SF tappet adjuster with ball foot

martymoose

Hero member
Just tried searching the site, I thought we had a thread on these. From memory they are Husqvarna or some sort of aircraft part. Normal ones have pitted, the ball adjuster has a flat foot sits over the whole face of the valve. Anybody remember where they came from?
Cheers
 
Yes, Rotax Marty. Bert Flood Imports in Melbourne are your friends. You will probably want to shorten them and regrind a flat for adjusting (I just use an angle grinder cutoff wheel and made the tip a rectangle rather than a square) and may have to remove a little metal from the underside of the rocker. I can vouch for them - have done loads of km on them - no more ugly pitting.
 
I don't recall them being expensive at all. I can find my receipt and let you know. Worth every penny IMHO. I hated seeing those pitted valve stems and tappet screws.
 
I've been chasing these Rotax screws for a year now.
Rotax says the screws are in the backlog.

I had already successfully used similar, slimmer hemispherical head screws for several years in the 90´s.
The wear is dramatically lower. It is a little more difficult to get the feeler gauge between the screw and the valve end.
Adjustment is much more precise as there is no unevenly worn screw end.
I set the valve clearance a little tighter (inlet 0.13, outlet 0.18).

Thomas aus LAU
 
Perhaps they are so expensive now is because these adjusters are used in Rotax aircraft engines. Through in the liability costs and the price goes up.

Jim
The place I got mine from is the Oz Rotax distributor and sells only aircraft stuff these days (I think). I first came across them in a Husky dirt bike that Lee was working ion - it came std with a Rotax engine in it. Last time I was there I think the guy said old Ferraris are also recipients.
 
The place I got mine from is the Oz Rotax distributor and sells only aircraft stuff these days (I think). I first came across them in a Husky dirt bike that Lee was working ion - it came std with a Rotax engine in it. Last time I was there I think the guy said old Ferraris are also recipients.
Don't know about old Ferraris. The single cam engines had roller followers.

Paul
 
The place I got mine from is the Oz Rotax distributor and sells only aircraft stuff these days (I think). I first came across them in a Husky dirt bike that Lee was working ion - it came std with a Rotax engine in it. Last time I was there I think the guy said old Ferraris are also recipients.
The first KTM four stroke it was, the toothed belt cam drive motor.
 
Don't know about old Ferraris. The single cam engines had roller followers.

Paul
I think they're talking about the other end of the rocker Paul.

If you have a lathe, I don't reckon it would be too difficult to make your own ball end adjusters. Bearing balls are easy enough to source. Just grind a flat on the ball, then modify a socket-head bolt (bore out the hexagonal hole) to hold the ball.

What's the thread in the rocker? Will VW adjusters fit/ (picture below). I think they have a M8 thread and are readily available for about $5 each.
 

Attachments

  • ball end adjuster.JPG
    ball end adjuster.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 12
M7 thread. I only trust the Rotax ones - tried and tested by a reputable engine builder - have heard bad reports about aftermarket 'elephants feet' ones.
 
Back
Top