Options for RGS carburetor intake manifolds?

murphus

Senior member
Apparently I removed the carbs from my RGS one time too many, as two of the intake manifolds/mounts/adapters tore away. Carbs have generally been easy to remove in the past. I've always made sure each carb is showing movement in its manifold once the clamps are loose and is not stuck to the rubber before further removal. Never had a problem. All seemed normal this time until I realized the carbs weren't pulling loose, rather the manifolds for cylinders #1 and #2 were tearing away. #3 pulled away cleanly. Are there options for replacement, or should I stick with OEM? RGS Intake.jpg
 
Try Wolfgang - he's been able to supply replacement mounts similar to OE in the (distant) past.
Otherwise it'll be a case of joining many of us who have fitted alloy stubs with rubber mounts sized to fit. Again Wolfgang can provide.
 
The RGS manifolds are made of very poor quality rubber and start cracking after about five years. My RGS and SCF1000 are both on their third set. Somehow Japanese bikes don't have this problem and the manifolds seem to last forever.

Wolfgang does have new ones. I got some about six months ago. They are expensive, about $250 for three! The new ones seem to be a different type of rubber so maybe they will last longer then the factory ones.
 
Last edited:
Otherwise it'll be a case of joining many of us who have fitted alloy stubs with rubber mounts sized

I think that‘s the better option, ask Red or OCT…. or Duc paddy?
 
Turns out I'd replaced these 10 years ago, bought from Wolfgang. Totally forgot until I looked at my maintenance notes. So apparently they're good for that long. I like the idea of alloy stubs and rubber mounts.
 
Murphys...sounds like I had done same thing as you...got some about 10 years ago from Wolfgang and they developed air leaks a few years ago that were very hard to see or test even with the spray technique. Couldnt balance the carbs consitently. The new ones I got last year from him were a different design. They made a difference as soon as I put them on.
 
Got a new set of manifolds for my RGS from a source in Victoria; the design is slightly different, they have a narrow ridge around the mating surface that I guess is designed to crush, making a good seal.
 
I was more than a bit surprised at how badly this set declined. Absolutely toast. I'll check in with Wolfgang when he gets back, sounds from what both you and Legs are saying that the latest ones are better. It is confusing to me how the Japanese intakes seems to last forever. The ones on my 1976 Suzuki GT185 are still robust.
 
I was more than a bit surprised at how badly this set declined. Absolutely toast. I'll check in with Wolfgang when he gets back, sounds from what both you and Legs are saying that the latest ones are better. It is confusing to me how the Japanese intakes seems to last forever. The ones on my 1976 Suzuki GT185 are still robust.
I find this thread very interesting. The rubber intakes on mine are like new, I didn’t realise there was a known issue with them, although maybe they’ve been replaced. I too have never needed to replace any on old jap bikes.
I recall discussion about OE aluminium versions cracking on other earlier Laverdas, although was that only when there was no insulator?
 
Have had continuous problems over the last forty years on my RGS, mainly from the mating surface hardening and warping, ended up sanding down the jointing area to get a flat surface and manufacturing a gasket. Never a satisfactory solution so hopefully these new ones will solve the problem.
 
I bought my last pair (I also use them on the 500 twins) from Richard S. I assume he got them from the same supplier as Wolfgang, and the guy that bought up Richard’s stock can still supply them in the UK.
 
I got a set from Wolfgang last week. I bought a heap of parts and I don't have the receipt in front of me, but I don't think they were that expensive. I think the expensive boots are between the carb and airbox. The old carb-to-cylinder boots on my recently-purchased TS Mirage were slightly too long. Wolfgang said they were Guzzi pieces. They made the carb tops rub on the tank. I'm pretty sure he said they could be cut shorter, but they were old anyway so I replaced them. But if you need something for now you might be able to use the Guzzi parts. Wolfgang is on vacation for three weeks.
 
I just checked Andy Wagner and he lists them for 99.72 euros each. So 300 euros for a set!

If Wolfgang has them for $60 a set, I am going to order some more.
 
That was $20 each, $60 for a set.

Thinking about it, they might have been Guzzi manifold boots and he cut them to the correct length, with the inside shoulder correctly against the carb.

At any rate, Wolfgang sold me a correct set of manifold boots for $60.
 
Back
Top