Mikuni RS carb spares - US

lawrence

Where can I buy (preferably in the US) new o-rings for Mikuni RS model carbs? An o-ring on the float bowl drain screw has failed. I suppose it's time to renew all three, but where can they be purchased? I had a look at the Mikuni USA website, but I was unable to find any spares for the carburators there. Surly there is a source somewhere.

Hi Lawrence

I buy O ring kits, they come in many materials and in metric and imperial sizing. Go to something like Amzon.com and search something like nitrile O ring metric kits. $20 or $30 will look after your all O ring needs for years to come. At the moment I have 3 different O ring kits, very handy to have around.

Paul LeClair

Keep away from Amazon. Largely responsible for global warming and the exploitation of the working man, and woman. :(
You local industrial supplier will have all you need. As long as you have the sizes.

Paul

Keep away from Amazon. Largely responsible for global warming and the exploitation of the working man, and woman. :(
You local industrial supplier will have all you need. As long as you have the sizes.

Paul
I had no idea that there was little global warming and exploitation of workers before July 5, 1994. You learn something new every day on this site!

Paul
I had no idea that there was little global warming and exploitation of workers before July 5, 1994. You learn something new every day on this site!

Jeff B. certainly isn't doing much to combat it. But he could... if he wanted. :rolleyes: Compared to his net worth, it would cost him peanuts, especially the exploitation bit. He's more concerned about his ego though.

I used to buy books through Amazon when Jeff was but a mail order librarian working out of his garage. Wife and I boycott him now. Doesn't help, but it's a start and soothes my conscience.

piet

Jeff B. certainly isn't doing much to combat it. But he could... if he wanted. :rolleyes: Compared to his net worth, it would cost him peanuts, especially the exploitation bit. He's more concerned about his ego though.

I used to buy books through Amazon when Jeff was but a mail order librarian working out of his garage. Wife and I boycott him now. Doesn't help, but it's a start and soothes my conscience.

piet
Same here.
The means change, the principle and it's effects are old hat.

Paul

piet
Same here, I avoid Amazon like the plague it is.

Paul

piet
I certainly agree that Amazon is a contributor and an exploiter, but to claim that they are “largely responsible for global warming and the exploitation of working men and women” to ignore facts and history. It’s tinfoil hat stuff that erases the contributions of hundreds of years of coal mines, oil exploitation and corporate greed. Why let them off the hook for their evil by blaming a very recent company when so many others have worked so hard to destroy the planet and the lives of workers. Please give credit where credit is due!

Last edited:
I certainly agree that Amazon is a contributor and an exploiter, but to claim that they are “largely responsible for global warming and the exploitation of working men and women” to ignore facts and history. It’s tinfoil hat stuff…..
Yes, of course, but exaggeration is an excellent means of getting noticed.
And little droplets end up making big rivers. Every little bit helps. Less Amazon means less air planes and cargo ships and more real jobs for people to build a life on.

Paul

The global warming contributor bit may be a bit exxagerated, but the exploitation is well documented. Worker councils and unions are prevented as best as Amazon can.

The emissions are not really Amazons fault, the general public that shops there is at fault. Jeff simply exploits the in-born laziness of humans, most that shop there don't give what they're doing a second thought a fuck.

piet

Is Amazon really nay different from all the other internet suppleirs - whether for goods, shopping or take away food? Its all about ease of getting stuff - and people are becomming lazier by the day. That said, many of the good old corner shops one could get stuff from are no longer around - so one can spend half a day running around looking for a widget - or use Amazon or another appropriate outlet. However, my real gripe with anything procured on line is one never knows when it will arrive - no matter what they say.

I also avoid Amazon, due to the fact that I know three people who have worked for them in differring roles,
I also avoid P&O ferries for the same reason, I was once a VERY good customer of theirs, havent used them since the sacking (without notice) of their employees, who where then replaced by "agency" workers without any contractual liabilities.

I made a lot of money in the late 80's and early 90's by paying at least 35/40% more than the going rate for pipefitters, mates and welders, 22 was the peak number employed, and lasted only a few months,but there were always 4 of us, I was (in fact) getting the work done with 50% lesss men than others, everyone was happy, one or two might have even killed if I asked it, lots retired about 25/30 years later and said that for the remainder of their working lives they never matched that money.

I still get the occassional tender invitation through the post box, packed up in 2011.

