New member says hello

M

melltan

Hello fellow Laverda enthusiasts :D

Allow me to introduce myself, I do not currently own a Laverda, although I would like to rectify that in future, I used to own several in the 1980's, in fact I started my racing career on a Jota in 1980, I have owned 2 Jotas, an SF 750, an RGS, and a Montjuic which I borrowed, blew up and eventually had to buy!

I currently ride an '09 Aprilia Dorsoduro, and a CCM R30 which I do track days on, (I love supermoto) I also own a 1963 Triumph T90 which I have had since 1976.

I live on the Isle of Anglesey North Wales, and you will often see me doing track days at my local race circuit, if you haven't been around the Anglesey circuit, put it in your diaries as a must do! I recommend the coastal circuit (the one with the "cork screw").

I also fly autogyros or "gyrocopters" basically a motorcycle in the sky! I documented the construction of the Anglesey circuit with aerial photographs taken from one of these wonderful flying machines.

Anyway that's me!

Welcome Kev

Sure youre not the recently helicopter rescue qualified heir to the throne William Wales :D 

Lemon

hey i beat Timbo!

lemonjelly said:
Welcome Kev

Sure youre not the recently helicopter rescue qualified heir to the throne William Wales :D 

Lemon

hey i beat Timbo!

yeh, but you didn't tell him to f orf so your not doing it properly!

howzit kev :D :D :D, take no notice of us and welcome to laverdamaniacs. enjoy the cut and thrust of the most entertaining, exciting and ludicrous biker gang on the planet. strangely enough, you can also find out looooooooads about laverdas here, but you're not allowed to go off topic ??? ??? - if you can find one! ::) ::)

that makes two of us who beat tim.

Hi Kev and wellcome it is an old tradition here that new members donate ?50 to the Rufustbear fund for Teddy bears, pay pall will do  :D :D :D  if you think that's a bit cheeky wait till Tim wellcomes you  :evil:

Hi Kev,

Autogyros seem fascinating (from an armchair pov). Seems so intrinsically efficient.

would it be at all feasible to combine your loves? laverdaGyro. Potentially even cooler than that well known Trumpet chopper chopper;

chopper1.jpg

chopper4.jpg

chopper5.jpg

a Meridan trumpet motor in an aircraft - wow, that's playing with your health insurance!

And the people looked up to the sky, "is it raining oil, rockerbox caps and cycle thread nuts?"

No it's just that flying Triumph again........

Keith.

Thanks for the welcome guys, if I see Willy Wales and his big chopper I'm getting out of the way, I've only got a small one! :shocked:

It must have been a very brave pilot that flew that Triumph powered helicopter, it looks very scary!

But just imagine it was a Montjuic engine now that really would be dicing with death  :D

Kev

Imagine trying to re-kickstart it at 20,000 feet!  :shocked:

Hello Kevin, that was my (ex) Monty, which I raced in '80 and '81.
I remember well your '83 MGP race where the monty blew up, not surpriseing realy since I dont think the cases had been opened until then.
any idea where  Monty #2351  is now? or anyone else for that matter
CLEM

Hi Clem

I didn't know that used to belong to you, I borrowed it from a chap in Caernarfon just to do my I.O.M. debut on it, I changed the yokes from Ceriani to Marzochi which made a hell of a difference.
That year I was racing an RGS with some help from Phil Todd in the Marlborough Clubmans series with mixed fortunes, it blew a piston at Oulton just before the West Raynham 4hr race, so I decided to race the Monty instead, my partner was Steve Elliott, as I recall we were doing pretty well when Steve dropped it with just 10 minutes to go ...doh!

Anyway practice week was a disaster, a dropped valve among lots of other things, I only just managed the very minimum of practice laps (6).
The race was going really well, I was in fourth position, I got a lap of 98.6 mph, but exiting Parliament Square, Ramsey on the last lap one conrod snapped just below the gudgeon pin and destroyed the whole engine. I eventually bought the bike then sold it to a friend Huw Huws, and he sold it on again, I could find out who to but it was a long time ago, I'll dig out some photos of it in action at the Manx and post them here sometime.

I think I've got that bike to thank for most of my hearing loss :D

Kev

I'll let you in on a theory I had about Monty engines, when they were built they put a hand grenade in the cases with a variable length fuse, you never knew when it was going to go, but blow it would! :D

Kev,
Welcome,looking forward to photos,have heard of the corkscrew-must be interesting on a fast triple!Are youlooking to get another lav- rufasbear has somthing that might be up your street..............
cheers will
Hold on-I've beaten tim this time.....ah it's raining so he must be in the cab{wet weather use only}cave in deepest cheshire!

Welcome to the forum Kev.   :welcome:

My first 'big' bike was a '65 T90, Dunstall reverse cone megas, clip ons, rear sets, alloy tank and lots of attitude.  I also loved a CCM R30, mine was the Suzuki engined one, and I manged to tune it to a reliable 50.3 RWBHP.

Peter.  :hello:

Attachments

• CCM Dyno.doc
    171 KB · Views: 4
I'm up in the attic tomorrow trying to find my Laverda pics! :cheesy:

My T90 is now a T100 engine spec, and it still gets a thrashing now and then!

My CCM is also a Suzuki engined one, its more reliable than the Rotax ones, it became my track bike when I ran it into a flock of sheep loose in the road around a fast corner on my way to work last year, at least that's what they tell me happened, I was out cold in hospital for two days! I bought it back off the insurance and its now my track bike, I love it! it can really embarrass the big sportsbikes especially with a pair of slicks on  :D

Spare me all the sheep jokes I've heard them all already!

Kev

P.S. is that dyno readout with the standard exhaust can?

The exhaust can is a Quill T3, pilot jets are 27.5, Main jets are 150, bottom clip on the needle, catalytic converter drilled out, airbox lid removed, TPS reset, Goldspeed Maxxis Street Silver tyres and vacumn damping device removed.

Peter.

Kev Hughes said:
I'm up in the attic tomorrow trying to find my Laverda pics! :cheesy:

My T90 is now a T100 engine spec, and it still gets a thrashing now and then!

My CCM is also a Suzuki engined one, its more reliable than the Rotax ones, it became my track bike when I ran it into a flock of sheep loose in the road around a fast corner on my way to work last year, at least that's what they tell me happened, I was out cold in hospital for two days! I bought it back off the insurance and its now my track bike, I love it! it can really embarrass the big sportsbikes especially with a pair of slicks on  :D

Spare me all the sheep jokes I've heard them all already!

Kev

P.S. is that dyno readout with the standard exhaust can?

Thanks for the info Peter, I'm having carburation problems at the moment, I'm going to try a less restrictive can, I've also removed the vacuum damping device and checked the TPS, and modded the jets but can't remember the size offhand. I'll have to get it on the dyno, the guy who purchased Motodd's dyno in the eighties lives up here in Anglesey and still runs a tuning shop.

Kev

Welcome Kev. Totally agree with your comments on Anglesey Circuit, it's a belter with a fantastic variety of corners and gradient. I did a track day on my Speed Triple there a couple of years ago...gotta love that corkscrew section, but the banked right hander (turn 2) is just awesome! Fully intend to go back some day, but will have to wait until I get a more suitable bike than the GTL.

Back