VMCC Test Day, 1 October 2023

Andy J

Hero member
Location
Isle of Man
Despite a gloomy start, by the time I reached Jurby, in the north of the island, the weather had brightened up quite a bit and, generally, improved as the day wore on. However, the circuit never fully dried out from the overnight rain, so it was definitely a case of keeping your wits about you, particularly in the morning sessions.
I had planned to take the 350, as well as one of the F500s but, mistakenly as it turned out, I didn’t think I had time to go and dig it out from the back of my second lock-up. However, I was busy enough with the 500 and it had a good run, which is in fact the only run out for it all year.
I opted for the third of four groups, a combination of old race bikes and more ‘modern’ road bikes.
There were 3 sessions in the morning, riding anti-clockwise, and two in the afternoon, riding clockwise. Due to relatively low numbers, in the afternoon my group was combined with the fourth group, which was for race licence holders on predominately post classic Superbikes.
The usual protocols were requested, follow the travelling marshal for the first couple of laps and then respect your fellow rider by not carving them up into the corners etc.
With a slightly dodgy battery, and starter solenoid, fitted to the bike I was making use of the rollers to fire the bike up, so that added a bit of jeopardy to the starting process, but on most sessions I managed to get the bike started without too much hassle.
First session seemed to be going okay, the TM pulled in after his two laps and I set about chasing down the bikes in front, although I could barely see them through the smoke being laid down by some old Jap two-stroke in front. Fortunately I got passed him early on, so I could see and breathe more easily (he soon retired sensing his crank seals had given up the ghost) and weaved my way through the various puddles, only to be passed by a gesticulating TM, on his 765 Triumph, as I negotiated the top series of bends. He indicated I had to follow him off the circuit. Pulling in at the paddock gate I was informed my rear number plate was dropping off. Bum, I forgot to remove it after I had temporarily fixed it on when I had considered using the bike to go and spectate during the TT. Plate removed, I managed to get back out before the end of the session and complete a couple more laps. Talking to the TM later, he remarked how well I had been going and took some catching. 💪 Checking the bike over between sessions, I discovered the bolt holding the l/h side panel had also dropped out, so that required replacing.
Having replaced the bolt I was ready for the second session. I soon caught a rider on a Honda CBR900RR. I got by him but he then blasted past on the back straight. I ended up following him for the rest of the session as it was still a bit too damp to go for an overtake in the breaking zone or the corners and he had the stomp on me as we accelerated away from the corners.
Ahead of the third session, I checked the bike again to find a loose l/h foot peg. Probably a good job I spotted that.
I was a bit tardy getting out on the circuit and found myself fairly near the back of the pack, and behind the guy on the CBR again. Once the TM pulled in we both closed in on another slightly slower rider. The CBR seemed a bit reluctant to go for an overtake so we followed him for the rest of the lap. Sensing I could get stuck behind them for the whole session I made a plan to get ahead early in the next lap. I had noted the wet patch in the middle of the track on the first right hander. I knew they would head left, so I dived to the right and came out the corner in front and steadily pulled away and rode the track at my own pace. A friend, and fellow ex-TT rider, John Musson was spectating and congratulated me on my overtake, which he said definitely caught the other riders by surprise. He thought my lap times were around 1.26, which I thought was pretty reasonable for a test day and no bus stop chicane in use.
After lunch, riding my less favoured clockwise way round, the bus stop was in use, but riding a bit more conservatively it’s not such a balls ache to negotiate. I had another bit of a dice with my CBR shadow and before we left for the day he did thank me for making his day a bit more fun.
As I inadvertently left my iPad at home I haven’t got any photos, but I did see a photographer in the morning, so if I track down any action shots I will post them later.
 
I like how you document the good with the less good Andy, everybody has issues that need fixing and that's what makes for an interesting read. I need to make up a nut and bolt kit.
 
Back
Top