Have you been chased by the police/cops on your Laverda?

iis_iis

Hero member
Location
NSW
Cam reminded me of being chased by two Honda 750 four cops, my poor old waterbottle/Kettle peaked out at 106mph, which was faster than the cops, though the old Yagoona Road was a goat track and it was getting a bit wild, they light me up as the yanks call it and i slammed on the brakes, one Honda went past me so fast he was nearly home...the other had hung back and pulled up next to me, trying to kick my bike over from under me...a hiding ensued on the roadside, general duties turn up and take me back to Bankstown cop shop, old Sargent tells me to take a blanket for the wooden plank as bed, in the poo covered walls cell, me "..no thanks i take me chances with the cockroaches... another hiding ensued...them were the days, about 1974. The cop Honda did look good in black and white livery.... then there was the court appearance next day...another story.... whom here has had the pleasure of arrest on the Laverda of choice.... must be a closet crim out there in the day...grin. j
 
Not really ever chased but followed / timed quite a few times , never an arrest but a court appearance , but only due to point toting up so doesn`t count really .
Was timed once by a Pan European at 106 and 99 mph , he said he would report me for the lower speed to save me a ban but I was already on nine points....

Was sort of chased once , actually spotted him by side of road , but then road dipped and rose again like a big dipper over a mile or so . I thought I was safe having passed him but it seems he timed me as I passed by and then timed me again as I crested the rise in the distance . About two miles later I saw flashing lights reflected in the back of the caravan I was now stuck behind .

Despite what you may think I did have a mirror fitted but above 5000 rpm the thing would would revolve and assume a new position which gave a very good view of .....me .
All very flattering but not much use for spotting following police cars / bikes .

If it hadn`t been for that caravan getting in the way I would probably have made it into Stow (completely unaware of the pursuit of course ) and lost him in the traffic .
Partner in crime was a Mirage .
 
Last edited:
Well yes, kind of. I was doing insane hours, working 6 days a week as a Chippy and doing 4 nights at Sydney Tech doing a certificate course in Building. I was heading home one night at 945pm across The Sydney Harbour Bridge and rode past a Random Breath Test while heading a block away to a mate's place. 20 minutes later I left and headed past the same RBT with 2 marked Cop cars there. A k up the road was a Red light and while stopped I noticed the red and blues approaching at speed, the light changed and I turned right and then left with the cops approaching fast, so with a genius move I turned the bike lights off and accelerated hard up the hill to get away. And then my brain started working, WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING. I hadn't done anything wrong so why was I doing a runner, so I turned the lights back on and stopped. The first cop car pull up and blocked me in and took my keys and in 3 minutes they were everywhere, at least 4 or 5 cars arrived. And that's when the intense interrogation occurred, it seems I didn't have a red rear reflector. Only the white light could be seen and earlier that night they had pursued a bike across the Harbour bridge showing a rear white light so I was asked as I had admitted crossing the bridge at the general time this very clever question attempting to gain an admission. I put it to you as you have admitted crossing the bridge at approx 930pm and have a white rear light showing it could have been you we persuaded, he insisted I reply in the affirmative. I would not and kept saying so, as it wasn't me. And then he wanted to see if I had Tattoos and was I in a Bikie gang and did I have a Gang name, borderline stupid as I didn't. This went on for approx 30 minutes and gradually they got bored and left one car at a time, with no fines for me and I got told to fix the light. It was an interesting experience and showed just how insular a cop's life is, BTW I doubt many Outlaw Club Blokes rode Laverdas and had bags on their bikes with Surveying and Structural Engineering Textbooks inside.
 
Not pursued but very close to being in the shit bigtime. Was heading up the New England Highway towards Tamworth when some joker in a 2 lire Escort (complete with go faster chequered tape) wanted a race so I dialed 200kph and left him for dead on a long section of uphill divided road. So a sign that Tamworth was 20 kays ahead and started slowing down when a cop car going the other way pulled a uhie and chased me under lights and sirens. I pilled over and the cop asked me how fast I was going, I said cruising at about 115 to which he said 'bullshit', 143 on the radar. I got booked and went on my way, thank f8ck he hadn't seen me 30 seconds beforehand.
 
I've been chased a few times. Actually got away with it once or twice. Not on a Laverda though.

