Zane starter motor running backwards ?

Location
Cotwolds
Had my starter motor out and serviced - put it back in but i think its running backwards - still got two brushes but when i got it back the cable post was facing the wrong side so i had to loosen the casing and twist the part which bolts to the case by 180 degrees - i had to remove the long bolts which hold the motor together and hold the brush plate - pic here shows the gears - i have not touched the crank mounted gear which runs anticlockwise when you push the starter button , only removed the idler and starter motor - i think this motor runs backwards in a Ducati - do the cranks run backwards in Ducatis ?

2024-04-19 17.56.17.jpg
 
Had my starter motor out and serviced - put it back in but i think its running backwards - still got two brushes but when i got it back the cable post was facing the wrong side so i had to loosen the casing and twist the part which bolts to the case by 180 degrees - i had to remove the long bolts which hold the motor together and hold the brush plate - pic here shows the gears - i have not touched the crank mounted gear which runs anticlockwise when you push the starter button , only removed the idler and starter motor - i think this motor runs backwards in a Ducati - do the cranks run backwards in Ducatis ?

View attachment 89470
Yes they do.
Marnix
 
Are you sure you recieved YOUR starter back? Yep, Ducati starters are identical, polarity is reversed though.

The end plates have locating tabs for their dedicated positions, turning through 180° may not allow it to seat properly.

Wouldn't advise hitting the starter button without the cover fitted and plugs installed, the idle gear axle boss in the crankcase may crack.

You cut your gaskets from Corn Flake boxes? You are aware they're still available?

piet
 
Yes had taken a picture but not marked up the casing - so I understand the plate may be in a different place - now - I only flicked the button to see if it ran with the case on then momentarily with it off to see which way the starter was running - without putting the whole thing back together - and finding the same - in 10 mins I had the starter out again - so I need to get it changed around to ensure the starter runs clockwise

So just to confirm the starter motor should turn the motor over in the direction the motor runs ie the crank runs clockwise when viewing from the rhs

Will get a new gasket when I come to Breganze in July but the lager box will suffice 🤣
 
Had my starter motor out and serviced - put it back in but i think its running backwards - still got two brushes but when i got it back the cable post was facing the wrong side so i had to loosen the casing and twist the part which bolts to the case by 180 degrees - i had to remove the long bolts which hold the motor together and hold the brush plate - pic here shows the gears - i have not touched the crank mounted gear which runs anticlockwise when you push the starter button , only removed the idler and starter motor - i think this motor runs backwards in a Ducati - do the cranks run backwards in Ducatis ?

View attachment 89470
Did nobody tell you that since Brexit, they should run positive earth?
Paul
 
<snip> do the cranks run backwards in Ducatis ?
(C'mon Adam! You KNOW the answer to this ....)

Look at the brush holding plate to make sure you still have the right one and the shop hasn't switched yours over, some how. As Piet said (and as you know ...), they are notably different, Ducrappi. vs Laverda. I've posted images below.
 
Last edited:
Here they are:
Thanks 😁 I have read the various threads and yes he could have put a Ducati plate in - so in reality I need to get a new plate - what threw me was me having to move the body 180 degrees in order to get the bolts lined up and the post in right place - will call them Monday and check - I don’t want to take it apart as I have a start point now ie it’s going in the wrong direction - ironically the place selling the plates is in Gloucester same town I got it serviced in 😉 will get there one way or another
 
What's the point in fitting a 2-brush plate again? Going be just as mediocre as before...

piet
Personally ...
I never noticed any difference after doing the 4-brush conversion, Piet. I dunno ..

My solution is just to send as many amps down those wires as I can find. Unless you have a secret stash of the resized gears somewhere ...??:unsure::unsure:
 
So I rang the the starter place and they said loosen the bolts and turn the boss 180 degrees so I did this and it made no difference still ran anti clockwise - so then tried spinning the back plate 180 degrees - still anti-clockwise - the back plate is the same as I delivered there and looking at the diagrams above I have the right back plate - all they have done is change the brushes and clean the commutator up - if I reverse the polarity it runs the correct way - mystified !!!!! IMG_0823.jpeg
 
If I'm not totally mistaken, the rotation direction of these things is determined by the direction of the armature windings.

Much the same as Bosch and SJCE starters I'd suspect... outwardly almost identical, but winding directions of both field and armature are reversed to another, making it impossible to use Bosch parts to salvage a SJCE unit. Unless a reversed rotation is desired.

piet
 
This starter came out of my bike and was clearly going in the right direction not a week ago - so I just returned it to him and we had a look together but he said would need more time so left it with him marked up with the direction required. Fingers crossed
 
This starter came out of my bike and was clearly going in the right direction not a week ago - so I just returned it to him and we had a look together but he said would need more time so left it with him marked up with the direction required. Fingers crossed
Sounds like your heading in the right direction Sir Sid (y)..........unlike your starter:unsure:
 
So I rang the the starter place and they said loosen the bolts and turn the boss 180 degrees so I did this and it made no difference still ran anti clockwise - so then tried spinning the back plate 180 degrees - still anti-clockwise - the back plate is the same as I delivered there and looking at the diagrams above I have the right back plate - all they have done is change the brushes and clean the commutator up - if I reverse the polarity it runs the correct way - mystified !!!!! View attachment 89497
I told you it was positive earth.
Paul
 
Will get a new gasket when I come to Breganze in July but the lager box will suffice 🤣
Not for long. Cardboard from Cornflakes (or any other packaging) is too porous and will behave like a wick, sucking the oil through by capillary action. I'd give it a couple of days before you start seeing oil on the outside. If you want something to tide you over until you can get a proper gasket, you can seal Cornflakes cardboard by soaking it in diluted PVA glue, then let it dry before installing it. It works better than un-treated cardboard, but not as well as the proper stuff.
I know this from when I was a penniless student, too poor to buy proper gaskets. But I had an old Triumph Bonneville back in those days. I believe it was designed to leak oil as a form of rust prevention, so the standard of oil-tightness wasn't as demanding as you expect from bikes these days.
 
Back
Top