Montjuic petrol tanks

Andy J

Hero member
Location
Isle of Man
I asked a similar question on the ILOC forum but got no responses, so perhaps a different audience may elicit at least one response (hopefully a helpful one)!
A Mk2 ‘Monty’ was recently advertised on flea-bay with an early style Alpino/350 petrol tank. Now, I have never seen an official Monty supplied with anything other than a later style of tank, but I’ve seen a few bikes with the early tank converted to look like a Monty. So does anyone know if the factory sold any with an early style of tank?
I suspect, if the bike was a genuine Monty, it had a prang early on its life and the tank was replaced.
 
Hi Andy
When I was selling Montys back in the 1970's and 80's all had the later style tank. No Monty's ever came with the early tank. If any Monty now has an early type tank then it's been changed.
Alan.
 
Hi Andy
When I was selling Montys back in the 1970's and 80's all had the later style tank. No Monty's ever came with the early tank. If any Monty now has an early type tank then it's been changed.
Alan.
Thanks for the reply Alan, but do you recall selling a previously owned Mk 2 with an early tank as the guy selling the one on fleabay said it came from Muira.
 
... I ever thought that Montys were standard 500 prepared in UK - never heared they were factory build in Breganze???
Ciao, Gert
I believe the very early ones were assembled in the UK from F500 s but later bikes came more or less complete, but stand to be corrected.
 
Just like any other Petrol Tank - Don't care how they look - Just ensure they are clean and don't leak - Save your ASS !
 
Hi Andy
It may well have come from me but how many years ago 20, 30, 40? I sold lots of Montys who knows what happens to them in new ownership. What I do know is they always came with the later style tank.
Alan.
 
I asked a similar question on the ILOC forum but got no responses, so perhaps a different audience may elicit at least one response (hopefully a helpful one)!
A Mk2 ‘Monty’ was recently advertised on flea-bay with an early style Alpino/350 petrol tank. Now, I have never seen an official Monty supplied with anything other than a later style of tank, but I’ve seen a few bikes with the early tank converted to look like a Monty. So does anyone know if the factory sold any with an early style of tank?
I suspect, if the bike was a genuine Monty, it had a prang early on its life and the tank was replaced.
Hi Andy, I bought the Monty from fleabay you are asking about to go with my Mk1, and I can confirm that it did come Muira as I have the purchase receipt and it did come with the early style tank which had been fitted to the bike when he bought it in 1989. But it had already passed through 5 previous owners so who knows when that tank was fitted!
I have recently bought a later style tank and it is being painted to suit the rest of the bike.
I now have 2 Alpina or Zeta early style tanks if anybody needs one!
 
Last edited:
In my humble opinion, those early tanks are much prettier.
And to add to Andy's post, apparently, the UK assembled Montjuichs not based on the Formulas had variable specs, notably concerning the gearboxes.
If you have a close ration Formula box, you're a happy owner.

Paulmania 7.jpg
 
Hi Andy, I bought the Monty from fleabay you are asking about to go with my Mk1, and I can confirm that it did come Muira as I have the purchase receipt and it did come with the early style tank which had been fitted to the bike when he bought it in 1989. But it had already passed through 5 previous owners so who knows when that tank was fitted!
I have recently bought a later style tank and it is being painted to suit the rest of the bike.
I now have 2 Alpina or Zeta early style tanks if anybody needs one!
Hi
Well I hope you are happy with your purchase. I was just surprised the previous owner, given the length of time he owned the bike, that he wasn’t aware the tank didn’t ‘match’ the bike.
Andy
 
Hi Andy, I thought I had responded to the previous message but this is the Monty in question as I bought it, "incorrect" tank etc and after I had sourced the "correct" tank and been through the bike completely. I now have a matching pair, MK1 and Mk2! is that me just being lucky or double trouble???
 

Attachments

  • 20210312_194507.jpg
    20210312_194507.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210409_120531.jpg
    20210409_120531.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 20181114_093225.jpg
    20181114_093225.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 43
I dont know much about these UK only bikes, but what I can tell you is that, for the MK1, the fairing, seat, side panels and front mudguard were UK made (Screen and Plastics Ltd Redditch) and fitted locally, I raced an amost new one in 78/79, I dont know about the two versions of the MK11. Where in Kent? my home county

CLEM
 
Thanks for the reply Alan, but do you recall selling a previously owned Mk 2 with an early tank as the guy selling the one on fleabay said it came from Muira.

Have a look at the Harris matchless m50 I think. Royal engine but the tank is a dead ringer for the later monty.
Disclaimer.. I've had a couple of Sunday after drinks.
 
Back
Top