3CL engine mount plates stainless

Are you referring to the triangular plates at the top front engine mounts? (they're the only engine mounting plates on a 3C that I'm aware of)

They're steel, not aluminium. If yours are aluminium, they're definitely not original. Some dickhead previous owner has made them. If they're cracking, that'll be why.

You can probably buy them from the usual parts suppliers, but it's a simple matter to make some steel ones. If you want stainless, you'll have to make them anyway because they're normally mild steel.
 
Are you referring to the triangular plates at the top front engine mounts? (they're the only engine mounting plates on a 3C that I'm aware of)

They're steel, not aluminium. If yours are aluminium, they're definitely not original. Some dickhead previous owner has made them. If they're cracking, that'll be why.

You can probably buy them from the usual parts suppliers, but it's a simple matter to make some steel ones. If you want stainless, you'll have to make them anyway because they're normally mild steel.
Mine have been holding up great for the last 20-odd years, Cam.

5mm 6065 Al plate, with a big hole in the middle. About 1/3 lighter than the originals with more bend resistance than mild steel.

dickhead piet ;)Westerwald 23.08.15 b.JPG
 
And on the 8th day, the Lord did look down upon his Earth and exclaim "Fuck me, I've only just finished and it's already overrun with dickheads". :) Alu, chugging along nicely since 2009.

52027342457_e63013701c_c.jpg
 
Last edited:
dickhead piet ;)
Well mate, sometimes even dickheads can be lucky 😲 :)

At least 5mm is a reasonable thickness, and it might as well have a hole in the middle since the middle of the triangular plate doesn't carry much stress. I guess it's no big deal if that little plate does fall apart anyway. The bike isn't going to break apart and kill you.

But I must admit I'm surprised. Aluminium work hardens pretty easily. I'd have expected such an application to crack from fatigue in a reasonably short time. You've only gotta look at the prevalence of cracks in aluminium fuel tanks. And aircraft designers are keenly aware of the limitations of aluminium. I've used aluminium for brackets and similar applications, and it's sometimes failed due to fatigue cracking from vibration. Maybe the 6000 series alloy is quite resistant to that sort of thing. Good job getting it to work. Did you use rubber bolts? ;)
 
If they're in a pos that is very rigid (to limit lateral movement/vibes) then I can see it working. I reckon the Argy only causes vibes in a vertical plane in that pos.

Would I use alu plates for the lower SF engine mounts? No.
 
I made my own triple front engine mounts, they lasted less than 10kilometres and broke up, maybe 18G was a bit thin, but like Haggis, if it comes off I want it lighter when it goes back
CLEM
 
Just in case anyone wants to follow the dickhead route. When I made mine, it wasn't a case of stabbing at a bit of any-old alu with a drill. I chose the material carefully, getting the right temper and making them very precisely, with each side made to fit absulute cock-on and with next to zero clearance around the bolts - thus taking out any slop which could lead to movement, wear, and cracking. LH will not fit RH. Over the top? Sure, but a satisfying little job for a mild OCD boy.
 
Last edited:
I made my own triple front engine mounts, they lasted less than 10kilometres and broke up, maybe 18G was a bit thin, but like Haggis, if it comes off I want it lighter when it goes back
CLEM
You remembered Clem! Yep, that's my mantra :)
 
On a bike that weighs 220kg+ dry I'm not sure trying to skimp on metal for something as small (and important) as an engine mount makes much sense. I went thicker on all the rear mounts on my SF frame (that had cracked or deformed over time).
 
On a bike that weighs 220kg+ dry I'm not sure trying to skimp on metal for something as small (and important) as an engine mount makes much sense. I went thicker on all the rear mounts on my SF frame (that had cracked or deformed over time).
1 beer less a week is about 50 engine plates weight loss.

Paul
 
Just in case anyone wants to follow the dickhead route. When I made mine, it wasn't a case of stabbing at a bit of any-old alu with a drill. I chose the material carefully, getting the right temper and making them very precisely, with each side made to fit absulute cock-on and with next to zero clearance around the bolts - thus taking out any slop which could lead to movement, wear, and cracking. LH will not fit RH. Over the top? Sure, but a satisfying little job for a mild OCD boy.
Way to go...

The bolts need to fit snugly, with all possible play eliminated.

Did the same with my old brit thumper, all engine plates are alloy, they actually hold the frame together! Went to the pains of making my own bolts and studs to get rid of the imperial threads, many of the old bores were rather shagged anyway. All reamed out cleanly with fasteners to suit. Done a good 16000km with them, no signs of fatigue yet.

This sort of precision also helps in reducing vibes.

piet
 
On a bike that weighs 220kg+ dry I'm not sure trying to skimp on metal for something as small (and important) as an engine mount makes much sense. I went thicker on all the rear mounts on my SF frame (that had cracked or deformed over time).
Agree Quentin,

Of course there's not much sense in doing it. But, I did it because I could. I guess you know the feeling too, set something in your mind and find out if it works. At the very least, it keeps us from commiting other mischief.

piet
 
it is worth it even if its 20 gramms,
remember what the old lady said when pissing in the Atlantic ocean "every little bit helps"
and also mental health is the driver for physical health.
CLEM
 
Back
Top