On one occasion, I was heading home from university way back when I was a student in the early 70's. Was on my Honda 750/4 and giving a mate a lift on the pillion seat. We were on a bit of highway on the outskirts of town, and I was definitely well above the speed limit. When a cop car appeared in my mirrors from some concealed spot, with lights and siren going, I did a quick mental assessment of the relative capabilities of my bike vs his car, and made a decision to go for it. I yelled to my mate to hang on. He wrapped his arms around my waist, I kicked back a gear and twisted the throttle all the way open. We left the cop car quite a way behind in the first 10 seconds or so, then came into a built-up area with a 60kph limit. I did a bit of ducking and weaving around traffic through the suburban streets at some ridiculous speed, then spotted a house that had a garage with an open roller door. I had no idea whose house it was but the garage was empty. Hoping we were far enough ahead of the cop that he wouldn't see, I dived in the garage. My mate jumped off the bike as quick as a flash and pulled the roller door down. A few seconds later we heard the cop go past with siren wailing. So far so good - he obviously hadn't seen where we went! We waited a little while, maybe 15 mins, without hearing the siren again. We lifted the roller door enough for one of us to duck under and have a look up and down the road. No sign of the cop. We figured the owner of the garage had left the door open because they were only going to be away for a short time. Probably just gone to the shops or something. We didn't want them to return, block us in and call the cops, so we made an exit and crept as quietly as possible via all the little back streets to my place which wasn't far away. I was expecting a knock on the door for the next few days, but it never came. Apparently the cop never got close enough to read the bike's number plate.

We got away with it that time, but there's no way I'd pull such an idiotic stunt now just to avoid a speeding ticket. I was young, stupid and thought I was invincible in those days.

Then there was another time when ...
(story for another day) :)
 
Not a bike story, I was heading home in my Ute when coming round a bend at maybe a bit or slightly more over the speed limit I see a couple of cop cars parked on the side of the road, O shit. So I duck into a side street and tare arse down into a nice deep culdesac at the bottom of the suburb and park up to wait a bit. So 5 minutes later one of the cop cars arrives, I am dumbfounded at how quick they found me and confess my sins and guilty conscience about a little speeding. They start laughing, it seems the local bank had been held up. It used to happen a lot in the 1980s before the bulletproof screens were installed on all banks. They had a roadblock happening and a Helicopter up and were looking for suspicious activity in the suburb and the copper had seen my erratic driving and hiding down there and sent the car to check it out. Again no ticket, they loved my embarrassment though.
 
Ok, so its 1984, Its winter and Im on my P's with my XL 250.
Had have just picked up a row of acid from Sam the candy man in Manly and was looking forward to a good night,
also got my mate Pete on the back so Im slower than a wet week.
We go through a orange/red light in Manly and as I glance to our right, there's a cop car.
I know we are fucked and I know my licence is about to be cancelled from other driving offences,
So, mid intersection, I give the mighty XL a handful of gas, not surprisingly the cop car lights up and it's on.
Managed to somehow get at least three blocks, all downhill, before it became obvious to my juvenile brain that we were toast.
Pull up onto the footpath with the rear locked up and the cop car screeches to a halt in front also on the footpath and copers pile out and slam me up against the fence.
so its back to the North Sydney cop shop for me, luckily Pete not only had his bike licence but also had the acid in his backpack, :) so he was able to get back to the rest of the mob and carry on.
After being charged, riding in a manner dangerous back then, I was able to plead my way out of the cop shop and found my way back to kirribilli and the rest of the guys.
Walked into the flat to Pink Floyd on the stereo and a hero's welcome.
Needless to say it was a top night.

The things we do when we don't know any better.

Funny thing was, after the court appearance, guilty your honour, there was a fuck up with the motor registry and my black or full MC licence was posted out to me while my car licence was cancelled for 6 months.
I definitely wasn't going to argue, you gotta get lucky some times:):)
 
Back in 1986 I jumped the red lights at the railway gates as it was raining and wanted to get home, only for a cop car to be hiding on the other side waiting for someone like me. I turned the next right and opened her up with him in pursuit. Unfortunately there is a tight S bend in this road and I had a bald front tyre so I had to slow down and he caught me up. I jumped off the Laverda and met him getting out of the car, I wanted to keep him away from seeing my tyre. He asked me what the speed limit was as he walked to the bike and I explained that I had just finished work and it was raining etc etc. When he got to the bike his joy almost exploded! “Can I sit on it” he asks, sure go ahead. “ can I start it? “ go on then the reply. He sat there reving it with a big grin and said “ I’ve always wanted one of these” he got off and told me to TRY and stick to 30mph and that I had made his night. He never did check the tyres 😁
 
