LED indicators

I pointed out to him that it was all protected with an RCD, so it wouldn't electrocute anyone. That didn't seem to comfort him much.
It’s a real misconception that RCDs/ELCBs will save you from electrocution. If there’s no earth leakage, you are just another load and you’ll fry until the CB trips on over current. A split second is more than enough time.
 
Seen plenty of self-confident non-sparkys muck with it on building sites, why risk it when even the pros get belted on occasions. It's a very rare day I went anywhere near live juice other than when doing Demo and even then I would just put the cables away if possible. It did get my attention once pulling a huge overhead exhaust fan in a shop with an extra hidden live feed, quite a big bang happened on that occasion. Scared me good at the time.
 
Being the fellow true, a friend to all, take his side, my response to home made electrics, "i was never here..." never met you in my life... should cover it.... place we bought, old beach shack ( same today ), had all my electric and gas welding in garden shed, GPO in the carport, run lead to shed, start welding ( CIG Transtig 150 ), end of welding, go to carport GPO, extension plug top is fussed to the outlet, i mean one piece.... remove old fuse base ( never buy an electricians house, he/she never works there ) cut the GPO off the wall with angle grinder, how wonderful, the link from inside GPO to outside ( non water resistant GPO ) was a piece of 7.5A extension flex, completely melted, not quite shorted A to N.... shack was built by a clerk whom worked in the ACT.

RCD, sound man Cam, "safety switch" oft promoted is for fools use, problem is what happens if you get across A - N direct, no residual current now...your the load... never mind it says "safety switch/breaker fitted" again i side with your visitor....he is alive, perhaps not so convinced you would be in time... how could you get across A-N? Neutral is MEN ie tied to earth at the switchboard, some home electrician wires up an extension lead, swaps Neutral and Earth connections at one end. No problem E and N are tied Plug in your grandads metal clad drill or demo hammer, were ok to go... get another home made extension lead with A-N transposed.... both leads are no problem on their own, connected together, metal clad is now at active potential...wet earth or other metal parts around you at a gradient of earth potential. You may be lucky and some current will divert to Earth or maybe not. Highly improbable the above, then how do electricians know of this scenario?
 
It’s a real misconception that RCDs/ELCBs will save you from electrocution. If there’s no earth leakage, you are just another load and you’ll fry until the CB trips on over current. A split second is more than enough time.
beat me too it rowdypat... 100% correct, my post same time as yours....regards j.
 
I have one of those test pens, I don't trust it A LICK. You're a long time dead if you're wrong.
What a chicken, Vince. Real men ask the apprentice to drop the sub circuit breaker before you work on the premises.."Ok i did it"... bang!.... Walking under a ladder with apprentice above... you deserve what you will get, harsh but true.... or the home made "repair " owner... i have fixed the problem...all you have to do is make it work.....what?" Pithy though word true, had it all...j
 
I'm very meticulous about getting A N and E connections right. I've been doing domestic wiring since I was a kid. My dad taught me when I was old enough to use a screwdriver. He was a licenced electrician as well as an electrical engineer. He knew that as a curious kid I'd eventually be poking things into power sockets or taking them apart, so he figured I'd be safer if I knew what I was doing.

I can't remember the last time I wired something incorrectly, but I know it's possible. All it takes is a lapse of concentration, so I always double check installations on completion. I have a test device that I plug into a GPO or extension lead to check that the connections are right. All sparkys will have them, but for the uneducated it's just a simple device with 3 coloured lights that you plug into a socket. Different lights will light up when plugged in, depending on how the plug is wired. There are heaps of versions on the market, some more advanced than others (some have press buttons to do further tests). If you wire your own plug sockets or extension cords, I strongly recommend you get one and use it. They're not expensive. Here's an example.

 
Right you are Cam, if the same concept today as you indicate, the three neon test plug originated from the 70's, i recall them well, the simple ones. Rushing to an important gig a couple of years back, mis wired N-E ie transposed on a powerful LED wash light i designed and constructed. Big RSL auditorium, large industrial grade switch board, did trip the ELCB, was convinced i was right and the board breaker was wrong... just takes once to overlook or check a wiring configuration... hard to accept that i wired it wrong, rush or no rush on the day. The mis wire posting was aimed towards the gifted amateur as the working ladies trade term... would represent, grin here. Compliments to your dad of the days past. j.
 
I'm very meticulous about getting A N and E connections right. I've been doing domestic wiring since I was a kid. My dad taught me when I was old enough to use a screwdriver. He was a licenced electrician as well as an electrical engineer. He knew that as a curious kid I'd eventually be poking things into power sockets or taking them apart, so he figured I'd be safer if I knew what I was doing.

I can't remember the last time I wired something incorrectly, but I know it's possible. All it takes is a lapse of concentration, so I always double check installations on completion. I have a test device that I plug into a GPO or extension lead to check that the connections are right. All sparkys will have them, but for the uneducated it's just a simple device with 3 coloured lights that you plug into a socket. Different lights will light up when plugged in, depending on how the plug is wired. There are heaps of versions on the market, some more advanced than others (some have press buttons to do further tests). If you wire your own plug sockets or extension cords, I strongly recommend you get one and use it. They're not expensive. Here's an example.

