Screw cap

Have no doubt the fluff was there. Could clutch plate material be the origin? Or a rag that fell down the cam chain tunnel during work? Just sounds so weird that oil additives could combine to create fluff.

Have no doubt the fluff was there. Could clutch plate material be the origin? Or a rag that fell down the cam chain tunnel during work? Just sounds so weird that oil additives could combine to create fluff.
I agree. It’d be good to know exactly what/why, but in the meantime I’m treating it as good advice to prevent an unlikely but expensive problem. Bit like leaving the fuel taps on 👍

If not correct this has happened to 2 RGSs so far reported, and their mesh screen is finer than 180 Triple mesh screens. Doing an analysis of this FLUFF would be a good idea if some could be found before some poor bastard blows an engine. Who do we know who has stripped the most Laverda engines over time and might have seen other examples of the fluff?

An analysis of the "fluff" would be good I agree, and under exactly what circumstances it appears. Moisture buildup can look a bit like this.

I used a mineral based 20/50 ( Esso ) when it was available , later a 10/40 ....... changed every 1500 miles as Laverda recommend , checked the sump strainer every other change ......... always as clean as a whistle ....... that was over 226,000 miles , no problems whatsoever ......

I wouldn`t fit an external filter .... firstly : I just couldn`t be bothered .... secondly : I wouldn`t want to place any additional restrictions within the oil flow , and thirdly : I don`t like the idea of extending recommended oil change intervals ......

What on earth was going on inside the head of the person who let that strainer descend into that state ? .....

I used a mineral based 20/50 ( Esso ) when it was available , later a 10/40 ....... changed every 1500 miles as Laverda recommend , checked the sump strainer every other change ......... always as clean as a whistle ....... that was over 226,000 miles , no problems whatsoever ......

I wouldn`t fit an external filter .... firstly : I just couldn`t be bothered .... secondly : I wouldn`t want to place any additional restrictions within the oil flow , and thirdly : I don`t like the idea of extending recommended oil change intervals ......

What on earth was going on inside the head of the person who let that strainer descend into that state ? .....
Completely agree with everything you say.

Blimey.

Well, they do say that if a Laverda is running well, then leave it alone and don't mess about with it. The DPO took that to extremes! :)

If not correct this has happened to 2 RGSs so far reported, and their mesh screen is finer than 180 Triple mesh screens. Doing an analysis of this FLUFF would be a good idea if some could be found before some poor bastard blows an engine. Who do we know who has stripped the most Laverda engines over time and might have seen other examples of the fluff?
Grant, Piet, Keith, Red, Phil Todd, Clem...

Last edited:
thank you for the semi apology Nicko, but damn you for doubting my wisdom, (if your Covid is well and truly gone you are welcome for a brew anytime) my eyes do not deceive, seen it on 3 bikes 2 of 120's (finer mesh) and 1 of 180 (courser mesh), everyone should remember, you only (might) have a problem if you change oil brands, so if doing that, run 150 or so miles and change again dropping the mesh filer (again)
CLEM

The first engine rebuild on my 64 Bonnie the idiot used Stag, it sets rock hard with zero give and does a horrible job stopping leaks compared to more modern gasket sealers. I was chipping it off for days on the next rebuild. I think it was invented for plumbing originally. Absolute crap stuff.

Back