music in the shed

Highest slung guitars were George and Harry from The Easybeats, Bandstand clips a notable. Maybe not of great interest to some, past era is entertaining all the same, j.

Gerry Marsden deserves a mention as well Jon .......... Here`s a pic of him peeking over the top of his guitar .......

... Prize for highest worn trouser waistband goes famously to Simon Cowell ........

2024-04-04.png

2024-04-04 (1).png

Last edited:

This lot had a BBC television series back in the ` seventies , and I couldn`t stand them ......... They dressed like communists , one of them was a giant bloke called Tony who played a stupid little tin whistle , they would have Cliff do a calypso style Caribbean number on his own half way through the show , their songs were dated old Northern dross .......... I absolutely hated them ..........

Although after seeing this clip , maybe they were`nt quite so bad after all ... maybe I`m getting old .........

American rhythm and blues / soul outfit The Spinners were re named The Detroit Spinners in the UK , just in case anyone might get them mixed up ...........

.... posted a version of this ages ago when they recorded a session for Dutch TV ........ Here they are back home in California , although Hope Sandoval seems just as uncomfortable about things here as she did back then ..... Still , fits in with the sentiments expressed in the song , I guess ........

Pet Shop Boys Neil Tennant on violin , and ex Labour Party MP Claire Short on rhythm guitar ....... ( Not really , only joking ...... ) ......

Last edited:

..... meanwhile Ms Hardy parks the CB750 and takes a stroll around Pareeee ....... although it`s Lea Seydoux actually doing the walking .........

.... also a cameo appearance by a Yamaha TDM 850 .......... First use of a stacked gearbox I believe ..... ( layshaft and output shaft one above the other , and shoved up high behind the cylinder block ) ........ which equals a short engine which allows a long swing arm within a short wheelbase which gives nimble handling combined with better controlled drive and traction .......... Although credit for this idea usually goes to Kunihiko Miwa and his R1 some ten years later ......... but I believe Fabio Taglioni used the idea on his bevel drive twins , ( except for the shoving up high bit ) , in his effort to keep that engine as short as he could , and therefore reduce that machines wheelbase as much as possible as well ..............

Anyone know enough about Ducatis to confirm that ? ........

Last edited:

...... and Diana Darvey takes a stroll around Benny ......... Despite what Benny says , Diana Darvey was born in Cheshire , but was raised and educated in Bristol ........ although she did spend time working in musical shows in Spain ......... In later years she ran a pub in Oxfordshire ........ Then returned to Spain , and fell down some stairs and died in 2000 .......

Last edited:
......... but I believe Fabio Taglioni used the idea on his bevel drive twins , ( except for the shoving up high bit ) , in his effort to keep that engine as short as he could , and therefore reduce that machines wheelbase as much as possible as well ..............

Anyone know enough about Ducatis to confirm that ? ........
TDM became TRX. As for short wheelbase ... on a bevel???!!! I think not.

TDM became TRX. As for short wheelbase ... on a bevel???!!! I think not.
I think Taglioni knew his V ( or L , as he seemed to call it ) twin was going to end up with a long wheelbase in any case by the very nature of the engine layout and accepted frame design at the time ...... So I believe he compacted , or stacked , the gearshaft layout in order to try to minimise that ....... Still ended up with a wheelbase 5 inches longer than a Norton Commando , MV 750S , or Kawasaki 750 Mach 4 , though ........ Although that may depend on how worn the rear chain is ... ( except for the MV shafty obviously ) ....

I would think his attempts to keep machine dimensions under control were thwarted by contemporary frame design , which called for a longish wheelbase and steering head angle to maintain stability at high speed ......... The V twin layout , stacked gearshafts or not , wouldn`t have helped in that respect ....... I`ve never ridden a bevel , but I believe they turn like a truck ....... They were a combination of Italian designed engine , and English ( Colin Seeley ) designed frame , so not exactly an integrated concept from the start .....

Later Ducati V twins had the swing arm pivoting directly on the crankcase , not the frame ( such as it was ) , which helped reduce the wheelbase compared to the earlier bikes .......

Last edited:
I`ve never ridden a bevel , but I believe they turn like a truck ....... They were a combination of Italian designed engine , and English ( Colin Seeley ) designed frame , so not exactly an integrated concept from the start .....

Later Ducati V twins had the swing arm pivoting directly on the crankcase , not the frame ( such as it was ) , which helped reduce the wheelbase compared to the earlier bikes .......
A good bevel is (was at the time) really good to ride, just couldn't be chucked around like the Oriental bikes of the time, as were Laverda also.
The crankcase mounting would have allowed a longer swing-arm with further forward pivot, not a shorter wheelbase.

.... Whereas The Fall don`t want to race , they just want to cruise ....... The three R`s ... Repetition , Repetition , Repetition ........

... " shirt tails flapping in the breeze , crisp packets blowing down the road .... " ....

Bo Diddley was also on this show , and he said The Fall were the only English band that had any understanding of the blues ......

Last edited:
Back