Paul LeClair newest project July 2023

Hi all

I am thrilled the 2024 Can-Am will likely get Diane back out on the road with me, we'll see. I rode the Can-Am three wheeler less than one km on the test ride, no strong opinions about it yet one way or the other. Both Diane and I are taking a Can-Am Spyder riding course from a local well regarded motorcycle training school , we are signed up for the first course in early April.

the Can-Am Spyder has power steering, and lots of electronics for stability control. My initial impression is similar to Steve G's comment that it seems sort of like a snowmobile, decisive handle bar input required. In this case, made easier by the power steering. The claims are that the 2024 models have a number of significant improvements, which is why she didn't buy the heavily discounted left over 2023's still available.

the Spyder is big. wide, and heavy. No clutch lever. Has to be upshifted with the paddle shifter, but automatically downshifts. It has reverse. It has every creature comfort and electronic gizmo you could ask for in a car. It seems unlikely to be easy to tip over. I don't know anyone who has one, but browsing the forums and YouTube there are lots of positive comments and great enthusiasm.

Anyway, well worth a try to get Diane back out on bike trips with me. I am hopeful it works out for her, I have cleared out valuable garage space to make room for it...... ;)
 
You can't lane split with them so not a commuter option. My Miata (now sold) was faster around corners and stopped quicker I know because one of the Doc's I worked with had one and we traversed some mountain roads together. A better option to the 3 wheelers is a LS V8 Mazda conversion, sounds right up your alley Paul
Yes, lane splitting is a big problem. Back before I retired and was still commuting 90 miles a day on a bike, I would on occasion see the same one about once a week. He could not lane split and was stuck sitting in traffic. Then summer came and once it got up over 100 degrees and he was still sitting in traffic with no protection from the sun, he looked like he was going to drop dead from the heat. One day when traffic was stopped completely due to a truck dumping lumber all over the road and we all sat waiting in 106 degrees, I spoke to him, he already had the Can Am for sale and was going to get a motorcycle.
 
Hi Paul. I've never ridden a Can-Am but would be interested in having a go on one. Although I don't think it's likely to happen any time soon because I don't know anybody who has one.
I'm not convinced that they're very much safer than a 2-wheeled motorcycle. They reduce the potential to fall over due to loss of tyre adhesion, but I'm sure they're just as susceptible to crashing as a bike in other ways like over-cooking a corner or being taken out by a dopey car driver. And without a car body with airbags and seat belts, you're still just as exposed as you are on a bike. But I suppose it's all a matter of rider confidence. If Diane feels safer on the Can-Am, then you've eliminated that barrier to her riding. If she likes the Can-Am and she wants to get out on rides with you, then it's all good.
I don't think I'd ever go the Can-Am route if for any reason I become unable to ride a 2-wheeler. It seems to me that 3-wheeled vehicles like the Can-Am and bikes converted to trikes have all the disadvantages of cars combined with the disadvantages of motorcycles, but with very few of their advantages. For example, they take up as much room on the road as a car, but don't have the carrying capacity or weather protection that a car has. You're just as exposed to crap weather as you are on a bike, but you don't get to do fun things like lean into corners, pull wheelies, etc.
This may all sound a bit hypocritical because as you're probably aware I own a three-wheeled device - a bike with sidecar. But a sidecar makes a little more sense to me than other types of 3-wheelers. Yes, it has the same issue of requiring more road real-estate than a solo bike, but the sidecar offers a huge amount of carrying capacity that you don't get with the Spyder or a conventional trike. You can use the space beside the bike for pretty much anything. One of the things I'd like to do with mine is to make a quick-detach system so I can easily remove the passenger capsule so that I can put other body types on there. For example, a flat tray for general cargo (including my sea kayak), or a sleeping pod with cooking facilities for overnight trips. Try doing that with a Can-Am!
The other thing I like about sidecars is their lop-sidedness. In the sensible world that may seem like a negative, but in the motorcycling universe it makes them so much fun to hoon around on. Smoking up the rear wheel of the bike in right-hand turns and lofting the sidecar wheel in left turns is all part of the joyful silliness of sidecar riding (Being in Australia, my sidecar is on the left. It works the other way in countries that drive on the right-hand side of the road). A bike with a sidecar is one of the few completely insane, ridiculous things you can take out on the road that's actually legal.
 
