Some Clean Speed

My 70 Breganzie 750SF would had loved that road against bigger bikes with all their Hp.

Hitting 7000 to 8000rpm just to keep up but pass 1 to 3 of them in one corner and disappear on the the next straight before they came outta the corner.

Granted my 84 1100 Suzuki GSXR Kantana was a hell of a lot faster but NOT as Sneaky ;o)

The thing is you have train like hell to ride like that - Pushing yourself to the limit with every chance you get !

What really got me was that I could shoot down any modern Jap Bike back then over a distance with my 750 Breganze over a winding road course.

Legal or NOT - No chance in Hell if you were Married ;o)

Them Suzuki and Yamaha Sales bike riders with all thier expensive appearil could not not beat a kid in jeans with a Shoie Helmet knee and elbow pads on and old Breganzie 750SF to and fro on the Moose Mountian Road - Start Here:

I use to ride 600 miles south on a week end in the 70's just to street race the Streets of Toronto for a one night stand back then with my 750.
Come dawn I had to ride another 600 miles north to get back home and go to work.

The thing was I never got outta 1st gear racing light to light and wore my rear tire out needlessly that never equaled the thrill of road racing but I did win most of my street races. My Breganzie was popular in Toronto because no one else had one. As I say, I've never seen another Brerganzie SF in Ontario except for mine; however, I have seen a few Triples pass though.
 
Last edited:
The bloke with the cameras from what I made out is a local, and I expect knows the road very well, not withstanding changing circumstances. What impressed me was the way the other bloke did. He was riding to what he saw, really clean lines, never blew over the double yellows unless he was passing someone, did the passes quickly but didn't harass anyone, and even though the local gapped him he didn't go past what I think was his set limit, eg ego exceeding ability like so many do. The first vid I saw had those speer like gadgets on one of the bikes and I had no idea what they were. Apparently there 360 deg camera mounts, seen vids before from them that look like close by flying drones. I have seen way worse riding in vids. Thought it might get a reaction here and spark some comments.
 
Vince: Motorcycle are not easy too see from a car drivers respective - Meaning, as a Motorcyclists, any car you see is going to hit you.

Believe me how hard I try to be aware of motorcycles on the road I still can miss seeing motorcycle as a car driver.

One reason why I paint my bikes RED with lot of front illumination with a loud horn. Did NOT save me as I still got hit and ended up in the Hospital numerous times - Never sued anyone, in spite of my broken bones and costly repairs to my ride - But that was back in the 60's and 70's - Times have changed. I never cost my insurance Co a dollar except for a paint job on the hood of my 72 Dodge Challenger 340 MAG Rally when a friend decided to do jig on her hood (Bonnet) to whew his Girl friend - Go Figure that friend was never my friend again as he showed no respect to me or his Girl. I would sooner he slithered like a snake up that girls door ;o)
 
Last edited:
That road is a shitshow most days, usually clogged with wannbe roadrace heroes and cruiser packs. When traffic is light it is fun but the price for error is pretty high. There are photographers that make a good living just sitting on a corner shooting those going by and the occasional big fuck up. I'm lucky enough to be living near similar roads without the traffic/police presence. But I'm not telling where!
 
In Oz these days those parked cars would be speed camera-equipped!! They look like they know what they're doing. If you like riding like that you just have to have contingency plans for the unexpected - which is nigh on impossible!! On the (in)famous Cumberland Junction road east of Melbourne, many of the fatalities occurred when riders leaning into corners struck oncoming 4WDs running to the centre line on blind corners.

Some of the footage riders post looks like death is only mm away. The recent footage posted publicly by the S Australian police of a guy hitting 250 on a city road (and then the back of a ute) is a classic example of how easily it can go wrong on a bike that has a 300+kph capability when enthusiasm outruns ability and common sense.
 
Thought the riding was pretty smooth and well in control, until the bloke following ran wide across the centre lines.
Been filmed makes some bloke's spurs jangle a bit too much I reckon.
 
It's uncontrollable how much I ITCH when come close to a Motorcycle - Any Motorcycle in my old age knowing, dam well, I can't ride them any more . I have to turn my back and walk away without saying a thing ;o(

Modern Bikes are simply amazing !
 
Last edited:
Fuck Lothar, time for you to buy a canam if that’s what you consider dangerous riding
Fuck Cosi, you're full of shit. Not everyone wants to drag their knee in every corner. Doesn't mean they should give up motorcycling. We don't all aspire to your hero level of motorcycling.