Riding back from the '91 Factory Trip, crossing Austria at relatively high speed, I came across a couple of officers in a three box Fiat, on the highway.
Pulling alongside them, the one in the passenger seat gave me a thumbs-up and then waved me on, with both hands. I held position, then the driver joined in waving me on, one-handed.
"Mmmm, what the hell!" I thought. "They're never gonna catch me, in that, if I get on with it."
So, I dropped a gear and nailed it.
In the mirrors, I could see both grinning and giving me the thumbs-up.
Some days are good days, some guys are good guys.
 
Me thoughts there was a lawless biker element, a coat of paint thickness under the old facade around this site.... good yarns the many. In my case was charged with "Driving in a manner dangerous to the public" and the lesser "Speed Dangerous", mandatory 6 months goal, no beak discretion. Friend of mine organized his solicitor to defend me at very short notice, north shore well known, arrives in his gorgeous in blue Maserati, outside of court house, solicitor grabs me...tells me to piss off, tells the cops no plea deal, and it was on...6 appearance it took, to get me a ( now ) section 10. Cops pulled every filthy trick in the book to have me convicted, there were the bad cops in the day, and also the not so bad.... well done you lawless lot out there....a grin. j
 
Yes Vince, done the "ton" on our harbor bridge, two up ( Brother on the back holding a VW Beetle rear drum brake ) just peaked before the upper arch, than pulled the ton on the downhill side, not bad for a touring stroker Kettle. Brother had some dry comment when we arrived in Manly to repair the 'dub...j
 
I soon learned when my first NSW Laveda Club run to the Forecourt Of The Opera House Steps for a Mass Photo for Masimos Birthday, that both trips over The Bridge there and back were kinda crazy. Not quite the ton but bloody close. More than one Laverda was a race apparently.
 
More than one Laverda was a race apparently.

I reckon that's a common theme Vince, and transfers to other activities.

I've done it myself while out sailing. We'd be cruising along enjoying a relaxing sail, not paying much attention to sail trim or boat speed, thinking only about finding a nice sheltered spot to anchor for the night and crack open a bottle of wine. But when another boat comes into view heading in the same direction, everyone gets into race mode and we try to maximise speed, even to the extent of putting up more sail. The only priority being to overtake the other boat.
Something I've heard more than once around my local yacht club is that if two boats happen to find themselves sailing in the same direction, then it's a race.
 
Wakehurst parkway, Motodd,
6:30 am 180klicks and the filth appear going the otherway. Rear-view mirror shows brake lights so dial it on till the first set of traffic light before Warringah Rd, turn left on a red light and a few lefts and rights in the suburbs kill the motor and wait.
Late 70s, Great Ocean Rd
SF2 with pillion (90 Kay restriction) pass cop booking someone, got a filthy look so dial it up heading for Apollo bay. He passed my mate on his 3c and my girlfriend on her 400 Honda and took after me. Must have gave up and ended up stopping my mate and GF, told them if he sees me again he'll throw the book at me. Mate and gf charged with dangerous driving.
Months later at court in Lorne we had eye contact and got the most filthy look from him. She got off the dangerous charge and got a fine for speeding. 3c mate from Perth had the cops turn up and took his license off him for the Victorian charge.
As for bridges, done the ton on the Harbour Bridge and the Golden Gate Bridge pissed both times.
Those were good days
 
  • Like
Reactions: T.C
Wakehurst Parkway again. After doing all my points and being on a provisional (black) license for just under a year, I was delivering my RGS to Dan Feahy's (ext CLNSW member RIP) place for safekeeping before going on a four month deployment. There I was chuffing along just over the speed limit when a cop jumped out of the bushes waving a little 'Stop Police' baton. Bugger I thought, done my license now, would have been back on full license when back from overseas. I pulled over and the cop comes up and says" didn't want you to stop, just take it easy mate".
Rode on to Dan's looking as if I had shit sandwiches for breakfast.
 
Back
Top