Burt Munro 2023

Thanks Greg et al, for the suggestions.
Back in the day I knew the likes of Shaun Harris and Paul Dobbs and have chatted a few times with Bruce Anstey. However, thinking about it John Shand is perhaps my best bet as I recently tracked down for a member of the team the CBR400RR on which Paul Williams and Milky Quayle won the Lightweight 400 TT.
 
Thanks Greg et al, for the suggestions.
Back in the day I knew the likes of Shaun Harris and Paul Dobbs and have chatted a few times with Bruce Anstey. However, thinking about it John Shand is perhaps my best bet as I recently tracked down for a member of the team the CBR400RR on which Paul Williams and Milky Quayle won the Lightweight 400 TT.
Paul was a mate of mine, never been the same without him, many a Friday and Saturday night spent with him in our youth, doing silly things on bikes. RIP Paul
 
Thanks Greg et al, for the suggestions.
Back in the day I knew the likes of Shaun Harris and Paul Dobbs and have chatted a few times with Bruce Anstey. However, thinking about it John Shand is perhaps my best bet as I recently tracked down for a member of the team the CBR400RR on which Paul Williams and Milky Quayle won the Lightweight 400 TT.
Shandy's based in Invercargill now I believe. Looks after the bikes at Richardson's museum. Haven't seen him to talk to for years. I'd seriously doubt if he has much contact with current racing.
Yes, I knew Paul Dobbs too. Always had a yarn with him when he was in Christchurch. Nice guy.

Once you've established when you're coming and what area you'll be in, I'd recommend asking on Kiwibiker Forum.
It's been done before and a frenchie got a ride at Wanganui out of it. A lot of guys are still active on there.
 
Leaving on the 4th, so only a few days away, packing has started. Now where's my tent, and will the stitching hold...?
Weather forecast is a bit rubbish, but getting better further south. Anything will be better than what we've had in Auckland these last few days!
I'm packing a raincoat and a sunhat :ROFLMAO:
If the rain really tips down I'll give Piet's brake pads an honest review on the brake pad thread ;)
My biggest concern at the moment is the ferry crossing. The tub we're booked on broke down (all four engines! How does that happen..?) and isn't back in service yet. It's not a very nice place to swim.
 
Coming across on the ferry after a WSB round at Manfield I watched a well known rider's marriage start crumbling. Wife - very nice girl too - tossed her lunch up. Well it was a rough crossing. His comment in front of us was - well that was a waste of $12.00. Much quiet cringing round the table....

Currently very dry down south but some rain forecast in the next few days. Not expected to be as bad as Auckland so you should be OK.
You're going to have to watch what roads are open Picton - ChCh. South of ChCh is pretty good, just some road works delays. Teretonga when it's not raining means a breeze. Windburn is the killer there so go prepared. Having said that I've been there in rain or snow more often than it's been fine.
 
Ahh windburn. Makes sense. That's priceless local knowledge, cheers for that.
We're heading down the 'coast this time, via Nelson, Reefton and Haast, so I was more worried about the Rai Valley but I see that appears to be open again.
If we were going down the east coast I would have offered to give you a hand shifting house. Not me necessarily, but big Dan. He's never worked in construction so his back is nearly new :ROFLMAO:
 
Leaving on the 4th, so only a few days away, packing has started. Now where's my tent, and will the stitching hold...?
Weather forecast is a bit rubbish, but getting better further south. Anything will be better than what we've had in Auckland these last few days!
I'm packing a raincoat and a sunhat :ROFLMAO:
If the rain really tips down I'll give Piet's brake pads an honest review on the brake pad thread ;)
My biggest concern at the moment is the ferry crossing. The tub we're booked on broke down (all four engines! How does that happen..?) and isn't back in service yet. It's not a very nice place to swim.
Have a good trip mate, I wasn't surprised with the Interislander breaking down, pretty common over the years, which was the one that lost its props or prop where they just fell off a few years back? I see Blue bridges new ferry just arrives, no doubt it will be some time before it gets up and going, I think the straight is just bloody hard on those ferries
 
