Rough Montjuic

neandethal

Junior member
Location
oakham
Hi, we all here the market is suppressed.
Ive been offered a Mk1 Montjuic, confirmed by Rihard Slater as genuine, for £8000. Its a bit rough round the edges, cracked sidepanel, rusty headland brackets, fork leg and instrument bases non genuine bars but overall good and starts and runs sweetly.
Is this price about right? Thanks for any opinions shared.
 
Personally I think the value is in the authenticity, engine running well and completeness. Those bases seem to be covered in your case apart from the handlebars which i doubt are difficult to find/replicate. The price feels about right in my opinion having watched them over the last ~5yrs. I bought mine for a bit less last year but it had a couple of mechanical issues.
 
Last edited:
Values do seem down and I don't want to speculate on why and trajectory but prior to the one I bought i enquired about I think an ex Spain race Montjuic being sold by a dealer in Newcastle. I think that was £10ish. In contrast a not recently used track one went on Car and Classic for ~£3.6 a few weeks ago if i recall but I thought that was ridiculously cheap. Values are all over the place in reality

 
Runs "sweetly"?
You mean it ticks over at idle?
Or revs up sweetly?
Please describe the sweetly a little bit more.
 
From previous old threads there used to be someone remaking fairings and another chap restoring switchgear, are either still going or can members guide me to a solution.
Not after a show pony but "tidier" would be good.
Cheers Ian
 
Rolling up to Slaters rural hideaway on the Mirage many moons ago , I wandered into the showroom and spotted a Mk 1 Monty ..... ( with headlight fairing still in place , which was nice ......... ) .............

I believe some people junk them because it induces an alleged high speed wobble or something like that ..... personally I`d keep it in place as I feel it defines the very essence of the model , in the same way that four into one exhaust defines the Honda CB400F SuperSport ....... anyone who wilfully removes that for no good reason has no sense of good taste or style , and misses the whole point of owning the 400/4 by a country mile or two ..... In my opinion ........... :whistle: ............

Anyway ......... Richard saw me looking at the Monty , and says ........ " No No , Tony ....... You don`t want one of those ......... " ..........

Always liked the Mk 1 ...... ( with the fairing in place obvs ....... sod any so-say wobbles ) ..... and always fancied one , despite what Richard said .........


Looking back , he was probably right .... The seven-league boots of the Mirage probably suited me much more than the running shoes of the Monty .......



PS ........ Arriving at Cropredy on the Mirage one day and walking across the courtyard , Gareth comes out of the portacabin and says " Hi....... I thought it was a Monty ..... " .........

I knew the Mirage was loud , but not THAT loud .........
 
Last edited:
Its pretty decent, and have tried haggling, its £8k or goes to mainland Europe!
Is that the one in Ireland that was on Facebook a couple of days ago ? Post was removed by yesterday evening.
When 1st listed they had no idea of it's worth & someone suggested a figure of 6 to 8 grand.
It needs work that's for sure, but speedo only had under 7000 miles on it.
Gotta be worth 6 grand just for the low mileage cam chain !
 
Yes that one. I can still access the post via links i sent to me mates, not sure they have taken down.
Seller very helpful, Richard Slater confirms genuine. They say they have several Europe bids but don't want hassle of shipping etc.
Price is supply/demand and ultimately what im prepared to pay. Low miles if genuine, current owner 35 years.
 
Back
Top