RGS Front Brake Hoses

murphus

What are people using when replacing front hydraulic brake hoses, 1984 RGS? The aftermarket appears to offer only stainless, which I know is good, but they do not have the couplings at the brake splitter end that let you clock the hose to keep it from twisting like a pretzel during install. Wolfgang offers said stainless options only ...

What are people using when replacing front hydraulic brake hoses, 1984 RGS? The aftermarket appears to offer only stainless, which I know is good, but they do not have the couplings at the brake splitter end that let you clock the hose to keep it from twisting like a pretzel during install. Wolfgang offers said stainless options only ...
I don't know the measurements for an RGS,best check?
These are what I used on my Ceriani equipped 3cE: 2 x Rear brake Hose for Mercedes Benz W123 (also an Alfa, but I can't remember which model).EBay listing.jpgHOS3399 specifications.jpg

Hel who are here and in the States make excellent lines and will make to any length and fitment as required either a picture and measurement supplied to them or you can send in your old lines. They do kits for Laverda's including the RGS. Personally I am not a fan of just stainless braided due to rub damage they do silver or carbon black coated braided and lots of other colours.

Definitely, my first attempt acted like a round file on my front guard, I had them shrink-wrapped later. Worked well.

I don't know what fittings the HEL RGS kit provides. I use their (UK) made to measure service. Means I can get the necessary loop from caliper to splitter (not too much length or it will hit the oil cooler under braking!) and use a 90 degree banjo on to the splitter. The banjo can be rotated in the crimped fitting using pliers to get rid of any twist in the braided line. The black sheathing option keeps the look something like original.

PXL_20240307_185536385.jpg

1980 Jota or RGS with calipers mounted behind the fork leg
Top hose, Black, Master cylinder to splitter, 285mm long, 20° x 10mm banjo fitting one end, H693-3/8 to H692-3/8
Splitter to Caliper, Black, 460mm long, 20° x 10mm banjo H693-31 to Dash 3 female H650-3/8
M10 x 1.0 to Dash 3 stainless nipple adaptor

above is what I email to HEL in Brisbane when ordering hoses,

I use goodridge 'build a line'. With those you can spin the banjos to whatever rotation is needed before locking down.

I haven’t fitted Hel on either Laverda yet but did replace on my Triumph scrambler the ends all swivel which clearly helps. Had a made to measure line made up to move the rear caliper above the swing arm why would they undersling it right in the line of road muck! Detail from Red is great I will call Hel and get it compared to their ‘stock’ RGS set.

Very unlikely the rear caliper will get road muck from the rear wheel - it's completely out of the way. My bike was absolutely filthy after a 3hr ride in big rain on shitty roads - rear caliper wasn't dirty. If you want to use a frame-mounted rod to employ the rear brake as a pro-dive or neutral mechanism you MUST mount the caliper underslung.

Only prob I had with HEL was that I specified M10x1.25 for Yamaha Brembo and they still sent M10x1.0 for 'Brembo' Brembo - and didn't respond to my email asking for what i ordered.

They clearly explain how to swivel connectors to give you the desired angle.

1980 Jota or RGS with calipers mounted behind the fork leg
Top hose, Black, Master cylinder to splitter, 285mm long, 20° x 10mm banjo fitting one end, H693-3/8 to H692-3/8
Splitter to Caliper, Black, 460mm long, 20° x 10mm banjo H693-31 to Dash 3 female H650-3/8
M10 x 1.0 to Dash 3 stainless nipple adaptor

above is what I email to HEL in Brisbane when ordering hoses,
Excellent, thanks for the measurements, sounds like HEL is the way to go.

Back