QLD Historic championships

markQLD

the QEMS mob run a good meeting for the aged...
QLD-historics-2023.jpg

Monty is entered and is go!
Monty-0918.jpg
and the Formula has muscled in too for the track day tomorrow, Tuesday

yep.. I am just the pit bitch.. again.. while Ian has the fun.. things ya do for ya mates ay..

Last edited:
Keep an eye out for Chris Cutler, he is arriving by helicopter, escaped hospital. But has to take his nurse with him. His daughter Sophie is also coming along for the ride.

Keep an eye out for Chris Cutler, he is arriving by helicopter, escaped hospital. But has to take his nurse with him. His daughter Sophie is also coming along for the ride.
Chris and Sophie dropped by to check out the 2 little Lavs.. good to see him but not in a good way unfortunately.. we wished him all the best, he's been through some difficult times.

Yep, great to speak with Chris and Sophie and pleased Chris can still get out and enjoy his passion.
Watching their chopper land down on the other track circuit did attract lots of attention in the paddock.

Ian had an eventful meeting (to say the least). And fought for (what he thought was) his bit of track at times. :cool:
QHC-2023-01.jpg
QHC-2023-02.jpg
QHC-2023-03.jpg

.. and I got to enjoy my passion and walked up and down and all over the paddock, again, & again, & again ...

Thanks mate for dragging me out there (y)

.. Some bloody nice bikes in the link pics. ...
Those two hand-shift Indians #380 and #58 had a good dice in Period 2 Race 24 on Thursday morning.
Proper Moto3 vicious. 😲
I had a good laugh and after 5 laps they took the chequered flag just 0.055 seconds apart.

So Pat.. Dweezil just happened to be in Brisbane and I just happened to have some tickets.. and he played whatever the f**k he wanted.. but that is another story.. ;)
The other story, (thanks Mark) is our visit to Morgan Park this week.. I say thanks Mark, because he is the one that 'suggested' that I sort the Formula as well for the trip to Warwick.. I was more focused on giving the Montjuic a run as he has been off the track for 12 months for a total nuts and bolts rebuild including some new parts and a thorough clean after a dodgy previous year of band aid racing.. good fresh start, that is what was required..
What could possibly go wrong..:p
Well, it all did.. and after 3 short laps in the morning of practice (test for us) day, it was obvious more surgery was needed.. not unusual with a new build but still a bugger..:confused:

But then.. here was the 'one I'd prepared earlier' and we rolled the Formula out. This bike has been an absolute delight to ride this year on the little track out at Carnell Park, but came alive at the larger, wider Morgan Park.. lots of grunt, handled the shortened layout with its tight corners over the back brilliantly.., there was a couple of late braking issues in places, but overall a very good couple of days racing.. very pleased with this lovely bike and honoured to be riding a Formula 500..
A great weekend, QEMSC run a very good program and as always, a top bunch of blokes in the paddock sharing the fun of Classic Racing..
Thanks to Mark for coming along and helping a bloke.. couldn't do it without ya maate.. well, I could.. but it wouldn't be the same..:p

Oh, and Andy.. so Piero and Giovanni were here in Australia that time in 2017 when we did the Italian Festival of Speed in Sydney..? You may recall because a lot of you supported and contributed towards Laverda Corse to come down under to visit us..? Well, on the last night of the weekend over a celebratory glass of wine, Piero mentioned to me that they had a 'spare' Formula for sale.. not an opportunity to be missed, so here it is.. it is an original series 2 bike, delivery crate included pictures and records of its history back in the day, and so the bike is now racing once again, and in Oz to boot..
What could possibly go wrong..:p:p
Thanks all for your interest.. we'll catch up next time..

:cool:

....come on, what happened to Monty?
I shall reveal all when I know all Lee.. it just stopped suddenly, rear wheel locked coming onto the straight.. nearly tipped me off actually..
I thought it was an electrical fail but a quick check revealed the crank is jammed somehow..
Ah well, back to the tools..

:cool:

Good luck with the jammed crank. Hope it's something cheap.

Was there a "big" Honda CB350 four running in the equivalent of pre 72 ? Recent arrival from NZ.
It's one I built several years back and i'm told it's doing quite well. 465cc so runs in 500 class.

Good luck with the jammed crank. Hope it's something cheap.

Was there a "big" Honda CB350 four running in the equivalent of pre 72 ? Recent arrival from NZ.
It's one I built several years back and i'm told it's doing quite well. 465cc so runs in 500 class.
No idea Greg.. a few Hondas running around.. need name/number to know who's who in the Zoo mate.. ;)

.. Was there a "big" Honda CB350 four running in the equivalent of pre 72 ? ...
Attached the program for you Greg.
There was a #108 bloke listed as racing two bikes.
CB350 four in Period 4 Junior (page 13) and CB500 four in Period 4 Senior (page 11).
So I am just guessing if that's him? that maybe,, just how "big" the CB350 is,, is on a 'need to know' basis? 🤫

(photos are nicked off Alan McIntosh sports photography)

Attachments

• 2023-QHRRC-Programme.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 12
  • 380342465_806389671492359_4915025916473681323_n.jpg
    380342465_806389671492359_4915025916473681323_n.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 380716031_806379594826700_517253335317332280_n.jpg
    380716031_806379594826700_517253335317332280_n.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 30
Ok Greg, you now have got my curiosity working 🤔

#108 qualified faster on the CB350 than the CB500,
CB350 best lap in Race 30 was a 1.21.090 for an outright 3rd position.
CB500 best lap in Race 28 was a 1.22.194

So, I like your work Greg and as they say, 'that's racing'... 👏

Last edited:
It's the pic on the left the bike without a head fairing. Running a blue plate when it should be yellow.
Can't remember the name of the current owner but he's the second. Built it for my Z nutter who went quite well on it.
He handed me a CB350/4 he'd bought that someone had put a GB500 seat on and what i think are GB500 rims too.
Finished those jobs off properly and built the engine up. 350 bottom end and cases. 400 topend bored for aftermarket pistons.
Web cam&springs. Z650 carbs remounted closer together. Oil pump rotors are 15mm longer for the much needed increase in oil circulation.
Pipes are a hydroforming exercise - 4 meggas, curved and tapering. Came out quite well. Z650 front disc with a Z1 caliper.
Finished up a very pretty little bike which happened to be quite quick too.

The guy who's got it now approached me about building the motor for his CB500 but buggered off to Oz before anything could be done.

As far as which class goes, ha, what's the overbore limit for period 4 ? We had the same problem here in reverse. A steward kept telling the first owner to run a blue plate when it was in the programme as 465cc. Sidecover badges are still CB350. Whadda you do ?

Back