the improbable if not unbelievable

lawrence

Hero member
Location
Idaho, USA
I've reached the point in life where I feel obliged to be more considerate of my neighbors -- and I wish to avoid any more conversations at gas and rest stops about the "healthy" exhaust note of my Jota pipes. 
How can I cut a bit of the bark without totally neutering the beast?  Anything available in the aftermarket, or must I play engineer?
I now regret selling the old, socially acceptable Conti pipes.  ::) What have I become?
 
May I respectfully suggest you sell the bike, as is, to someone who has neighbours that appreciate the glorious sound of a Laverda triple with Jota pipes and buy yourself a Zero or a Hardley Lightning.  ;)
Incidentally, i was out earlier today on one of my F500/Montjuics with louder than standard pipes and had loads of admiring glances. Suppose that?s the difference between owning and riding a bike in the IOM and the states.
However, seriously, regarding your ?problem? on which model triple are the Jota pipes fitted?
 
I wouldn't call Jota pipes loud. The SFC 2/1 is loud and my Motodd 3/1 is less loud. The Motodd has been that way for 34 years so I won't be changing that but the SFC I'm thinking that one of Malcom Cox's baffled 2/1s may be the answer for the SFC
 
lawrence said:
I've reached the point in life where I feel obliged to be more considerate of my neighbors -- and I wish to avoid any more conversations at gas and rest stops about the "healthy" exhaust note of my Jota pipes. 
How can I cut a bit of the bark without totally neutering the beast?  Anything available in the aftermarket, or must I play engineer?
I now regret selling the old, socially acceptable Conti pipes.  ::) What have I become?


Lawrence, I?ve got an old Motodd 3:1 fully open system you are welcome to try for a while.  No-one will ever complain about your Jota pipes again...


Yogi
 
motoddrob said:
I wouldn't call Jota pipes loud. The SFC 2/1 is loud and my Motodd 3/1 is less loud.
Rob, mate the SFC is music to my ears but respectfully it is farking loud. I remember following you, me on the MOTODD you on the SFC causing livestock to stampede as you approached. Not much chance of seeing any of the local wildlife when in the company of your SFC with the open 2/1. Luckily you don't have neighbors.
I live in California I don't find Jota pipes loud at all then again the open pipe Harleys have no competition in the loud pipe category.
Just saying, cheers Dave  Good one YOGI
 
I have a set of Redax (Pipemasters?) jota pipes on my Jota. They're a bigger bore than the standard jota pipes and emit quite a healthy bark. I've had comments from other riders who were following close behind me on the highway when I've given it a handful of throttle, but at low revs around city the suburbs it's reasonably benign. Never had a whinge from neighbours or any attention from the police. It really only gets loud from about 6000prm with a lot of throttle.
 
Yes, SFC 2/1s are ... somewhat ... er ... loud. Can't even use them on most racetracks for track days. I call them anti-social - obviously nicer sound than shitbox over-CC'd Hardleys with their ugly shotgun pipes, but anti-social just the same. I added external perforated baffling to mine for many years, which went from being 'instant unroadworthy cert' to 'I can JUST get away with this', and later added an increasing taper perf baffle section out the back. Still sounded fantastic without being absurd ... I'd rather be seen-but-not-heard to the cops out there, but it's not easy with an old thoroughbred like the SF. The SFC 2/1 on throttle off overrun has a bark that's almost louder than full throttle! Had this conversation before at least once on here.

Sorry to hijack the thread - back on topic ... Jota pipes aren't loud.
 
78jotadave said:
Rob, mate the SFC is music to my ears but respectfully it is farking loud. I remember following you, me on the MOTODD you on the SFC causing livestock to stampede as you approached. Not much chance of seeing any of the local wildlife when in the company of your SFC with the open 2/1. Luckily you don't have neighbors.
I live in California I don't find Jota pipes loud at all then again the open pipe Harleys have no competition in the loud pipe category.
Just saying, cheers Dave  Good one YOGI

Never had a roo jump out in from of me while riding the SFC. Probably works better than those Shoo Roo attachments Carlo fitted.
 
Keihan (UK) can make Jota pipes with a full length perforated pipe down the middle surrounded by stainless steel wire wool packing. It takes the bark out of the sound, but leaves the essential character.
 
Easy fix are DB-eaters. Had a company make some for mine when the "T?V" claimed the bike would be to loud. They worked. I removed them right after...
 
lawrence said:
I've reached the point in life where I feel obliged to be more considerate of my neighbors -- and I wish to avoid any more conversations at gas and rest stops about the "healthy" exhaust note of my Jota pipes
Time to rethink what you think about others comments, or buy a yammy and be done with it
 
I've actually ridden the 72 SFC a bit lately, it is brain bogglingly mental... the entire experience,, the position, the vibes, but most of all the NOISE!! This is the pea shooter 2-2. This engine was very carefully honed by Chris Cutler and is bonkers beyond description. I love it. FUCK EM!

To be honest, the 79 jota feels like a retirement home scooter after the SFC.  Peeps just gotta accept, or kill us out. Game on.
 
Paul H said:
Keihan (UK) can make Jota pipes with a full length perforated pipe down the middle surrounded by stainless steel wire wool packing. It takes the bark out of the sound, but leaves the essential character.
Armours can do similar with their exhausts too! You have to specify it though!
 
breganzane said:
I've actually ridden the 72 SFC a bit lately, it is brain bogglingly mental... the entire experience,, the position, the vibes, but most of all the NOISE!! This is the pea shooter 2-2. This engine was very carefully honed by Chris Cutler and is bonkers beyond description. I love it. FUCK EM!

To be honest, the 79 jota feels like a retirement home scooter after the SFC.  Peeps just gotta accept, or kill us out. Game on.

:D :D :D Long live the experience, Steve! I just realised I've never actually ridden an SFC! Or any MV for that matter. Just about every other classic of the era.
 
breganzane said:
I've actually ridden the 72 SFC a bit lately, it is brain bogglingly mental... the entire experience,, the position, the vibes, but most of all the NOISE!! This is the pea shooter 2-2. This engine was very carefully honed by Chris Cutler and is bonkers beyond description. I love it. FUCK EM!

To be honest, the 79 jota feels like a retirement home scooter after the SFC.  Peeps just gotta accept, or kill us out. Game on.

With you there Steve, as uncomfortable as they are, vibrate like a motherfucker there is nothing like riding an SFC. Every time I swing my leg over mine the horns come out and I behaved very antisocial with that rorting 2/1 >:D. Haven't ridden mine for a while now but have been hankering to get it back on the road for another blast before my knees prevent me from bending my leg enough to get the feet on the pegs.
Hey Q, you can take mine for a ride if you ever make it to my neck of the woods. You can too Lee. There is also the Motodd which is equal fun!!
 
I have sat on half a dozen SFCs including yours Rob and Steve Bs, sat on but never got my feet on the pegs and my hands on the bars at the same time. Bit hard to ride if that cannot happen.
 
Rob, my now virus cancelled trip to Oz for the month of April had the first week in WA with a road trip down the SW corner and I planned on getting a ride on that SFC and a coffee from you, I still have the photos you sent me when you bought it in pieces with the new crankshaft and all that stuff for next to nothing you lucky dog. My racer now has the seat raised about an inch and a half, that knee angle isn't such a problem any more, no excuses.
 
Back
Top