Witt DMC2 ignition any good for 750

  • Thread starter Thread starter John lord
  • Start date Start date
what's the point as Mr Marx would say?

I have a large quantity of NOS (Bosch) advance /retard springs which I bought from USA when I discovered that our illustrated editor, needed them in his 750 to solve erratic timing, thinking that there must be many others in the same situation, my brother in law was one of them, and it solved his woes, difficult to detect wear in those little biro springs, and actually quite a technical thing to get static and advancing timing correct, better than the stock EI on triples as it does actually advance rather "switch to" full advanced position, we used my unworn ATD to compare, then I sold him a Todd ignition (100 points for conflict?)

I am rambling, but I wanted to say that I have the springs, (annoyingly in packets of five) and if you have difficulty in "holding" your timing when you check it, this could be the problem.

points last 50,000 kilometres at least, and if you get a failure you can usually fix at the roadside, or even get home on one cylinder.

CLEM
 
LOL Paul, different setups need different requirements. We have modified the advance units, reducing max advance for our high comp bikes, and adjusting spring tension to get somewhere near the rate of advance we were happy with, just like the laptop does.
 
Paul Marx said:
How dare you!
Monika doesn't need spares and I update her regularly.

Paul

I'm sure you do ....

e2f1c441bcc9c1a83a2fdf698331c578-1024x512.jpg


Jim
 
Holy shit lads , more trouble than its worth , ill have some new springs Clem , cheers ,
Just got it out of its packaging says , DMC/2 +Norm
Code 17124 
God knows what that means , well i do know , but 3 strikes and im out so better shut me ucking mouth .
 
Piranha Brother 2 said:
Sacrilege, Piet!!! Didn't you read Paul's post in this thread??!!  :D . They don't wear out - they just grow old (a bit like parrots, they don't die, they just fall asleep off their perch).

Fixed...

All DMC2 and DMC32 units for the 750 Lavs will work on all previously points-equipped 750s.  GT or SF, that's what the different (15) advance curves are for.  The factory specified the exact same ignition hardware for all 750 models.

Just returned from a quick spin on the GTL with the newly programmed DMC unit, very pleased.  Now running 2 single low-resistance PVL coils with sequential- instead of wasted-spark.  Idle is now as stable as with well-adjusted points, starting even better. :D  I'm quite confident while Paul is fiddling with his points every other weekend, I'll be out and enjoying the GTL to the full.  Fit and forget is how I like it.  I'll have a spare Magic Eye in my tool roll, a very cheap and effective insurance that it'll never fail.

piet
 
sfcpiet said:
Fixed...

I'll have a spare Magic Eye in my tool roll, a very cheap and effective insurance that it'll never fail.

piet

Ha! Good point(s), Piet  :-*

Is the Magic Eye an optical trigger thing? I think my Ignitech runs something similar - don't really need hall effect on 750s as they don't generate as much heat in the ignition case to cause potential probs that afflict triples.
 
DMC optical sensor in my triple for a similar amount of time without any problems. Could be different if that crankshaft oil-seal lets go.
 
sfcpiet said:
Fixed...

All DMC2 and DMC32 units for the 750 Lavs will work on all previously points-equipped 750s.  GT or SF, that's what the different (15) advance curves are for.  The factory specified the exact same ignition hardware for all 750 models.

Just returned from a quick spin on the GTL with the newly programmed DMC unit, very pleased.  Now running 2 single low-resistance PVL coils with sequential- instead of wasted-spark.  Idle is now as stable as with well-adjusted points, starting even better. :D  I'm quite confident while Paul is fiddling with his points every other weekend, I'll be out and enjoying the GTL to the full.  Fit and forget is how I like it.  I'll have a spare Magic Eye in my tool roll, a very cheap and effective insurance that it'll never fail.

piet

Haven't looked at the timing since setting it before going to Breganze on the SF2. Have done 6000km since.
Will be taking the bike on touring hols in a month. Will not take a look, it's running lovely. The only preparation will be checking secondary chain.
You cannot start better than immediately.  :D

Paul

Paul
 
Legs said:
DMC optical sensor in my triple for a similar amount of time without any problems. Could be different if that crankshaft oil-seal lets go.

Points conversion on a triple is a pain in the arse.
I can well understand you putting a DMC on a triple. The original setup is crap. The original 750 setup is perfect.

Paul
 
And after all that , i still got to buy coils, wasted sparks, and carry a spare magic eye , for what ive just fitted a all singing dancing thing and im still carrying spare parts about and its brand new , do you need a genie , incase you need too make a wish , like can i have my points back please ,could they make it more complicated than it is , all that and make a space for it all too fit. Forget it . RPM BERT , you better be getting your money together , MATE
Definitely 
More
Complicated .  Clues in the name
 
Piranha Brother 2 said:
Ha! Good point(s), Piet  :-*

Is the Magic Eye an optical trigger thing? I think my Ignitech runs something similar - don't really need hall effect on 750s as they don't generate as much heat in the ignition case to cause potential probs that afflict triples.
Ignitech (back when they communicated with me) advised hall effect instead of coil trigger as the 750 ignition is half engine speed and small radius, and borderline for coil system. Apparently the Ignitech isn?t true hall effect (whatever that is) and is actually optical.
 
Tippie said:
Ignitech (back when they communicated with me) advised hall effect instead of coil trigger as the 750 ignition is half engine speed and small radius, and borderline for coil system. Apparently the Ignitech isn?t true hall effect (whatever that is) and is actually optical.

I used to stock bikes in the hall.
Now, I have a garage.

Paul
 
Hi John, I have had a Witt fitted to my mirage for about 10 years and really pleased with it. I have a Witt that I will be fitting to my SF1 soon and also have a wiring diagram and English fitting instructions if you need a copy. I could photograph them with my phone and send them to you if you wish?
Regards,
Tyrone.
 
What coils have you used Tyrone , and , may be i will see how yours goes , as my points set up is great , and really does seem a shame to mess when i havent got any problems ,just got the opportunity too swop some work , for a electronic ignition set up , but , very undecided, as my GTL runs great , now just spoke too a guy i know , had work done on his bike by Laverda expert and he fits a ignitec , now may be thats telling me somthing ! The instructions in english might be a help , 😂 Johnlord64@hotmail.co.uk . Cheers 👍🏻Tyrone
Oh Cheers Clem , nice one 👍🏻
 
Back
Top