Ok for a lead I guess, downstream of an RCD. But not usually used by sparkies here because they don’t see a mains transposition.
 
And are there any others with LED turn indicator lamps on their bike? As distinct to LED indicator lamps in their power point test jigger (I found it interesting that although it was apparently illegal to install your own power points, the packet came with installation and wiring instructions).
I like the idea of some small effective things to replace the current ones on my bike, there must be others here who have fitted various types.
 
I'm very meticulous about getting A N and E connections right. I've been doing domestic wiring since I was a kid. My dad taught me when I was old enough to use a screwdriver. He was a licenced electrician as well as an electrical engineer. He knew that as a curious kid I'd eventually be poking things into power sockets or taking them apart, so he figured I'd be safer if I knew what I was doing.

I can't remember the last time I wired something incorrectly, but I know it's possible. All it takes is a lapse of concentration, so I always double check installations on completion. I have a test device that I plug into a GPO or extension lead to check that the connections are right. All sparkys will have them, but for the uneducated it's just a simple device with 3 coloured lights that you plug into a socket. Different lights will light up when plugged in, depending on how the plug is wired. There are heaps of versions on the market, some more advanced than others (some have press buttons to do further tests). If you wire your own plug sockets or extension cords, I strongly recommend you get one and use it. They're not expensive. Here's an example.

Reminds me of an incident when I was still in short pants, had an argument with my parents about not wanting to go somewhere and was left at home in my bedroom. Bored, I decided to ‘explore’ what was the other side of the electric socket. After that experience I was always a lot more respectful when it came to ‘playing’ with electrics.
 
And are there any others with LED turn indicator lamps on their bike? As distinct to LED indicator lamps in their power point test jigger (I found it interesting that although it was apparently illegal to install your own power points, the packet came with installation and wiring instructions).
I like the idea of some small effective things to replace the current ones on my bike, there must be others here who have fitted various types.
Yup, Im running moto gadget bar ends " Mo blaze disc" and the tiny bullet indicators called Mo Blaze Pin. no dramas with them on 3 different bikes. But I am running their full system, so I havent had to set them up into existing classic bike systems
 
Ok for a lead I guess, downstream of an RCD. But not usually used by sparkies here because they don’t see a mains transposition.
Not sure what you mean by mains transposition. If it's active and neutral transposed, then yes, they'll identify that fault.
If you mean an inverted phase rotation back at the transformer, then they wouldn't identify that, but it wouldn't matter in a single phase domestic installation anyway. It would only be an issue where a property is supplied with 3-phase arse about.
 
It still doesn’t pass Tom , your yellow backing plate needs to extend down 600 from memory…

Your cat could still gets it’s tail up there and get zapped
 
It still doesn’t pass Tom , your yellow backing plate needs to extend down 600 from memory…

Your cat could still gets it’s tail up there and get zapped
Roger that Mr Cosi
Not sure what I was thinking 🧐

Will get right on to it
Might just fully line the shed and be done with it👍👍

Sure I could get some sort of tips on what sort of lining , insulation and fit out from this Forum
🙄
 
Roger that Mr Cosi
Not sure what I was thinking 🧐

Will get right on to it
Might just fully line the shed and be done with it👍👍

Sure I could get some sort of tips on what sort of lining , insulation and fit out from this Forum
🙄
T.C. has taken it well to date, the fellow is now contemplating lining the whole shed!!?.... he wanted to help with blinkers... "No good deed shall go unpunished" a wry smile here.

Of course T.C. will need guidance on fasteners, wall adhesive, insulation suitable for vertical installation, base coat top coat refinishing, paint prep, choice of colour scheme, mood lighting ( he will be a "mood" man after all this advice...... ). Now, how are the numbered Neutral designations at the switchboard, load tail matching on the neutral link bar to sub circuits??? Misconceived dangerous standard that one, take it to different topic.

How did the typing go? We cannot nobble you there in class T.C. signed Officer Dibble......
 
Roger that Mr Cosi
Not sure what I was thinking 🧐

Will get right on to it
Might just fully line the shed and be done with it👍👍

Sure I could get some sort of tips on what sort of lining , insulation and fit out from this Forum
🙄
No need to rush into it bud, just send me a rough as built plan, I’m happy to spend a few hours with you at the rally, run through some finish and colour selections, we can do a take off and get it sorted, I guess the real question is are you happy with what is there or can we improve on the making the design more functional to meet your current needs, email it through and I’ll have a look at it, you know I’m always happy to help, talk at the rally
 
Reminds me of an incident when I was still in short pants, had an argument with my parents about not wanting to go somewhere and was left at home in my bedroom. Bored, I decided to ‘explore’ what was the other side of the electric socket. After that experience I was always a lot more respectful when it came to ‘playing’ with electrics.
When I was 5 I took off the cardboard back of the television set to see what the people on TV looked like from behind.
 
Back
Top