SOLD - pair of 4C cams

a14rgs

Hero member
Location
Wiltshire, UK
Pair of genuine 4C exhaust and inlet cams, including sprockets, for 180 triple.

Inlet cam is in excellent condition and can be fitted and used as is.
Exhaust cam requires reprofiling and cannot be used as is. This cam was installed in my '77 Jota a few years ago, having been reprofiled by Joy Engineering. Sadly (and unbeknown to me at the time...) it was reprofiled incorrectly and subsequently damaged the top end - new exhaust valves, buckets, guides etc. were needed.
For it now to be used safely and reliably, it needs correctly reprofiling. However, this is definitely worth doing, as genuine 4C cams rarely become available.
I paid GBP£600 for a replacement usable pair a few years ago, so am asking GBP£350 for this pair, plus worldwide shipping at cost.

20220801_141829.jpg20220801_141851.jpg20220801_141910.jpg20220801_141846.jpg20220801_141838.jpg20220801_141823.jpg
 
I bought a set of F1 cams for a 180 from Keith really early on and had big trouble just like all the others that did as well. This blindsided all involved at the time, no one was doing the wrong thing, just a horror to all. Cost Keith a hell of a lot and he being an outstanding bloke fixed all that had issues to 100% satisfaction. I don't remember who made those cams, I heard something about a change from Father to son in the business and a short circuit in info on hardening happening but they had a hardening issue and eat cam followers at quick time, the fix was cam buckets that matched the heat treatment of the cams, fitting those new buckets wasn't easy either as they needed hand fitting that took ages. One other point is A11 cams don't have enough meat to be profiled to full F1 spec, don't know about 4C spec, so it's good to be aware of that. BTW I really love the performance of these F1 cams, they are the last cams designed by the factory for RGS engines and have really wide performance available.
 
A bloke selling off various Lav stuff, makes me think he has a cunning plan. Do tell Al…
No cunning plan (or stunt), Chris 😊

I sold the Jota as I decided that (for me) three roadworthy bikes is sufficient. My three were all Laverda triples, but I also wanted a 'daily' that didn't require the level of cosseting that Laverdas tend to.
So, the Jota's gone to a new home, the RGS and 1200 remain and a newer addition is due this week. The few parts I've listed this week are no longer required by me and therefore I've offered them at realistic prices 😘
 
I bought a set of F1 cams for a 180 from Keith really early on and had big trouble just like all the others that did as well. This blindsided all involved at the time, no one was doing the wrong thing, just a horror to all. Cost Keith a hell of a lot and he being an outstanding bloke fixed all that had issues to 100% satisfaction. I don't remember who made those cams, I heard something about a change from Father to son in the business and a short circuit in info on hardening happening but they had a hardening issue and eat cam followers at quick time, the fix was cam buckets that matched the heat treatment of the cams, fitting those new buckets wasn't easy either as they needed hand fitting that took ages. One other point is A11 cams don't have enough meat to be profiled to full F1 spec, don't know about 4C spec, so it's good to be aware of that. BTW I really love the performance of these F1 cams, they are the last cams designed by the factory for RGS engines and have really wide performance available.
Thanks for that info Vince, I thought there may be more to it than met the eye. Piper cams aren't a bunch of cowboys though as far as I know.
 
I forgot who it was but they are well know cam makers, as I said it just blindsided everyone. It took a while to sort but that was some years back now.
 
Nah, Cam is surely the product of a high tech laboratory, such clever folk are not conceived in the normal way, by mere mortals :)
 
No cunning plan (or stunt), Chris 😊

I sold the Jota as I decided that (for me) three roadworthy bikes is sufficient. My three were all Laverda triples, but I also wanted a 'daily' that didn't require the level of cosseting that Laverdas tend to.
So, the Jota's gone to a new home, the RGS and 1200 remain and a newer addition is due this week. The few parts I've listed this week are no longer required by me and therefore I've offered them at realistic prices 😘
The suspense Alan, is untenable.
Are you at last getting a reasonable bike? A 750 Laverda? Cheap, easy to maintain, ultra reliable, more than enough performance and quite suited as a ride to work hack.

Paul
 
Back
Top