the improbable if not unbelievable

That's too bad mate, would have loved to have caught up with you again after all these years. You coming would have inspired me to get it out of the lounge room back in the shed, change out the fluids, remember how to check the points!! [must get a modern ignition]
and she's ready to go.
Welcome any time mate
 
IIRC the clutch is slipping also so a set of Red's kevlar plates may also be required. The Motodd also need kevlar plates due to slipping. Am wondering if the Penrite semi syn is the cause of the problem. Am going back to mineral oil on the next changes. May as well go the whole hog and get an ignition system as well.
I'll wait to see how this virus thing pans out before I start dropping money into motorcycles though. Not sure how much longer I'll be earning money and my investments are returning fuck all.
 
The RGS based track bike I build a couple of years ago had a bit of clutch slip even with new Kevlar plates. Red must have built too much torque into the engine  :D.

It was fixed by putting an extra metal plate in between the two friction plates that normally sit together. No problem with slipping after that.
 
I also have an extra plate fitted in the clutch pack. It slips in 3rd-4th gear when on the gas. I'm blaming either the grunt from Red's motor or semi syn oil.
Hopefully a set of kevlar plates will solve it. Strange that the SFC has the same problem so thinking it's the oil. Kevlar plates all round I reckon.
Motodd plates probably done 60k kays, SFC plates are original and done 28k miles
 
Plates probably just worn out with them k?s Rob.... specially with all the high speed runs out the back blocks  8)
Have ya always used semi synthetic or just a recent change?
 
Hey Hooksie, was using it without realising it was semi syn :o Was wondering why it was way more expensive than the HPR30gas I was using in Sydney. Couldn't find HPR30gas at the usual place I buy my oils so started using HPR10gas and only realised it was semi syn after using it for a few years [actually read the lable]. Was in the days of riding way more frequant than I do now and even the SFC was getting used.
The clutch slip on the Motodd only really showed up after rebuilding the Motor with some of Red's goodies. Putting around no problem but when on the gas 3rd into 4th it slips.
I found some HPRgas 20/60 in Repco which I believe is what they call HPR30gas before so will start using that.
The SFC clutch does the same when on the gas and has done since I used some Rockoil fully syn back in the mid 80s.
It's really only on the track it slips not so road riding. It was never a problem hooning up nand down the Old Rd out of Sydney is why I haven 't changed them out. I'm thinking of recommioning it and start riding it again on the odd occasion so a set of plates would be a part of that.
Cheers
 
hooksey said:
Reckon it contaminates the plates after time, when changing from mineral to synthetic oil.

Only way to go new plates  ;)

No, you can clean the plates with solvent and start afresh.
Been there.

Paul
 
Not in my experience. I have tried that several times to no avail.
Replacement was the only answer.
 
You have to be really careful with Penrite, they make all their specific bike oils in Mineral, semi-synthetic and full synthetic and its easy to get the wrong one. The oil Red recommends after he rebuilds his engines is Penrite MC4 20w50 and I nearly used that in full Synthetic for my bikes first change, not good for braking a new engine in. That should be mineral for the first few changes. Read carefully the label on the bottle. After break-in, Red said he doest care what you use as long as it's changed often.
 
Back
Top