What calipers are these?

Good morning all,
I am doing my nut in trying to get dust covers for the calipers on my bike which I bought off a good chap in Scotland. I have gone a bought another pair of covers for the twin nipple Brembo's (I lost the first set I bought!) but they will not fit on mine as the rib on the side of the caliper is missing. Maybe they've been shaved off?

By the way, the braking performance is awful and I've nearly stuffed it into a car in front on numerous occasions....well 3 times. So I've sorted new pads from Lucas but now i'm wondering if I've even got the caliper model designation right or not.

Thanks in advance,
Jon.

Screenshot 2026-09-29 102653.jpg

Brembo_Part_Number_3411653_Screenshot 2026-09-29 103915.jpg
 
AFAIK, twin nipple calipers fitted to Laverda all had the Brembo name cast in on the outer facing side. And lips to engage with the dust cover!
Wonder if yours are Chinese copies? Your discs don't have Brembo drilling either. Material composition (discs and pads) will affect braking performance, as well as sticky pistons & old seals.
 
The Brembo Gold Line calipers had the ribs ground off, but they still had the Brembo logo on them. They were single nipple, too.

OIP-1273857520.jpg

There was a fashion, at one time, for "shaved calipers". Though why anyone would want to reduce the integrity, of such a safety-critical item, is beyond me.
Yours may be "shaved" ones?
 
They look like the "shaved" Brembo version as fitted to early Ducati 750SS, pretty rare actually! The rib for the dust cover was deleted on these. Very likely thinner pads may be required in order to fit over the stock cast iron discs.

Otherwise, just the same as any other Brembo P08 caliper.

Fresh caliper seals along with a M/C overhaul works wonders for braking performance. For really good braking, replace the cast iron rotor for stainless steel and fit appropriate pads. I've had excellent results with Lucas/TRW carbon/ceramic pads on stainless discs, almost too fierce for street use!

The Brembo Gold Line calipers had the ribs ground off, but they still had the Brembo logo on them. They were single nipple, too.

View attachment 108091

There was a fashion, at one time, for "shaved calipers". Though why anyone would want to reduce the integrity, of such a safety-critical item, is beyond me.
Yours may be "shaved" ones?
Un-sprung weight reduction, very much doubt Brembo compromised the structural integrity. I wouldn't have any issue with removing even more metal... ;)

Alloy pistons were first introduced with the Brembo Oro/Goldline racing series, making them considerably lighter than the cooking P08s. The alloy pistons were then carried over into the production of the black, street versions.

piet
 
Go to this thread here where Paddy Ducati will tell you all you need to know about 'shaved' Brembo calipers ...

 
Go to this thread here where Paddy Ducati will tell you all you need to know about 'shaved' Brembo calipers ...

Is Ducati Paddy still active here? He wanted to buy these calipers off the owner that I bought the bike off because they were as rare as rocking horse shit. I'm guessing now the dust covers cannot be fitted at all.
Cheers,
Jon.
 
The Brembo Gold Line calipers had the ribs ground off, but they still had the Brembo logo on them. They were single nipple, too.

View attachment 108091

There was a fashion, at one time, for "shaved calipers". Though why anyone would want to reduce the integrity, of such a safety-critical item, is beyond me.
Yours may be "shaved" ones?
So they had no dust covers either then?
Cheers,
Jon.
 
They look like the "shaved" Brembo version as fitted to early Ducati 750SS, pretty rare actually! The rib for the dust cover was deleted on these. Very likely thinner pads may be required in order to fit over the stock cast iron discs.

Otherwise, just the same as any other Brembo P08 caliper.

Fresh caliper seals along with a M/C overhaul works wonders for braking performance. For really good braking, replace the cast iron rotor for stainless steel and fit appropriate pads. I've had excellent results with Lucas/TRW carbon/ceramic pads on stainless discs, almost too fierce for street use!


