South Southern California

Any one interested in a get together ride, the last time I saw another Laverda on the road was 2005 NALOC rally. Simple casual Sunday ride no big event. The weather has turned perfect and most of the smoke has cleared. I live in Riverside county Palm Desert to be exact so a lot of mountain road options available if the fires don't close the roads. Palomar, Idylwild, Julian, Big Bear, Borrego Springs just putting it out there. Any takers? Got to get it done before the first snows replace the pool weather, Cheers Dave
 
78jotadave said:
Got to get it done before the first snows replace the pool weather, Cheers Dave

Too late for me ....... temperature getting up to a high of -1 or 30 degrees (french vs english degrees). Got to snowblower on the back of the tractor now and getting ready to put the plough blade on the front.

Jim
 
Me too, high -10 C today , 10cm snow, got the mower deck off and the snow blade on. Bikes stored for the winter, studded snow tires going on the fleet next week. Did Palomar a couple of times, great ride up the mountain and down the other side, only problem were the squid US marines from USMC Pendleton riding like maniacs on their UJMs wearing only marine issue shorts, maybe a t shirt, and maybe a helmet. Lots of great riding roads in California, rode to Laguna Seca many years for Moto GP and WSBK always back roads, no interstate unless absolutely necessary.
Stu
 
psg said:
Me too, high -10 C today , 10mm snow, got the mower deck off and the snow blade on. Bikes stored for the winter, studded snow tires going on the fleet next week. Did Palomar a couple of times, great ride up the mountain and down the other side, only problem were the squid US marines from USMC Pendleton riding like maniacs on their UJMs wearing only marine issue shorts, maybe a t shirt, and maybe a helmet. Lots of great riding roads in California, rode to Laguna Seca many years for Moto GP and WSBK always back roads, no interstate unless absolutely necessary.
Stu

Yours is green ...... mine is an orange triple.

I sure would like to ride California someday. I hear stories of some amazing rides from North California and Oregon.

Jim
 
A group ride would be great but the Sierra's are getting quite cool ... and I'm off to work for 3 weeks.
Getting down to zero at night but lovely days, surprisingly, no snow on the ground yet (no moisture of any kind). Next year for sure. Two bikes put away already and the last ride on the 1200 today.
 
Dave,

I am 70 miles west of you on the other side of the mountains in Woodcrest (Riverside county). A group ride would be nice as I too have not seen another Laverda on the road since the 2005 Laverda rally. The ride better be in the next few weeks before the snow starts. There has got to be some other Laverda owners in Southern California that still ride?

Southern California was always Laverda's biggest market in the USA and yet all the bikes have disappeared? Other than at the few events back when the club existed,  I think in the 43 years I have been riding bikes I have maybe seen a Laverda on the road less than 5 times.

Regards,
Bruce
 
Bruce, can 2 riders be a group? For you 215 to the 60 short squirt on the 10 to Banning then up the mountains on the 243 to Idylwild for coffee. The 243 is a brillliant road better with the new repairs. We could meet in Banning, let's see if anyone else comes forward if no takers it will be a duo of Laverda my mate will probably join us on his Beemer. Stay in touch, Dave  (jotadave@msn.com) (Lavflag)
 
depending on where southern California starts, don't forget to invite Richard K. from Pacific Grove (close to Monterey). I am not sure how much he reads here, but he is a very nice chap with a beautiful Jota, fully restored just some years ago.

EDIT: just looked up Woodcrest and distance to Pacific Grove and I am not sure anymore it makes sense to invite him. But who knows... Maybe good to meet somewhere in the middle or so.
 
Lothar, to date Bruce (1200ts) is the only rider to respond to my suggestion of a ride. Recently when I was on a ride to Idylwild a fellow approached us and we chatted turns out he just moved to La Quinta, 10 miles from my house and he has an RGS among other bikes so he could be in for the ride, 3 of us.

Two weeks ago I rode through Monterey, Pacific Grove and other places didn't see or hear of any other Laverdas, great trip 1300 miles round trip not one problem. Yeah Pacific Grove is 800km,s from me long way to come for a day ride. (bikebend)
 
I am in for the ride. Wonder why we have no interest from anyone in the Los Angeles area?

Perhaps we could meet half way in Banning and then up in to Idyllwild or start up there? Needs to happen before it gets too cold. I will be on my RGS as it is my only Laverda at the moment that needs no attention to ride it.

Bruce
 
helicopterjim said:
I didn't know there were folk who are bilingual in USA?

They're not. He messed up the abbreviation for kilometers.

Now, if you want to get really picky about such things ? your post (quoted above) is a statement, not a question. It shouldn't have a question mark at the end.  ;)
 
Dellortoman said:
They're not. He messed up the abbreviation for kilometers.

Now, if you want to get really picky about such things ? your post (quoted above) is a statement, not a question. It shouldn't have a question mark at the end.  ;)

You got me there ...... but I still question the possibility of someone in USA being able to use kilometres ...... as opposed to kilometers and since the abbreviation is messed up then I guess we may never know.

Jim
 
Yeah, I find it a bit odd that USA still uses imperial measurements and Fahrenheit when the rest of the world, including UK, has gone to metric units and Celsius for temperature. But the Yanks stuffed up the imperial units when it comes to volume. US gallons? WTF is that about?
 
The metric system was adopted as the official measurement standard for the USA in 1875. Other laws have been passed since then trying to get the metric system actually used. All have failed as imperial units work just fine for us and did for most of the world for hundreds of years. Many things are made in the USA using metric hardware but imperial is still dominant.

The measurement of time is not metric and yet we don't seem to have a problem with that.
 
And what about geometry??
When I worked as a model maker in San Francisco I had to get my head around 1/32, 1/8, 1/4 scales as oppose to 1:200, 1:100 and 1:50 scales. Lucky I started my working career in imperial back in 1971 but then had to change to metric the following year. Remember when timber quantities were measured in super feet?
 
Vaguely remembers hearing about it as a 1st-year apprentice but that was the first metric year in Oz so never used or saw it used. Although I did use an Imperial Staff when doing levelling work with Surveyors. Get your head around a measuring stick marked in feet and tenths of feet instead of inches. Tenths of feet allow trig calculations to be used as its decimal, bit hard doing cals in base 12. And after the maths, you convert back to feet and inches, what could possibly go wrong, as I hit my head repeatedly. Usually, at this point, I mention crashed Space Ships caused by this stupidity.
 
Try nautical measurements: One degree of latitude = one nautical mile, one nautical mile = ten cables, one cable = 200 yards.
One fathom = six feet.
Still used in navigation.
 
Back
Top