So what's the Helmet law requirement for these, keen to know that for Sidecars as well. Seat belt for Sidecar passengers? Just curious. What licence requirement as well for both? As all 3-wheelers, except those Sidecars that tilt off vertically, or do they steer like a car snowmobile as well, don't behave anything like a bike I guess it's a car licence.
https://www.dgsidecars.com/
 
One of the things I'd like to do with mine is to make a quick-detach system so I can easily remove the passenger capsule so that I can put other body types on there. For example, a flat tray for general cargo (including my sea kayak), or a sleeping pod with cooking facilities for overnight trips.
Jeeze Cam, my kayak is over 5 metres long, you'd have to be careful. They make little caravans I see towed around behind monster Goldwings, could surely also be towed behind a Spyder. Sidecars really are great contraptions, there is a reason some people get addicted to them.
 
We passed the Anual Ulysses Club, an older type of Bike Club. Me calling them old, that's a bit of a joke. Anyway, they were heading the other way on an Oxley ride we did. What a Circus that was. Trikes towing mini caravans, everyone including the solo bikes had at least a huge trailer being towed. Well, suppose they were out having fun. thankfully not holding us up.
 
Jeeze Cam, my kayak is over 5 metres long, you'd have to be careful. They make little caravans I see towed around behind monster Goldwings, could surely also be towed behind a Spyder. Sidecars really are great contraptions, there is a reason some people get addicted to them.
My kayak is around 5 metres too. As long as there's clearance for the bike's front wheel to turn it should be OK on a flatbed sidecar. Might need some care to avoid running aground when negotiating kerb crossings or speed humps.

My only way to transport it at present is on a trailer behind my van. That whole rig must be around 10m long or more.

It's not a new idea ...
kayak.JPG
 
Watsonian i think produced a detatchable boat sidecar.
Where I am in Canterbury, there's a heap of ironman/coast to coast type people. There are roof racks available to accept a bike one side
and a kayak on the other. When the coast to coast comes around it seems like every second 4X4 has those on the roof.
Possibly easier to use than a trailer.
 
Pimp the sucker out! You know you want to 😉

Hi Vince

when I mentioned to Diane that I could "improve" the performance of her new Can-Am, maybe add an Akropovic exhaust to liven up the sound a bit, and as a turbo kit is already available for the 1,330 cc Rotax triple a turbo upgrade should be quick and easy, I have been severely warned to leave her Can-Am alone........ :eek: ;)
 
Hi Vince

when I mentioned to Diane that I could "improve" the performance of her new Can-Am, maybe add an Akropovic exhaust to liven up the sound a bit, and as a turbo kit is already available for the 1,330 cc Rotax triple a turbo upgrade should be quick and easy, I have been severely warned to leave her Can-Am alone........ :eek: ;)
Even before anyone said they were expecting it. You are incurable Paul.
 
I rode Diane's new 2024 Can Am Spyder F3T home from the dealership today, dodging rain and snow.

Diane is thrilled. She spent the evening reading the manual, lots of electronic doohickeys to figure out. We are both booked for an upcoming Can Am Spyder training course from a local motorcycle training service, later in April

The Can Am fills garage space of 2 or 3 conventional motorcycles, and garage space was already at a premium around here. I just sold the 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage to make some space.

A couple of photos.
 

Attachments

  • Diane 1.jpg
    Diane 1.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 52
  • Diane 2.jpg
    Diane 2.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Diane 3.jpg
    Diane 3.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 52
It’s a smart move bringing your pressure washer in, away from the cold, potentially freezing up errant water in the pump.
I'm scrupulous about completely draining my pressure washer after every use to prevent ice fracturing the pumpcase.
I've seen others suffer from it, too many times.
 
I'm scrupulous about completely draining my pressure washer after every use to prevent ice fracturing the pumpcase.
I've seen others suffer from it, too many times.
I tend to be overly fussy on my ‘stuff’, hence my ‘still a first pull start’ 1982 Honda lawn mower, and my Honda powered pressure washer. It’s tricky with my pressure washer though, as you’ve got to run it out to drain it, without overheating g the pump as it’s essentially water cooled.
 
I tend to be overly fussy on my ‘stuff’, hence my ‘still a first pull start’ 1982 Honda lawn mower, and my Honda powered pressure washer. It’s tricky with my pressure washer though, as you’ve got to run it out to drain it, without overheating g the pump as it’s essentially water cooled.
I lay mine on its back/water inlet down, pull the trigger and elevate the outlet hose. Gravity does the rest.
 
I lay mine on its back/water inlet down, pull the trigger and elevate the outlet hose. Gravity does the rest.
I do the same, at least for a bit, don’t want to dry run the engine. My Honda power is a ‘splash’ type lubrication system.
 
Back
Top