Cars and bikes I’ve come across in my travels

A typical street scene on a quiet side street in the Old Town. Our guide on the scooter tour told me that the sidewalks were for parking, not for people. Pedestrians share the road with bikes, car, buses and trucks.
IMG_1530.jpeg

Hanoi traffic is surreal, at least the old city where we stayed. A million motorbikes, and I didn't hear or see a single one riding stupid in haste or revving it up. The road is completely full of moving traffic, to cross you simply look straight ahead and slowly walk out into it, never look at the traffic, it just merges away around you as you cross, an incredible experience that it takes some mind power to actually do, as in any other place in the world you would be instantly run down. Guide books say to never raise your voice or show anger, as that is anathema to their culture, it seems to translate to the traffic. Old Hanoi is one of the most fantastic places I have ever visited, it was some years back and I hope it stays. Apparently SaiGon is not the same.

The road is completely full of moving traffic, to cross you simply look straight ahead and slowly walk out into it, never look at the traffic, it just merges away around you as you cross, an incredible experience that it takes some mind power to actually do, as in any other place in the world you would be instantly run down.
It's the same in Italy, Naples particularly contrary to expectations. Just go for it, what you can't control, others can. More respect for zebra crossings in Naples than in France.
Paul

Yes, a crosswalk, it’s a bit casual here! The fine for not wearing a helmet is $10, same as running a red light, speeding is $20. But since a used scooter can be had for $200, it’s a sizable amount.
A new top of the line 155cc Honda is $2000 usd, but most are 125’s and around $1500. Taxes go way up on annything over 135cc so 155 is about the biggest commonly seen. Import duty on cars and big bore bikes is really high, been told it is up to 100% in some cases. But I got passed by a big red Ducati and I’ve seen a Ferrari! There is even a Morgan dealer here in Hanoi…..
The government is trying to keep people on bikes since if all these scooters were cars it would be gridlocked everywhere. They just want them to be electric since the air quality is awful in many cities. And Vinfast, the local car and scooter maker is big in EVs.

Hanoi traffic is surreal, at least the old city where we stayed. A million motorbikes, and I didn't hear or see a single one riding stupid in haste or revving it up. The road is completely full of moving traffic, to cross you simply look straight ahead and slowly walk out into it, never look at the traffic, it just merges away around you as you cross, an incredible experience that it takes some mind power to actually do, as in any other place in the world you would be instantly run down. Guide books say to never raise your voice or show anger, as that is anathema to their culture, it seems to translate to the traffic. Old Hanoi is one of the most fantastic places I have ever visited, it was some years back and I hope it stays. Apparently SaiGon is not the same.
Saigon is just a big new Asian city, no character at all. To cross the street there are three rules: let them see you, walk at a steady pace and DONT STOP.
And yes, always smile, no matter what happens. Even better laugh at how stupid these foreigners can be and they will smile and laugh with you and it will all work out.
This is why nobody here likes the Russians: they are bullies and try to push people around with loud commands and demands. To them you kiss up and kick down, boots are for kicking or kissing…..

Whole family used scooter taxi one day (only one passenger per bike), nothing scary. We did a great mc tour three nights away at farm stays type stuff out of Hanoi, but we didn't go through the centre of the old city.

Whole family used scooter taxi one day (only one passenger per bike), nothing scary. We did a great mc tour three nights away at farm stays type stuff out of Hanoi, but we didn't go through the centre of the old city.
We use Grab (local Uber) scooter taxis all the time if we don’t have much stuff since two scooters are cheaper than one car, also faster. Typically we scooter to the shops and car back with our stuff.

Oops, before CK sees this and gets the shits I better just confirm pic was taken as he was driving away.:LOL:
(Apologies Chris, I don't take pics as good as the chinese:ROFLMAO:)

:LOL: All is good, I knew I was taking off.

To some, it looks like I was badly parked, shame you can't see my blindly bright LED running lights up front from that angle.
Thanks for the water, had a great shower at Wavely Creek RA.

Back