the RGS and once on the XT600, usually through Pinaroo, Tooleybuc , Balranald , Hay and up through West Wylong to Dubbo and then across to Tamworth. The last couple of times I have gone via Moree and Goondawindi as tha section has fewer towns and a 110 speed limit.
Had contemplated going via Broken Hill but the the disuader was the distance between towns, not becuase of fuel range but the lack of places to overnight if caught out a dusk in the middle of nowhere.
I suppose the opposite is better for you, more open road and not slowed down by pesky 50 kph speed limits through towns.
 
But way more Kangaroos, so many we couldn't go past 60ks and even then it was dicy. Might be ok in a big rig, not in a Holden ute.
 
Learnt a lesson on the stretch between Cobar and the Hill; if you see a flock of crows up ahead, take a deep breath and hold it until past the road kill and watch out for wedge tail eagles.
 
Interested in the route you take between Brizvegas and Adelaide Chris. I have done the trip many a time on the RGS and once on the XT600, usually through Pinaroo, Tooleybuc , Balranald , Hay and up through West Wylong to Dubbo and then across to Tamworth. The last couple of times I have gone via Moree and Goondawindi as tha section has fewer towns and a 110 speed limit.
Had contemplated going via Broken Hill but the the disuader was the distance between towns, not becuase of fuel range but the lack of places to overnight if caught out a dusk in the middle of nowhere.
I suppose the opposite is better for you, more open road and not slowed down by pesky 50 kph speed limits through towns.

Brisvegas, Toowoomba, Goondiwindi , Moree, Brewarrina, Bourke, Cobar, Wilcannia, Little Topar, Broken Hill, Peterborough, Burra, Gawler, Gepps Cross.

:( 90kph speed limit, so 110 limit is of no consequence.
 
Hey Chris, is it your truck or are you working for a trucking company?

I wouldn't mind the solitary lifestyle and the driving, but those big rigs can be hard work. I've watched Outback Truckers on TV. Changing truck tyres on the side of the road in 40° heat doesn't appeal to me. And never mind the kangaroos, there's probably stray cattle wandering around those parts. Hitting one of them at 90kph could ruin your day. But good luck with the venture Chris. I hope it works out well for you.
 
Hey Chris, is it your truck or are you working for a trucking company?
Hell no, not my truck. I just water it, feed it and hold the reins.

Legal shit says I'm not allowed to do repairs, change tyres etc.

Make a phone call, kick back and watch TV while waiting for the Cavalry to come and re-shoe it.
The nearest Blacksmith is only a couple of hours away at worst.
 
Back
Top