New member says hello

Hiya,

That's not you I see, is it, above Sandy Beach, accross the bay from Holyhead?  We've got a van on Penrhyn campsite, and if you look down you might see my blue Laverda SF2!  Ours is the van with the catamaran next to it, in the field where Penrhyn's slip way is. If you're in the area during the summer weekends, you're welcome to drop in, ( not literally, I hasten to add! ).

All the best
Gareth.

I'll keep an eye out for you next time I'm over Sandy beach Gareth.

Kev

I was looking for some Montjuic photos but I found these instead, the Jota one is of me at Aintree in 1980, the second was a trial ride on Phil Todd's prototype 120 degree crank Saxon framed machine at Snetterton in 1982 I think, I may be wrong on that though, all I remember was that it was very quick handled well but vibrated so bad I thought my fingernails were going to drop off!, even though the handlebars were filled with lead!

I'll still keep looking for my Monty pics.

Kev

Attachments

• Aintree_Jota_small.jpg
    Aintree_Jota_small.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Motodd_Laverda_small.jpg
    Motodd_Laverda_small.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 38
Kev,

fab pics !!......love the Aintree one - you look like you are on a mission  8)

More more !!

Pete

I found one Montjuic one, this was taken at Parliament Square in Ramsey, just yards before the con-rod made a bid for freedom!

I've got a really good one taken on the climb up to Guthries if I can find it, I'll keep trying.

On a mission on the Jota? I always was! From 1980 on I think the Jota was starting to struggle against the Japs with Suzuki's Katana and Honda's CB 900 F, I usually finished in the top three, and most of my wins came in the wet, but when Honda's CB 1100 R came on the scene the writing was on the wall.

Kev

Attachments

• Manx_Monty_small.jpg
    Manx_Monty_small.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 41
Great photo Kev,

The more I look at Montys the more i love them.

Shaun

Hi Scrumpy

Yes I've voted, my favorite was the Silver & Orange.

I'm digging through my photo collection in the attic, I'm not very organized so its not an easy job!  I'll post them as I come across them. I raced one of Phil Todd's bikes in the "Thunderbike" series in 1988, but unfortunately haven't got any photos from that time, as I recall the bike wasn't quite sorted but was very promising at the time and had great potential, we were running third in the championship after three rounds until I disappeared into the tyrewall with it at Snetterton, damaging the bike substantially and putting an end to my racing career....ouch!  :'(

Kev

Kev,

Shame that you ended your racing career like that, hopefully you made a full recovery. I look forward to seeing some more of your photograophs.

Scrumpy

Thanks for the comments guys, I need to get up into the attic again and do an awful lot of sorting, I will post them as I come across them.

Kev

Yes Scrumpy, thanks, I made a full recovery, it was just a combination of a series of very fast crashes, where I was amazingly little harmed, and having three very young children to care of, I decided that enough was enough, it was the toughest decision of my life it took me a week to make the decision but in retrospect I think it was the right one.

Anyway here are a couple of pics to hopefully entertain, one is of the Anglesey circuit that I took this summer, and the other is of me in my flying machine, taken by my friend Roger Savage from his gyrocopter, as you can see, a far safer hobby than motorcycle racing! :D

Attachments

• Anglesey_Circuit_Small.jpg
    Anglesey_Circuit_Small.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 4
  • G-BKVS_small.jpg
    G-BKVS_small.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 8
Kev Hughes said:
Yes Scrumpy, thanks, I made a full recovery, it was just a combination of a series of very fast crashes, where I was amazingly little harmed, and having three very young children to care of, I decided that enough was enough, it was the toughest decision of my life it took me a week to make the decision but in retrospect I think it was the right one.

Anyway here are a couple of pics to hopefully entertain, one is of the Anglesey circuit that I took this summer, and the other is of me in my flying machine, taken by my friend Roger Savage from his gyrocopter, as you can see, a far safer hobby than motorcycle racing! :D

nice, but does it have a meridan motor in it???

Back