Fun on the Putty

I love top speed runs - just gotta be very wary of the fuzz, cos if they catch you it's implied that you as good as committed foist degree moider!

Big deal - winding a stable vehicle up on a dead straight road in the middle of nowhere. Oh! What would happen if you had . ...  a BLOWOUT!!!??? Same as if you had one at 100 I suppose ...
 
1972, 24 years old, I was in a 72 Challenger RS 340 Mag (Reworked 69 W2 340 - Allen Sheppard - Smoky Yunick), Posi 2:72 Ratio and a 727 Auto. BF T/A's Rayon Belted F60's on front and G60 on back on 15"x8/10" Ralley steel rims Koni shocks and Teflon suspension. NOT a Drag Racer!

180+mph involving a Canadian RCMP Chevy 427 Cruiser coming out of BC into Alberta.

No charges because I caught COPS driving carelessly at sun rise into sun rise coming out of the mountains over looking the prairies and they didn't stand a chance in hell to catch me. I embarrassed them.

Yes it's something to feel your oats when your young and fortunate to escape the consequences - Then you learn the value of life ;o)

Jim, you know the road, Canmore to Calgary. That Cruiser bogged to 122 mph going up the Old man River hill and I shifted into 2nd and topped out at over 175mph in 2rd then into in 3rd at over 7200rpm. By the time the cruiser reached the top of the hill. I was in Calgary some 5+ miles further.

Can't say how fast I went although I was in a 5 point hitch and the center line was floating and weaving back and forth and the speedo only went up 150 ;o)

Gotta say that Challenger was probably the fastest car and one of the best handing cars I've ever owned - The BIGGEST problem it was a Dodge uni-body built of Tinfoil and rusted out after 2 years and 75,000 miles - Went across Canada 5 times in that machine in the early 70's.

Low light car with a Torsion Bar front end like Jag with leafs on the back and Posi.

Paid $3200 for her NEW and put another $2000 into her before she got off the show room floor. The Original Challengers and copies are worth over $250,000 today.

Only made them for 3 years for Trans-Am Racing - The AMC Javelin eventually WON Trans-AM over the Chevy Camaro, Ford BOSS and the Dodge Challenger.

Big Block Challengers are PIGS - Too Heavy on the front end and the suspension can't handle it.

Even to day I would sooner drive a 84 Volvo GLE 2.3L Lamba FI - Top speed around 125mph but can cruise at it all day long at 50 miles per gallon.

I know one thing is when the COP's came to the top of the hill they did not see a car on the Prairie.
 
No worries I have missed the obvious myself a few times. I did wonder about getting the 1100 version but the one I bought was so ridiculously cheap it was a no brainer to buy it.
I was tempted by the sixes back in the 80?s, but was worried about the cylinder lining, and also I was always out riding the guy on the six in our group of bikers on my 350 Lav, so I decided to stick with twins and bought a Monty instead.
 
Back
Top