CLEM

Is Amazon really nay different from all the other internet suppleirs - whether for goods, shopping or take away food? Its all about ease of getting stuff - and people are becomming lazier by the day. That said, many of the good old corner shops one could get stuff from are no longer around - so one can spend half a day running around looking for a widget - or use Amazon or another appropriate outlet. However, my real gripe with anything procured on line is one never knows when it will arrive - no matter what they say.
The good old corner shops have disappeared for several very good reasons.
They cannot compete on price with the globalised internet suppliers.
They cannot compete on speed of delivery.

I entirely agree with Piet, the "consumer" is ultimately responsible. He wants it fast and cheap. But that has a huge price. We should all look at our habits.

Paul

Come to Canada Paul ........ where the local supplier is 200 km away ....... and usually doesn't have what you want.

Jim
You should therefore live in a log cabin or an igloo and grow vegetables using a horse drawn plough.

It's a bit like people wanting to eat avocados in winter which are air freighted from Peru.
Leeks and potatoes are excellent.

And ride a Harley, they're local, sort of.

Paul

You should therefore live in a log cabin or an igloo and grow vegetables using a horse drawn plough.

It's a bit like people wanting to eat avocados in winter which are air freighted from Peru.
Leeks and potatoes are excellent.

And ride a Harley, they're local, sort of.

Paul

Log cabin is nice but I have a different project to start. Great place for me when I am in shit and need to hide out. Will come complete with an outhouse.

It is much easier to eat local when you live away from the city. Berries, apples, leeks, potatoes, peas, onions and garlic grown at home. We get eggs, bread and root vegetables from local suppliers. Milk and butter from 'almost' local (small dairy about 200 km away). Beef and chicken sourced through family and friends. Fish caught local or from a supplier 300 km away but is the fisher as well.

As my friend Peter from Zermatt says ..... "Wegetables are bad for you"

Jim
P.S. here is my escape plans.

T1O7vTYzieRAk4RcNPpYp1W3KOehfV_ZAyfeudbBCfVRf9WvPkUi20TUaqe4url7BMwhZj9uCXas8dRg9d4TYi1iq9TPs42Xrsg2TywBnlLk2JvLRtGm6Ae8WPOBRx_UL0b9uJa3K7kcbFamYdYy6GZ392DmzYnDzAH9cedxBEQJeIKt91WdNBE9EaI8yaoDOlA06uUjVv0fKqqaqHQm6b821jyxWZqAI2iOwJQCF8VniPqjUAgwJnV6Zoixa20-I8BxevEdmOKkJDQHKRBiykj6v3piFjeRy0g7luEO3e8so7itMerCh-8NTWTzjHFqUH-nXG_cJa0BH7rimV7rivWc4a5FSbaewbkx4ixxyXi7i358NtRONOZ0ot9EQlFokGUOTQPR7GnbyDj14soD3bFT1P7HQnQrCe2eele_bmtKboblWYbDvTKV0lP1pHDkmnHMO5uH-mUrGYfuRQbUl5vyMjdatTHHH_yVPgAzxAzBVIHb6ZrkQZULQdDdzfw-KtMnK1Pb_4DKoME3ajlmbZRlE1ojd-QF5MygVBzVUHVp0XCZ5aYcVKYm1aqnE-h3ZWdzd06_9PnssJ79Q8su50nrLWX_vkD-h2wsM1W87zBbzfAXI3UOS773Hf6S9G6ASmN1XRmZrgDPQCPY7asJxvtAYgFoSLlbhDSV-xHZYUAleP89S6D67dlAPLB8biPOKa-IP3DmNJVBjSlGNbN_w-H3RcxJFDpKSnf18kGMYBxFrGxg1HXkDHgXmWrpVEVGqXN7x-GiGwx0-2Cx8BBQqym1xDSGbwr-9VefVFpLC3KBMjAXLumrIkS-o9b3bhoKo_O6il440f-SaKEn-Pf37TFdf_CKobXVen9HDW6Vlul_7orrtM0KZAoVh0cFJmaS_h3HSdpZmxXb_P-aUxaBsT8jH43o7G0LgBwLZLwCzcPFHg=w847-h617-s-no

I visited the local Harbor Freight (HF) biz to check out the o-ring kits. First reaction I had was the variety available. Wide! Second thing were the prices -- very cheap (no surprise there). As luck would have it, the wide variety of o-rings in four kits/collections did not extend to a ring in the size for the Mikuni RS drain plug. (I've always marveled at how thin those OEM o-rings are.) I bought what seems like a close approximation and will test it's suitability. If it leaks, I'll see about having replacements of the exact size made. That will cost about the same as 300+ o-rings from HF. BTW, HF o-rings are available in every material one can imagine, and they all are said to resist petroleum products. I bought them in Nitrile, as that was the kit that offered the best size option.

Back