I haven't experienced it myself but from what I read from others, it happened really quickly, sometimes without any noticable sign of warning. Maybe some vibrations...? A german Laverda fellow reported the engine went off, he could restart it again but some kilometers later it made some really bad noise and the engine got stuck.
I think you have two ways to handle it: either carefully warm up the bike and enjoy it as long as it goes well with regular, high quality engine oil exchanges or take the money into the hand while it's still fixable and get it done before something happens. Depending on which bike you have, there is a list of things that would be worth checking while the engine is open then. You end up with costs probably higher than the bikes purchase price though to get it fixed. Once done properly, they are quite reliable though... HTH