Tapping camshaft A11

Colinward

New member
Location
Leeds uk
Hi
My 1200 is making tappetty noises.
The shims are in tolerance.
On inspection the central cylinder cam lobe is pointed rather than rounded.
I suspect this is the culprit,has anyone had issues similar to this?
 
Hi
My 1200 is making tappetty noises.
The shims are in tolerance.
On inspection the central cylinder cam lobe is pointed rather than rounded.
I suspect this is the culprit,has anyone had issues similar to this?
Yes!
Some years ago, my Jota had a very loud tapping noise from the #3 exhaust valve area.
After investigation, it was found that the cam profile was incorrect and, basically, the cam lobe was smacking the bucket; in turn, the shim became dislodged, the valve head peened over etc - hence the racket... 😬
A replacement camshaft, buckets, valves, guides etc and it was back in action.

For info, the defective camshaft was one that had apparently been reground to 4C spec by Joy Engineering in the UK. I subsequently bought a used camshaft in 'as new' condition.

Have you compared the valve clearance readings against the previous clearance checks? Information like this is so useful when trying to identify a potential fault.

Alan 😊
 
Cam shims staying the same, as previous check, I have a spare inlet camshaft with curves rather than pointed. It looks the same orientation as the exhaust apart from rev counter drive. Is it possible to use an inlet cam on the exhaust until I can obtain one?
 
Cam shims staying the same, as previous check, I have a spare inlet camshaft with curves rather than pointed. It looks the same orientation as the exhaust apart from rev counter drive. Is it possible to use an inlet cam on the exhaust until I can obtain one?
Last engine I reconditioned had 2 x A11 Inlet Camshafts in it and damage to No 1 exhaust cam bucket/bore so could tell that the engine had suffered an issue in the past centered around No 1 exhaust valve
Was going to change the Inlet cam out for a spare Exhaust cam that I have in stock as have stacks of A11 cams but out of curiosity I thought I would check the cam timing first, it was within 2 degrees of stock so left the Inlet now Exhaust cam in place
 
Hi Redax5
Thanks for that, I wanted to be sure before I changed the camshaft.
Hopefully that will remove the noise and all will be well.
On another point, do you carry( the gsxr wheel conversion )billet rear brake carrier on stock?
I am coming to Australia in mid October and require two for my conversions.
Regards Colin
 
Back
Top