What is the story behind this photograph?

Peter White (legend).. Mark Muir's Spondon (legendary) Team Stranglers Stay Racing back in the (also legendary) day..
I'll let Mark tell the story.. he's good at that.. :p

:cool:
 
Last edited:
The short story is I sold it.. 😕
That photo would be 1987 at the DOCQ BEARS meeting held at Lakeside circuit.
Pete White was unbelievably fast.

The Spondon Jota worked very well for me. At high speed the Spondon created a hell of a lot less anxiety than the factory frame could throw back at me. Mission achieved.
Was great fanging down the New England Highway to attend a NSW Laverda Club rally out the back of Armidale in the late 80's. (anyone got any photos of that rally?) And it was good to be young. 😃

Originally that Spondon was built on a tight budget after importing it and that set of 40mm Forcella Italia's from Richard at Windy Corner.
It is now pleasing to see the improvements and maintenance that the current owner has done since to tidy it up proper. Top job. (y)
Cheers
 

Attachments

  • factory frame-spondon.JPG
    factory frame-spondon.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 47
  • spondon-project.jpg
    spondon-project.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 44
  • spondon-NSW.jpg
    spondon-NSW.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20170801_0090.jpg
    IMG_20170801_0090.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 48
Not to be forgotten though.. Mr. Muir did pilot the bike at times.. here he keeps Rad honest into Bus Stop..
Good times indeed.. ;)

:cool:
 

Attachments

  • Laverdas 1 and 2 Rad and Mark 1.jpg
    Laverdas 1 and 2 Rad and Mark 1.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 37
Found a few Mr Muir……
Thanks Hooksey. But different year and/or rally than the one I rode the Spondon down to.
Although I can spot a few QLD Laverda bikes mixed in with the gathering i.e. Rad's Jota and Rabbi's 3C.
Interesting to see a lot of young blokes riding a lot of Laverda cycles back then?? 🤔
 
Thanks Hooksey. But different year and/or rally than the one I rode the Spondon down to.
Although I can spot a few QLD Laverda bikes mixed in with the gathering i.e. Rad's Jota and Rabbi's 3C.
Interesting to see a lot of young blokes riding a lot of Laverda cycles back then?? 🤔
Mark, the same blokes riding the bikes these days are now old blokes on their old bikes, I am happy to be able to continue riding. Thanks for the story on the bike. Lance Weill, aka RickeyRacer (RIP), once had an identical bike in his shop in Costa Mesa, California, many years ago.
 
Thanks Hooksey. But different year and/or rally than the one I rode the Spondon down to.
Although I can spot a few QLD Laverda bikes mixed in with the gathering i.e. Rad's Jota and Rabbi's 3C.
Interesting to see a lot of young blokes riding a lot of Laverda cycles back then?? 🤔
Good one Hooksey, Ya even got a photo of my Jota (with Rad's Black and red jota behind it). Happy days.
I think that was a rally out the back of Uralla.
 
Quiet possibly BK……reckon we left Eastern crk Gp 92-95 and kept heading Nth for the following w/ends festivities! Uncle Ven n Di on the Alpino/Ants n Jude on the Mirage/ Me n Colette on the Jota/ Batto/Russ Strekfoss etc etc.
Remember it being a fair hike from town to campsite…… loaded the Mrs up with two slabs on her lap for the nights action. Bloody legend!
Happy Days alright👍
Catcha at Broadee for a froffee or two 🍻
 
Back
Top