Motoplat coils replaced by TEK coils?

1200ts

Hero member
Will the factory BOSCH ignition system on a late 120 which uses motoplat 5 ohm ignition coils be able to use 3 ohm coils without damaging the ignition?

The current is gong to go from 2.4 amps to 4 amps due to the lower resistance. One of the coils is bad so am replacing them with TEK KP03 coils which are 3 ohm.

This is temporary as the BOSCH ignition will in the near future be replace by a modern one which does use 3 ohm coils. But I don't want to damage the existing ignition system! If 3 ohms is not OK then I guess my only option is to use a ballast resistor. I need to see if the bike will start and run as it is now!

Also, opinions on the current available ignitions out there. I have three bikes with IIS ignition and one with DMC so am familar with them but know nothing about the Sachse ignition? Does it offer any advantages over the DMC?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top