Cam chain for 500 Lav

I'm still absolutely stunned that any reputable manufacturer would design and build an engine that uses a 'custom' size chain. Fuck me, even bicycles from virtually every corner of the globe have a consistent chain spec!!!!!!!!! I couldn't own a moto with that degree of obsolescence built in.
 
I'm still absolutely stunned that any reputable manufacturer would design and build an engine that uses a 'custom' size chain. Fuck me, even bicycles from virtually every corner of the globe have a consistent chain spec!!!!!!!!! I couldn't own a moto with that degree of obsolescence built in.

Haven't you had the experience of sourcing ball or roller bearings for late model motorcycles ?
Honda and Yamaha both frequently use unique bearing sizes. haven't struck it much on the others - yet - but it is a way to ensure sales of OE parts....

I used to joke it was so bad on Yamahas because a designer had a relation who owned a bearing company. Then I found out that Honda cars frequently have unique size plain bearing shells too.

Not designed in obsolescence - just ensuring captive customers for parts.
 
I'm still absolutely stunned that any reputable manufacturer would design and build an engine that uses a 'custom' size chain. Fuck me, even bicycles from virtually every corner of the globe have a consistent chain spec!!!!!!!!! I couldn't own a moto with that degree of obsolescence built in.
Laverda were never a reputable manufacturer.
Just a small town concern. It never took off.

Paul
 
My guess is that Laverda chose the smaller chain because they wanted to make the 500 smaller and lighter and that was a new option on the market. In the end nobody else went for it, so they and Guzzi ended up with a unicorn solution. Nothing nefarious, things just didn't pan out the way they assumed.
This is a pretty major conundrum... could see the 500's off the road before their time. Folks will be digging out any chains changed out early and not chucked out, that's for sure...

Is the crank sprocket integral to the web like a triple, or is there a centre pin like a 750? If the latter it's not the end of the world to do a conversion to 06B or a hyvo - if it can be made to fit. Presumably the cam sprockets are no big deal. Something for Red in his spare time. :D
 
centre pin similar to 750, press fit into the webs same as a triple, could easily machine new crank pins with "normal" pitch sprocket
question is, do I want to, am getting tired of working on Laverda's
 
That's put the purchase of a V50 on temporary hold...🙁
Get a 1912 Humber.
No parts whatsoever obtainable.
Can still be ridden and maintained.

Consumerism needs novelty, and the throwing out of older stuff, not conceived to be repaired since a long time.

Paul
 
I expect the parts list is significantly smaller than a guzzi...I've worked around plenty of engineering problems but making bespoke chains has thus far escaped me..
 
Get three Guzzi chains, carefully split one so you can reuse links. Make two Laverda chains and sell one to get your outlay back. Worth a thought.
 
Why? Not being disrespectful, just curious. I suppose I should have highlighted CAREFULLY. Every side plate is rivetted. Every rear chain has either a split or a soft link. Every Laverda cam chain has a split link. Would two split links work? If the chain is obsolete and the only option is to use one that is worn out then I would try it. The theory is that a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link but they don't break, they wear out.
 
Every rivetted side plate that is removed from a chain will be weakened through the removal. The pins are a press fit. Upon fitting, the plate bores will be slightly opened up due to the pin expanding through the rivetting. The protruding part of the pin would need to be ground off, otherwise the pin would open the bore even further when pressed apart. This applies to ALL chains.

When making timing and primary chains from bulk lengths, I use only NEW rivet connecting links for lengthening or connections.

As I understand, the Guzzi chain is endless, no connecting links available from them. The connecting link as used by Laverda was pretty unique, supplies of these are drying up rapidly.

With the 500s and its derivatives spinning to 10 grand, and more on a good day, I personally wouldn't risk using a botched chain. I've seen too much timing and primary chain damage, not very funny. Sure, just tootling around might keep a botched chain going for quite a while, but where's the point in keeping revs down on these things?

piet
 
Andy.
112 link Iwis chain, split link type, originals had a wire link.
If you want it its £50 inc postage providing you live in uk.
Will go through other bits but will probably get daughter to put them on Internet as not sure of current prices
Peter..
Hello Peter, can I be added for interest in any 500 bikes and parts, I race a 500 and am always interested in spares to keep the twin running
 
Back
Top