starter blues

Evan

Full member
Location
Texas
I have 2 chewed...Looks like they need armatures. Will call a local place & see if they can rebuild w/out... there are places that will do it but u have to ship out. Any suggestions? 1st pic I thought was mud dover or insect nest.
Going to try rocker spindles again...used rust blaster this time.
 

Attachments

  • IMGP0175.JPG
    IMGP0175.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMGP0174.JPG
    IMGP0174.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMGP0173.JPG
    IMGP0173.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMGP0172.JPG
    IMGP0172.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMGP0171.JPG
    IMGP0171.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMGP0170.JPG
    IMGP0170.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMGP0169.JPG
    IMGP0169.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 41
How much did they ask you?
Paul
I think it was about £250. I was amazed that they were even able to repair it as it was totally destroyed in the inside. It was caused by a faulty starter solenoid that stayed on. It almost happened again. The second time was caused by wear on the starter clutch leaving insufficient clearance to the crank. When the engine heated up and expanded, it caught the starter. Easily fixed on a lathe.
 
I think it was about £250. I was amazed that they were even able to repair it as it was totally destroyed in the inside. It was caused by a faulty starter solenoid that stayed on. It almost happened again. The second time was caused by wear on the starter clutch leaving insufficient clearance to the crank. When the engine heated up and expanded, it caught the starter. Easily fixed on a lathe.
Thanks. That's a very fair price. A lot less than what starter motors are going for.
It's usually due to starter freewheel maintenance issues.

Paul
 
Back
Top