It looks like that "Tail of the Dragon" road has a pretty good surface and they were riding smoothly for the most part (with a couple of exceptions). The BMW rider's speeds were between 30 and 60mph (60-100kph) which is not blindingly fast. The highest speed I saw on his speedo before the camera flipped to rear view was a short burst up to 84mph (135kph). The guy on the Yamaha had to stand his bike up in a corner to avoid an oncoming car, and he did go very wide on one corner, right across to the other side of the road, which seems to indicate that he was pushing the limit of his skill. He was lucky there wasn't an oncoming car at that particular moment, but surviving by luck isn't a good long term strategy. If those guys habitually ride like that, sooner or later their luck will run out.

I just looked up the speed limit on that bit of road and it's 30mph, so the cops could harvest a lot of fines if they propped a speed camera on the side of the road!

Personally, I don't ride like that nowadays. It's a risk level I choose not to sustain. I might have an occasional squirt, but only when I can see the road surface far enough ahead, or I know what's around the corner (like on a track day). Out on a twisty road through a forest, you never know what's around the next corner, especially on the country roads in my neck of the woods. Things like a patch of wet road, bit of gravel, tree across the road, flock of sheep, etc. At my age, I prefer not to be bouncing off the road, or worse. Having to scrape a mate off the road last summer was enough to remind me how easily it can all go wrong when you crank up the pace.

So what if the edges of my tyres aren't shredded? It's only idiots with a "road warrior" hero attitude that see that sort of thing as a badge of honour.
 
I was NOT afraid riding Motorcycles fast when I was younger (To say 38 years old then I got married and had kids) as I learned to man handle and delibertly Hi-Side into Hi-Spd corners.

After a 16 year period of NOT riding and after my Wife left and much older, I lost that skill and motorcycling became rather scary as I tried to shoe the Breganzie with the ride-able tires. I missed my old Phantoms.

My Wife would not allow to me ride while we were together even though I bought her a beautiful 650 Night Hawk which she never mounted. Yet she rode her horses - Go Figure ?

It was through that period I lost my main motorcycling skills and my guts to ride fast.

Woman - I'll never figure them out - She's dead now and I miss her.
 
Last edited:
Fuck Cosi, you're full of shit. Not everyone wants to drag their knee in every corner. Doesn't mean they should give up motorcycling. We don't all aspire to your hero level of motorcycling.
bit harsh cam-i took it as a joke-you seem to have become more miserable as the time glides by-lighten up
 
We all have options, its good to have a chat in a pleasant way.As I said there are way more nuts riding vids out there. I am not impressed by the idiots who blast through traffic splitting at double the limit and start smashing mirrors when they think there safety is compromised. And I don't like the There riding like a race track comments when someone goes past at a higher speed than the complainer.
 
Fuck Cosi, you're full of shit. Not everyone wants to drag their knee in every corner. Doesn't mean they should give up motorcycling. We don't all aspire to your hero level of motorcycling.

It looks like that "Tail of the Dragon" road has a pretty good surface and they were riding smoothly for the most part (with a couple of exceptions). The BMW rider's speeds were between 30 and 60mph (60-100kph) which is not blindingly fast. The highest speed I saw on his speedo before the camera flipped to rear view was a short burst up to 84mph (135kph). The guy on the Yamaha had to stand his bike up in a corner to avoid an oncoming car, and he did go very wide on one corner, right across to the other side of the road, which seems to indicate that he was pushing the limit of his skill. He was lucky there wasn't an oncoming car at that particular moment, but surviving by luck isn't a good long term strategy. If those guys habitually ride like that, sooner or later their luck will run out.

I just looked up the speed limit on that bit of road and it's 30mph, so the cops could harvest a lot of fines if they propped a speed camera on the side of the road!

Personally, I don't ride like that nowadays. It's a risk level I choose not to sustain. I might have an occasional squirt, but only when I can see the road surface far enough ahead, or I know what's around the corner (like on a track day). Out on a twisty road through a forest, you never know what's around the next corner, especially on the country roads in my neck of the woods. Things like a patch of wet road, bit of gravel, tree across the road, flock of sheep, etc. At my age, I prefer not to be bouncing off the road, or worse. Having to scrape a mate off the road last summer was enough to remind me how easily it can all go wrong when you crank up the pace.

So what if the edges of my tyres aren't shredded? It's only idiots with a "road warrior" hero attitude that see that sort of thing as a badge of honour.
A "flock of sheep". Or a troop of baboons cavorting in the middle of the road, as I experienced on Sunday morning. Fortunately it was a straight section of road, and I saw them in time.
 
Back
Top