Have a good trip mate, I wasn't surprised with the Interislander breaking down, pretty common over the years, which was the one that lost its props or prop where they just fell off a few years back? I see Blue bridges new ferry just arrives, no doubt it will be some time before it gets up and going, I think the straight is just bloody hard on those ferries
Aratere? Which is still in service, when it's not under urgent repair... Although Bluebridge has also had it's share of problems. Maybe you're right, the Cook Straight must be hard on the gear:

 
Ahh windburn. Makes sense. That's priceless local knowledge, cheers for that.
We're heading down the 'coast this time, via Nelson, Reefton and Haast, so I was more worried about the Rai Valley but I see that appears to be open again.
If we were going down the east coast I would have offered to give you a hand shifting house. Not me necessarily, but big Dan. He's never worked in construction so his back is nearly new :ROFLMAO:
Moving all done. Settlement achieved with 10 minutes to spare. Wife was already spending the penalty interest, lol.

Sideshow, are you coming for the sail GP at Lyttelton ?
 
Aratere? Which is still in service, when it's not under urgent repair... Although Bluebridge has also had it's share of problems. Maybe you're right, the Cook Straight must be hard on the gear:

Gets a bit like that between IOM and UK. More often than not when they predict a bit of rough weather now they cancel the crossing, such as tomorrow evening, to avoid the insurance claims.
 
Gets a bit like that between IOM and UK. More often than not when they predict a bit of rough weather now they cancel the crossing, such as tomorrow evening, to avoid the insurance claims.
Yes they also cancel sailings here, letting it sail in the conditions in the video must have been a mistake, surely.
I’ve never experienced a super rough crossing luckily!
 
Yes they also cancel sailings here, letting it sail in the conditions in the video must have been a mistake, surely.
I’ve never experienced a super rough crossing luckily!
I've had more than one where now they wouldn't sail. Pre 2000 or so they relied on the master's judgement. Pretty sure the criteria are now set in stone.

Well remember crossings where everyone was on the floor backed up against the bulkheads. And the occasional distant noise of a car breaking loose.....

Best way to travel across was the old interislander Lyttelton - Wellington overnight. Very comfortable. Two guys I knew used to race at Ruapuna saturday then catch the interislander to Wgtn. Ride the racebikes to Levin - north of wellington - and race Sunday. Home Sunday night for work on Monday.
 
Sideshow, are you coming for the sail GP at Lyttelton ?
I wish! One of the girls who was an apprentice of mine is now a rigger for their circuit, she will be there, If you get there and see a cute blonde Finish girl called Matilda , kicking about, go say hi. I'm super proud of her, she is an excellent rigger... all her doing, none of mine, and she is the spare women's crew for racing, in case one of the racing girls has an accident, she fills in.
 
I've had more than one where now they wouldn't sail. Pre 2000 or so they relied on the master's judgement. Pretty sure the criteria are now set in stone.

Well remember crossings where everyone was on the floor backed up against the bulkheads. And the occasional distant noise of a car breaking loose.....

Best way to travel across was the old interislander Lyttelton - Wellington overnight. Very comfortable. Two guys I knew used to race at Ruapuna saturday then catch the interislander to Wgtn. Ride the racebikes to Levin - north of wellington - and race Sunday. Home Sunday night for work on Monday.
I think an incident with the vomit comet that ended up on the IOM Steam Racket route resulted in some changes in regards to predicted wave heights that ferries were allowed to set sail in, but the ship’s Master still has the last say on whether the boat goes or not.
 
Fuuuurk bloody rained all through the Waikato. Plus hot and humid, yurk. Finally fined up at Taupo so we stopped for a meal:
28A7E7DD-5DAE-4950-8D4B-2FC04FF0D32E.jpeg
Now our ferry booking has changed due to one we’re booked on breaking down, so instead of a gentlemanly 8:45am tomorrow, they’ve put Dan on the 2am, and no word about my booking… oh well, ill trundle down there at midnight as well and see if I can blag my way aboard 😉
If it doesn’t work, then sleeping in the waiting room will make for a good story 🤣
 
Last edited:
Back
Top