Stolen bike

Great news. It's a good thing that most thieves are stupid.

I have a theory that anyone who's too moronic to make an honest living is way to stupid to make a dishonest one. You need to be smarter than average to be a successful thief.
 
Great news and a huge relief for everyone involved. I hope they delete it off the stolen bike register. I know of one guy who go his back and two weeks later was bailed up by two excited cops who took a bit of convincing. After I got my SF back a guy rang the number on the stolen/wanted info, having seen "right now!" filling fuel in a servo.
 
Dealing with the cops is over, now have to deal with the insurance company, the real theives....
Great news. Will follow insurance exploits with interest, as like many I use the same mob for many of my vehicles. Not all though, took my semi-classic cars elsewhere and got a much better deal and experience. Shannon's have become too big, too mainstream, just an arm of Suncorp now.
 
Great news. Will follow insurance exploits with interest, as like many I use the same mob for many of my vehicles. Not all though, took my semi-classic cars elsewhere and got a much better deal and experience. Shannon's have become too big, too mainstream, just an arm of Suncorp now.
Have been wondering where they are headed, considering other insurers.
 
As none of my bikes are insured I don't have to worry about dodgy insurance companies. I just don't like them.
My house isn't insured either. They want a ridiculous sum of money because I live in the middle of a forest with high bush fire risk.
Fuck em! I believe in taking responsibility for my own well being.
Only insurance I have is my car.
 
Jota fired up and sounds ok, so just the cosmetic damage. I rang NRMA yesterday to see if their policy differed, accident vs stolen for keeping the wreck, the guy on the phone didn't know. Seems a grey area. Wait to see what the Shannon's manager has to say this week.
 
NRMA Vertran and Vintage are separate from the general NRMA Insurance bunch. They know the ins and outs.
 
I don't want to dump on Shannons all that much, I've had several car claims and all went through smoothly other than being increasingly difficult to communicate with them since all claims are sent offshore (versus sales where you go straight through to a local). I've had two cars written off, one a no-fault collision (rear ended) which was paid out agreed value within like two days, the other a hailstorm which took a week or more to get assessed since thousands of cars were affected, but was then again paid out within days. Three minor at-fault claims too, two kangaroos and nailing the front bumper on an unexpectedly harsh gradient at an intersection. No grief with any of them, again other than the difficult communication if you need anything clarified.

If you're having trouble, just keep escalating it until you get it seen to by a more senior local agent. My only issues were dealt with easily once I was speaking to someone who wasn't just answering in half-english gibberish reading from stock answers.

For the bikes I never used to be insured either, but it's a pretty good deal these days. Now that both we and the bikes are so old the premium is quite trivial vs sum insured, and you're covered if you crash into a Lambo or just have one of those off-piste whoopsie-diasies like Quentin. Funny enough, theft never really even occurred to me, especially given if you frequent this forum all you read is the few broken-record moaners saying how nobody cares about old bikes anymore. :)
 
I was self insured as well, until I wrote off a Nissan pulsar with my right leg......
Shannon's is $119 a month for 8 vehicles including roadside assistance, that's about the same as a case of beer. Just don't let anything get stolen.
 
NRMA Classic and Venton is Appox $200 a year, or a bit less on Historic Rego, insured for $15k, and I got it for the one in a blue moon you might crash. So that's for my address, Historic Rego specific, and my reasonably clean driving record and in a locked shed behind a gate, and maybe a hard-to-ride driveway; almost as bad as Steve Bs deep pebble monstrosity, so you qualify, Steve. I made the last bit up. A bloody paint job these days is 2k, a muffler probably more than a grand, same with a helmet, not to mention every car around my place is 100k or more. BTW, that $200 premium has close to doubled in the last 5 years but now includes coverage for 2k worth of riding gear. And surprise, surprise, the person you talk to on the phone has heard of Laverdas or, if not, wants to hear about yours. You have to ask specifically for them, there not the every day Insurance pople.
 
I have my race bikes insured through Shannon's for Theft and fire damage in transit

Have another 5 vehicles insured with them as well, paying a lot more then you Marty but can probably thank Maxene's Maserati for that
 
Jota fired up and sounds ok, so just the cosmetic damage. I rang NRMA yesterday to see if their policy differed, accident vs stolen for keeping the wreck, the guy on the phone didn't know. Seems a grey area. Wait to see what the Shannon's manager has to say this week.
Glad your bike didn't get wasted. Too rare. If it isn't 'bolted down' then it's vulnerable I guess. Halfwit trying to sell to a moron for what? Parts? Don't answer that. Probably common..
 
I don't want to dump on Shannons all that much, I've had several car claims and all went through smoothly other than being increasingly difficult to communicate with them since all claims are sent offshore (versus sales where you go straight through to a local). I've had two cars written off, one a no-fault collision (rear ended) which was paid out agreed value within like two days, the other a hailstorm which took a week or more to get assessed since thousands of cars were affected, but was then again paid out within days. Three minor at-fault claims too, two kangaroos and nailing the front bumper on an unexpectedly harsh gradient at an intersection. No grief with any of them, again other than the difficult communication if you need anything clarified.

If you're having trouble, just keep escalating it until you get it seen to by a more senior local agent. My only issues were dealt with easily once I was speaking to someone who wasn't just answering in half-english gibberish reading from stock answers.

For the bikes I never used to be insured either, but it's a pretty good deal these days. Now that both we and the bikes are so old the premium is quite trivial vs sum insured, and you're covered if you crash into a Lambo or just have one of those off-piste whoopsie-diasies like Quentin. Funny enough, theft never really even occurred to me, especially given if you frequent this forum all you read is the few broken-record moaners saying how nobody cares about old bikes anymore. :)
It gets expensive when you crash into the child of a very rich family, or the money earner. The Lambo is cheap by comparison.
Paul
 
Back
Top