Sf1 36mm PHF carb tuning

You may have lost a chance to get a few rides in before winter but at least it will be ready for spring at worse case. Here in Winnipeg ....1300 km east of you we went from hot summer to cool fall in 2 days.  Hopefully it warms up again to make riding  enjoyable and you get a ride or two on it before its -30c.
 
Canuck750 said:
My wife thinks I am nuts to drive 2000Km for a guy to look at a bike ...

I'm guessing she didn't go with you then. Someone has to stay home and feed the cat  :D

I quite enjoy a long road trip. I drove twice that distance to pick up an engine from Red.

Did you need any special permit to travel across the provincial border between Alberta and BC? I assumed there would have been some kind of quarantine requirement like we have with interstate travel in Australia.
 
Canuck750 said:
I had he top end done locally and then put it together, I did have the cam chain out one tooth after having sunning issues diagnosed on this site. The bike ran terrible back then but it actually runs not too bad now other than the idle issue.

Soooo ... apart from me not being sure what 'sunning issues' were (typo, I assume?), did this idle issue suddenly appear? How long ago did you assemble the top end? Had it been running fine after you got the top end done and the motor back in the bike? Kind of need a bit of history ... not that it matters now, as Wolfgang has it!
 
Dellortoman said:
Did you need any special permit to travel across the provincial border between Alberta and BC? I assumed there would have been some kind of quarantine requirement like we have with interstate travel in Australia.

No permits or quarantine required to cross between the Canadian western provinces but on the east coast the maritime provinces are requiring anyone entering from the rest of Canada quarantine for 14 days. Friends of ours went to Nova Scotia to visit family were required to quarantine and they were checked up on every day by Provincial health authorities. They were refused entry into a couple hotels because they were from out west.
 
Piranha Brother 2 said:
Soooo ... apart from me not being sure what 'sunning issues' were (typo, I assume?), did this idle issue suddenly appear? How long ago did you assemble the top end? Had it been running fine after you got the top end done and the motor back in the bike? Kind of need a bit of history ... not that it matters now, as Wolfgang has it!

The idle issue had been there all along, it idled poorly with the old original Dellorto's and also with the new carb bodies and slides. The bike made decent power on the road but the plugs were a bit sooty. After changing the slides with new #50's and going to 145 main jets the idle problem persisted.
I am betting its a simple fix and Wolfgang will quickly diagnose it and point to something I foolishly missed or improperly installed.

Such is life, I should have taken the whole bike to Wolfgang two years ago instead of just shipping the bottom end of the motor to him. I have no hesitation to jump into any engine and try and resolve things, often to require professional intervention ::)
 
I left the Laverda SF1 with Wolfgang Haerter a couple weeks ago and he was able to find a cracked intake manifold that he believes is the root cause of the issues. I had sprayed carb cleaner around the manifolds while the engine was idling but noticed nothing. He also found the throttle cables were too short for the slightly raised handle bars and he replaced the choke cables as well. Timing was a we bit out. In the mean time I had to travel to the USA and now back I have a two week quarantine before I can go fetch the bike and I think Wolfgang has gone to Europe to visit family for a couple weeks. I am looking forward to getting a couple rides on the SF1 before winter sets in here. Wolfgang and Chris were going to go over the whole bike so I am looking forward to hearing what they found.
 
He is away until Oct 30 on business in Europe  according to an email I received from him a few days ago. But still available via email. Maybe you can retrieve the bike from Chris and get in a ride if the weather cooperates.
 
Back
Top