RGS Corsa Silencers

Stoutgoose

Junior member
Location
UK
Does anyone know if all Corsas were fitted with chrome silencers? I cannot find any period images of Corsas with anything other than chrome silencers fitted.
My late model Corsa came with original silencers (stamped 63 503 193) that are painted black and I am wondering whether to have them chromed (if that was the original finish) in order to keep it looking stock.
For context, carefully rubbing the paint back reveals mild steel and absolutely no evidence of chrome which makes me wonder if black was an option?
 
Fair point; as stock as they came unless you specified a 3 into 1. Trying to work out if black was an option or something done later in the bike’s life.
 
I believe all Corsas came with chrome...but the factory was on its last innings so anything was possible! Black silencers were used on SFC1000, and some RGA variants
 
All the ones i've ever laid my peepers on were chromed.....with insert at rear Black.

Maybe in a previous life your Corsa;s chrome silencers had rotted out, and were replaced with SFC Jobbies...?
 
Rob’s comment made me think and I checked the SFC parts manual. The Corsa section doesn’t specify chrome in the description, however the SFC one does. Question answered; ones marked with this part number should have been chrome originally. Thanks all.IMG_2265.jpeg
 
To Paul’s point my RGS has pukka black laverda down pipes and I’ve seen others with these. Most are chrome.
.......not to mention the differing mirrors etc....🤪
 
I am VERY sure the silencers that came with your bike were the ones fitted when new Steve, it is not going to fall in line with all Corsa's, take for example the fibre glass side panels, which are the genuine ones supplied as new, one can only guess that no further bayflex parts were available and not viable to get a tiny batch made, maybe less than five in number, the original front pipes were black as was the collector, but they were very rusty and holed in places.
CLEM

for those that dont know I owned this Corsa for 20 years and simply "never got round to doing it"
it was a one owner bike when it came to me and was very well known in Laverda circles for many years, many dealers and individuals tried to buy it, I made that happen,
 
Thanks Clem. The down pipes and collector polished up beautifully, so the silencers are at the chromers to match. I have black original silencers on my red RGS and they look good, but I think chrome will suit the black of the Corsa. Any luck with Paul’s bike?
 
FWIK, the Corsa pipes differ to the standard RGS ones only by 4 x 8mm holes, drilled into the back plate. Easy fix, if you could get hold of standard RGS pipes...
Umm, not quite correct, Lothar. The main centre hole is larger too, for the length of the associated internal tube. I believe those 4 outer drillings appeared on later RGS/A silencers ex factory.
 
in aswer to Steves question, Pauls Corsa listed on ebay with many enquireies and a few offers that dont even warant a reply (no I dont want an ancient Transit van in PX, I already have one) as usual it would seem likely that it will all happen (or not) at the last minute, this might clash with me being in Germany, so probably more excretia hitting the air curculator!
 
Umm, not quite correct, Lothar. The main centre hole is larger too, for the length of the associated internal tube. I believe those 4 outer drillings appeared on later RGS/A silencers ex factory.
Hi Rob, I think you are not correct here... if you look at the parts catalogue, you will find the following exhausts for the RGx-Series bikes:
63 503 193 - these are the unmodified chrome exhausts, used on RGS, see page 36, Part 24
63 503 218 - those are the black variante of the above for RGA, see page 44, Part 14

Then on Page 47, there is the modification described as 4 x 8mm extra holes (plus the different jetting, extra holes in the airbox etc.). These are offered later on in the parts cataloge (page 56, parts 24, Chrome and black, with and without the 8mm hole; no mention at all of a bigger outlet...! See: https://laverdaforum.com/xf/resources/62/) as factory pre-drilled exhausts for the Corsa/SFC1000 variante

So from my perspective, it is:
63 503 193 = Chrome exhaust without holes
63 503 254 = same Chrome exhaust WITH factory pre-drilled 8mm holes

63 503 218 = black exhausts without holes
63 503 253 = same black exhausts WITH factory pre-drilled 8mm holes

I think if RGS/SFC silencers with bigger outlets exist, they are maybe not factory made or the factory did not describe this on the text in the parts book... But then - why did the describe the 8mm holes...?
 
Have to say in this case Lothar I know I am right! Was at Windy Corner when modification of RGS silencers to Corsa spec was investigated. Original thought was a quick fix by drilling 4 holes. Then the main outlet was measured...
 
@Beucars this is exactly what I refered to.

@Rob I take your word for granted then that there is a difference in the outlet. Documentation does not show it and with the documentation above, it even points into a different direction. But that's Laverda again, eh, nothing is 100% certain ;-) Maybe they started off with the modification and changed to different silencers when the Corsa and SFC's were production bikes and not just upgrades - who knows...
 
I was hoping to improve performance by drilling those 4 holes in a set of not real tidy Lamfrancie seamed mufflers and then that bigger outlet size was mentioned, this was maybe 20 years ago on one of the forums back then. I think 32mm dia to 38mm but don't quote me. My mufflers were the smaller outlet size. Get your tape measures out and confirm this, easy fix.
 
Back
Top