Un-sprung weight reduction, very much doubt Brembo compromised the structural integrity. I wouldn't have any issue with removing even more metal... ;)

Alloy pistons were first introduced with the Brembo Oro/Goldline racing series, making them considerably lighter than the cooking P08s. The alloy pistons were then carried over into the production of the black, street versions.

piet
Thanks for your reply. First I am going to fir these Lucas sintered pads. Hopefully they'll fit though now after your post, I'm not too sure! lol
Cheers,
Jon.
 
There is also much discussion here on the forum about alternative size and type of master cylinder for better braking.
To be honest I think the braking system is fine and just the pads have glazed over or I'm expecting too much from them. We will see when I get these new pads in.........and forget the bloody dust covers that I've now bought twice!!
Cheers,
Jon.
 
Last edited:
Properly set up, the P08 calipers are quite adequate for road use. Of course, "better" is always the foe of the "good"...

A useful upgrade is the fitment of a slightly smaller M/C, 14mm or 9/16" is an excellent pairing for the 08s. Lots to choose from. Stainless discs are more consistant under heavy braking and far better in the wet given appropriate pads. Cast iron rotors can also be perfectly adequate with the correct pads, but disc wear can mean replacement might be on the cards in the near future, so stainless can be a serious consideration. Besides, it does away with the rust on wet discs.

The only 4-pot calipers that bolt straight on to the Ceriani forks of the triples are the BMW/Brembo type used on many Beemer models throughout the '90s-2010 approx. Not quite a plug-'n-play exercise, but pretty much hassle-free. Not sure if their off-set allows equally easy fitment to the Marzocchi forks though.

Most 4-pot calipers work well with the stock PS15 M/C, which is actually 15.8mm.

Of course, throwing unlimited $ at the front end can give you brakes that bring the tyre to squirm under braking in all conditions, but that opens a whole new can of worms...

piet

Budget brakes.jpg
 
The Brembo Gold Line calipers had the ribs ground off, but they still had the Brembo logo on them. They were single nipple, too.

View attachment 108091

There was a fashion, at one time, for "shaved calipers". Though why anyone would want to reduce the integrity, of such a safety-critical item, is beyond me.
Yours may be "shaved" ones?
Once upon a time, there was a Hooting RGS Corsa coming down from 220kph, into a reduced speed zone ( was it 40kph or 140... hard to tell with watering eyes ) dab on the front brake at around 60kph, front Gold's lock up solid and would not release, whole front end dancing and skipping from side to side, off the road and into an embankment, still vertical.

The sheer skill of the rider was tantamount to saving the day, yer for sure, was a bronco rider the whole time, waiting to be spat off, tank slapper and all. Had a warning prior when a car on wrong side of road came at me same bike, stopped in time though the golds were locked solid.

Rebuilt the calipers, inspected the master for usual suspects ( also rebuilt ) , though my inclination was the calipers, premise being to locate the reason and not simply "shotgun" replacing consumables. Else you never know if it will happen again, with serious outcomes. j.
 
Good morning all,
I am doing my nut in trying to get dust covers for the calipers on my bike which I bought off a good chap in Scotland. I have gone a bought another pair of covers for the twin nipple Brembo's (I lost the first set I bought!) but they will not fit on mine as the rib on the side of the caliper is missing. Maybe they've been shaved off?

By the way, the braking performance is awful and I've nearly stuffed it into a car in front on numerous occasions....well 3 times. So I've sorted new pads from Lucas but now i'm wondering if I've even got the caliper model designation right or not.

Thanks in advance,
Jon.

View attachment 108087

View attachment 108088

A quick and easy solution would be a simple race tie wire around one nipple thread, over the cover (either side of the centre rib) and onto the other nipple thread would secure it in place. And look race credible as well 😉
 
Rebuilt the calipers, inspected the master for usual suspects ( also rebuilt ) , though my inclination was the calipers, premise being to locate the reason and not simply "shotgun" replacing consumables. Else you never know if it will happen again, with serious outcomes. j.
Ugly! Did you discover a reason for the lockup, Jon? I rode Goldline calipers and master for years - they essentially identical internally to the common or garden 08s
 
Back
Top