SF3 on eBay

Piranha Brother 2 said:
The old 'grab what's in the parts bin' saga again maybe??!!  :o
Who knows, maybe they had so many that it justified doing the whole batch that way. In combination with the classic tank badges is had a certain retro feel to it, it was the last of the 750 twins after all.

Marnix
 
The Sock said:
Is no-one else going to mention the front mudguard?

nooneelse_quote.jpg
 
Pedantic mode off..

You're surely right, just looked at some photos in my archive and see more with the modern badges. Re the tail light, I bet that the SF3s that went to US also had the square tail light because of the mandatory reflectors on the glass.

Marnix
 

Attachments

  • 2020-07-16 19.01.52.jpg
    2020-07-16 19.01.52.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 115
  • 2020-07-16 19.01.42.jpg
    2020-07-16 19.01.42.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 2020-07-16 18.59.46.jpg
    2020-07-16 18.59.46.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 116
Interesting that as Laverda stopped production of the 750SF ..... Kawasaki started making the KZ750B twins. I have ridden the KZ and although the handling is typically mushy the bike was okay to ride. Softer power due to the counterbalancer and CV carbs but probably would keep up to an SF in a straight line. Also had tail end styling with the ducktail behind the seat ..... but otherwise  looks like an early 70's Kawasaki.

I like my early SF better ...... in all respects.

Jim

c46057452b76e3afc195caade3b396b6.jpg
 
Thanks guys. Can't argue with factory sales lit. Looks to me like there  was latitude given to pinstripe placement.
Geez the silver (dinged) one looks like it was done in the dark! I'm liking the blue one a lot more now.
Done more like a triple.
So now I want to verify if the blue was offered at all maybe only in UK or what..
 
3CBRG said:
<snip>  So now I want to verify if the blue was offered at all maybe only in UK or what.
I have my doubts.

On the SF3 page in "Storia di una Passione" there's this picture of a colour wheel showing the 16 different colours available for the 750s, "During the most productive period".  Now I accept that that qualification can be subject to interpretation.  But I don't see on that colour wheel a Royal Blue like the bike in question is currently wearing.

Ok, later on the RGA came out in blue.  But again not really the blue that's on this SF3.

In any case, that blue doesn't do the bike any favours, IMO.  I'd respray it silver, with the pin stripes, hopefully including some bubbles underneath as noted by Marnix ...  :D
 

Attachments

  • 750 colour wheel.jpg
    750 colour wheel.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 192
Royal blue is much darker I would have thought. I have seen dark blue 750's. I would call the bike in question more French blue. Too bad if it's not a factory choice. I think it looks great on this bike.
Still waiting on response from seller. Asked if he knows what the original paint was. 
 
3CBRG said:
Royal blue is much darker I would have thought. I have seen dark blue 750's. I would call the bike in question more French blue. <snip>

I dunno ... thought 'Royal Blue' was pretty much on the button ... sniff  :D

 

Attachments

  • Royal blue.jpg
    Royal blue.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 166
I love the color, but sure looks like a repaint to me, including the frame. Check out the Allen head screws holding the tank badges? It looks like a mildly personalized stock bike. The seller correctly notes that all bikes old in the U.S. from 1975 on had to have left hand shift, which makes the right hand shift on this one something of a mystery - or not, previous owner might have just taken it back to Euro specs.
 
AndyW said:
As will leaving it to tickover for too long without moving...

Woulda thought full throttle runs for several km would be more likely ... does the engine produce THAT MUCH heat at idle? Agree about the 40 deg adv!
 
Back
Top