Robin is coming

He sailed to the isle where Marilyn, Elvis, Jim and others are supposed to live.  8)

(@Piranha, I checked the link and it works for me)
 
buccaneer-sailplan-jpg.98294

Really sad state of a Cavalier here:

Our's was a Ketch with a Diesel inboard. Sorry to say I lost all Pics of her (Before the days of Digital ). My sister may have Polaroid Pics of her.

The expense of the Fir, Sumatra Plywood, fiberglass, Dacron Sails and Glue was somewhat over whelming plus the labor and time to build 3 hulls. Due to her width a Marina will charge for 2 stalls but for Dry Dock you can park her anywhere because of her shallow draft.

She was a FAST BOAT. Took 10 years to build her and most my youth - It would have been easier to build a Columbia 45 or a 50 ft Invicta.

What happened to the Wind-I-Go is even sadder; thanks to my Wife's 2 sons after I married her - Apparently the Wind-I-Go burnt over a fraudulent Insurance scam ;o(
 
Hey! I'm a Northern Canadian Leprechaun whom build an Austrian Trimaran and sailed her on lake Huron - Seems to me you Aussies have to pipe up. Considering I would have given everything to sail her under the Southern Cross ;o)

To say the least, after looking at the entry's, I have to say Australia stands a good chance of winning the Americas Cup this year.

My Dad taught me how to use Sextant by the time I was 10 years old. Don't mean nothing today with GPS. My Dad relied on Almanac Logarithms where I used a Slide Rule and we both got within a quarter square mile of our position with a High Noon shot. Really, tune into GMT Time and use the Sextant. We were not using a Naval Horizon Sextant but a Bubble Aircraft Sextant. My Dad was a RCAF Warrant Officer in WWII, I was born in 48.

Just amazing sail boat designs today - I'm getting too old but I will never forget how to sail ;o)
 
You've got so many bloody strings to your bow, Ron! Even if you are in your 70s. It always amazes me how much you've packed in there - AND still got to know every nut and bolt of a Breganzie SF0!! Good stuff.
 
Laverda SF said:
I have to say Australia stands a good chance of winning the Americas Cup this year.

That'll be a neat trick seeing as Australia hasn't entered.  New Zealand is defending, and I'm pretty sure it's just Italy, UK and USA challenging.

You may be thinking of the Youth America's Cup. Basically a bunch of 18-24 year old millennials sailing flash-looking dinghies. There's a couple of Aussie teams in that, but it has nothing to do with the real America's Cup. They've just purloined the name 'America's Cup' to garner a bit of publicity.
 
Dellortoman said:
snip.....

but it has nothing to do with the real America's Cup. They've just purloined the name 'America's Cup' to garner a bit of publicity.

I have to tell you the true, I think with this new formula the America's Cup has found its root again.It has nothing to do with the catamarans (repelling...) but it hugs the modern age (hi-tech design, speed and technology) with the vintage scent of very lavish guys compete each other for a whim that cost them a lot...
 
Wowa! Robin is a Kiwi Boat and not a Rou ! Thanks for the Info  - To me your both Down Under.

Australia did take the America's Cup awhile back - Can't remember when.

Time to reclaim the Down Under Title !

Still would like and answer or some hypothesis as to what happened to Hedely Nicol other his boat designs were not good enough to smuggle Cocaine ?
 
Gotta say the fastest under sail, I've been, was in a 21ft Cat Sloop built like shit - Yet Strong - No Hydrofoils - Under Gale Winds ;o)

Man she was Fast in a Chop !

She was not my Boat - Just 2 sailors getting together on Lake Huron.

We're going to hit that Licking Island if we don't do something  ;o)

21ft Cat Sloop, the Fastest I've ever sailed.
 
Sydney to Hobart cancelled due to Wuflu, sorry China virus, sorry, Pangolin flu....
Whatever.... :(

First time cancelled in 75 years.

Shame it was set to be a great race, without Wild Oats and Comanche the lead would would have been opened up to a whole new bunch of boats.

Turns out the number of crew, spread right across the fleet, that reside in the northern Beaches area of Sydney is astounding.
We were just talking about this very subject while standing in the queue to get tested on Thursday.

Anyway just another casualty to the.... sorry what was it called again.

 
CANCELLED - What ;o(

I grew up sailing East Coast Newfie Snipes - A boat approx 16ft long built of Cedar and one million 3/4" brass screws, canvass covered. Parachute Linen Slope or CAT Rigged with a heavy iron dagger retractable centerboard. The mast was Spruce.

Rather slow compared to to-days crafts but what a thrill to race another Snipe on a windy lake.

I liked a Big Jib and my Mother sowed them from Parachutes from a War Surplus Outlet.

Like I was only 10 in the late 50's and Captain of my boat.

Of course I flipped her few times - Even hit a few Docks - I love sailing - Give ME a Columbia Invecta 50  ;o)

This is Columbia Invecta 40' and reasonable affordable to sail the World with:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1971/columbia-39-3639916/

Early 70 Fiberglass Boat Hulls where the Best and still are.

Christopher Cross -Sailing:


 
Syd to Hobart cancelled because Tasmania have imposed a 14 quarantine on anyone leaving greater Sydney, mean everyone in the race would have to!
Of course they could just pick a GPS co ordinate half way to Tassie and race there and back to Sydney.
Sure that would be an interesting event ;)
 
Back
Top