SF sold for real money

I've never understood why well restored bikes that are offered at fair prices are considered too expensive. A first time restoration will be a humbling and very sobering experience for most, making them seriously re-think their initial decision. The 15K SF they walked away from when shopping will then most likely look like a bargain!

I consider this particular bike a bit OTT pricewise, too many aftermarket and incorrect bits on it and not very well put together, just judging from the pics. Who knows what's going on under that fresh paint?

piet
 
I've never understood why well restored bikes that are offered at fair prices are considered too expensive. A first time restoration will be a humbling and very sobering experience for most, making them seriously re-think their initial decision. The 15K SF they walked away from when shopping will then most likely look like a bargain!

I consider this particular bike a bit OTT pricewise, too many aftermarket and incorrect bits on it and not very well put together, just judging from the pics. Who knows what's going on under that fresh paint?

piet
The problem is the "well".
We know what it cost's to restore a bike. So if you're certain that the bike you're looking at is "well" restored, it warrants a high price. But how do you know?
The only thing you do know is that it'll cost you many thousands to put right if anything major is wrong.
Hence the comments about high prices.

Paul
 
WTF, surely you could make one from scratch for less than that. There would be no expectation of actually using it at that price.

bazzee
Some still use them. Seen a bloke at Collie Raceway riding a mint one. What sticks in my mind was seeing him in the pits throw himself under it when he slipped putting it on its stand. Not a young bloke, full credit to him as it didn't touch the ground.
 
The problem is the "well".
We know what it cost's to restore a bike. So if you're certain that the bike you're looking at is "well" restored, it warrants a high price. But how do you know?
The only thing you do know is that it'll cost you many thousands to put right if anything major is wrong.
Hence the comments about high prices.

Paul
Reciepts, photo documentary, reputations of the people that did the work, etc, etc. If you command high prices, might be a good idea to provide a certain amount of justification.

Just looking at and listening to a bike, I can decide for myself if it might meet my own standards. Of course, if looking to buy, closer scrutiny is called for. Routing and condition of control cables and wiring is often a good indicator of the condition of the rest of the bike. Rusty/odd fasteners and incorrect components often magically disappear under the bling of a fresh splash of paint, especially if it's orange, and a newly upholstered seat.

piet
 
My 3c was missing a muffler and unbelievably grotty when I test rode it. I had to buy it, it needed a wash so badly so I ponied up. Not so good a reason to buy.
 
For the first 20 years I was an obsessive washer, but in the end, found out water is BAD for reliability. It's a waste of time these days as I need to cross the croc slide of a driveway. I would be happy with less mud in and on the tyres coming out and going back into the shed.
 
Reciepts, photo documentary, reputations of the people that did the work, etc, etc. If you command high prices, might be a good idea to provide a certain amount of justification.

Just looking at and listening to a bike, I can decide for myself if it might meet my own standards. Of course, if looking to buy, closer scrutiny is called for. Routing and condition of control cables and wiring is often a good indicator of the condition of the rest of the bike. Rusty/odd fasteners and incorrect components often magically disappear under the bling of a fresh splash of paint, especially if it's orange, and a newly upholstered seat.

piet
Some of us know that, but a lot of people out there are being had, and keeping prices high.
That does however, keep the professionals busy and the second hand parts market healthy.

Paul
 
For the first 20 years I was an obsessive washer, but in the end, found out water is BAD for reliability. It's a waste of time these days as I need to cross the croc slide of a driveway. I would be happy with less mud in and on the tyres coming out and going back into the shed.

Maybe you need to spend a few bucks on the driveway. That's assuming you own the property.

If you're not the land owner, then maybe a cheapo temporary solution will do. Grab a load of old forklift pallets (can be had for nothing). Knock them apart and lay the planks down across the grass/mud to make a corduroy road. I reckon if you get a couple of slabs of beer and fire up the BBQ you'll have plenty of helpers. If you need to get rid of it when you leave the property, someone will take the planks as firewood. Laying them on a sheet of orange Forticon will make the removal job easier and cleaner.

Yeah, I know. Who am I to talk about navigable driveways? Anyone who's seen my driveway will understand what I mean by that. At least it's not muddy, just a bit bumpy and rocky.
 
I am the owner and its heritage-listed federation-style double brick home so mods can be a problem. I am looking at a plastic truck-rated grid that allows grass to grow through it. But the damage requires about 5 tonnes of top dressing first and alternative parking while all that happens. Plus it's better to do this in lawn growing summer than now. That's for the car, the bike shed is another can of worms as well.
 
I'd be surprised if heritage listing would prevent you building all-weather access to your property. The options might be limited by the heritage people though.

How many square metres of area do you need to cover?
 
It will take 2 sections of that matting side by side. Its approx 10m x 6m It's way cheaper and easier than pouring a slab, plus easily removable to access the sewer if needed. I am using heritage listing as an excuse till the next lawn growing session. It also needs an H4 treaded pine border to hold it in place and scribe a level for the top dressing so it doesn't have a step or trip Hasid.
 
Last edited:
It will take 2 sections of that matting side by side. Its approx 10m x 6m It's way cheaper and easier than pouring a slab, plus easily removable to access the sewer if needed. I am using heritage listing as an excuse till the next lawn growing session. It also needs an H4 treaded pine border to hold it in place and scribe a level for the top dressing so it doesn't have a step or trip Hasid.
Maybe try these:
1660637582934.png

Although i am guessing it will be a bit spendy and make sewer access difficult.

bazzee
 
Back
Top