Cars and bikes I’ve come across in my travels

Apparently these XR’s are being rented as adventure bikes here. I have seen several convoys of westerners with identical dry packs lashed to the back. This one seems to be owned by a local.IMG_1612.jpeg

This BMW GS was owned by this guy who had taken 10 days to ride up from his home in Saigon to Sa Pa , 12kms from the Chinese border.IMG_1611.jpeg
BTW, there were three Party guys in helmets and armbands keeping an eye on the square, as I walked away they converged on him and began giving him the third degree. Up here in the far north is the only place I have seen the heavy hand of the Party so obviously applied, but we have been told that there are neighborhood wardens everywhere that keep an eye on the people constantly.

Those XR are what we did our guided tour on, came with zero km on the clock. Identical to the bikes my sons owned in Norway at the time. They would be an XL in Australia, as they are far from being an XR enduro weapon. The only time we encountered the authorities was when following a map to a museum we walked past a walled in guarded place of some sort and a group of guards waved their rifles at us and gesticulated that we should get out of sight and find another route. There is no doubt that the society is heavily regulated, it is well documented.

Had a ‘98 XR400, ended up stood in garage from 2001 until last year. I cleaned the carb, replaced oil, filter and plug, and it fired up for first time in 22 years. Stockin engines, but can be interesting to start when hot.

There is no doubt that the society is heavily regulated, it is well documented.

While in Taiwan, or was it China???, I was staying at a hotel that had a possie of black cars with flags on the bonnet/hood pull into the driveway in the afternoon.

The next morning I was outside the lobby, having a smoke and I looked up, and on a pedestrian overpass was a bloke dressed in black pointing a sniper type riffle at my head. A bloke in a blue polo with a hand gun underneath walked out of the lobby, looked at me, then looked up at the sniper and spoke into his wrist while shaking his head, and then all the black cars came flying out of the hotels parking area and down the street.

By the time I looked up at the sniper, he was gone.... those fuckers scared the rice outa me!

It's always surprised me how few armed security especially the snipers haven't gone rogue over the years and shot the people they are protecting. The only one that comes to mind was I think the President of Egypt.

It’s just a 125cc shitbox step-through, but notice the custom billet swingarm and Brembo brakes along with the custom paint. This kid is a delivery driver for a DoorDash type company and he has spent a ton of money on his ride. Just like all of us, he’s sure that it gonna get him girls!
IMG_1508.jpegIMG_1510.jpegIMG_1509.jpeg

A couple of random step throughs that caught my eye. The blue one is in the Yamaha dealers entrance and is available in many colors. It seems that the basic step through chassis is available in either CVT or manual gearbox versions and in capacities from 125cc up to 155cc from the big manufacturers.
IMG_1467.jpegIMG_1451.jpegIMG_1452.jpeg
We are leaving Vietnam in a few days to return to Thailand, so there will most likely be no more posts for a while. The Thais are not as bike crazy as the Viets and there was little of interest there three months ago when we were last there.

Another Simson. I don’t get the handle at mounted rear light but I like it. Hamburg last Tuesday. Business meeting so no chance to meet up with Hamburg Laverda people. My bad.
IMG_8278.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8276.jpeg
    IMG_8276.jpeg
    239.3 KB · Views: 20
I was searching mobile.de for one of these:IMG_0123.png
When I saw this:IMG_0121.png
Any idea what it might be? Another wacky custom? A search for Honda Dream on mobile.de brings up the seller who shows a number of odd Hondas. Any of our European members familiar with them? And look in the background: an MT-5 Paris-Dakar?

I saw this overloaded KTM in Hue yesterday. It looks like a foreigner’s ADV touring bike. And they are riding two-up based on the two helmets!
IMG_1653.jpeg

I saw this overloaded KTM in Hue yesterday. It looks like a foreigner’s ADV touring bike. And they are riding two-up based on the two helmets!
IMG_1653.jpeg
Why not? Most ADV riders are way overloaded I rode two up overloaded for thousands of miles on an ancient Laverda (pre ADV bikes). My mate Rob rode his SF 750 from Vancouver to Guadalajara- Mexico City -Yucatan via Baja two-up overloaded and friggin nailing it at times, what a trip. Step through thingys as I said before are not real motorbikes. The KTM is a good choice for ADV riding, but not as much fun as an SF with a 3C in tow to keep you honest.You ride what you got.

The cruiser Honda - 50? - is a custom I'm fairly sure. Nicely done too.
The MT5 behind, we didn't get here. We got the road version MB5 which were the source of 6 speed boxes to fit to the big brother MB100 for bucket racing. The frames were pretty much the same 50 to 100. So 20 plus HP plus an enthusiastic rider on a street circuit made entertaining viewing. I did brace one up which at least made me feel safer tesing it up the road. At least it went in a straight line after bracing.

Back