What caused you to crash and what bike where you on?

Wheelies....First time I had the now wife on the back of the Mach 3 i inadvertently brought it on the powerband in second going up an overpass in central Christchurch, When I'm autopsied - to recover the expensive electronics running me now - they'll find her fingerprints on my ribs.

I had to shut it off and try to start breathing again.

Oh, Mach 3 moments: Mach 3, fueled up, out of petrol station, straight down the road, into left hander with a bump…. booted straight because of the side stand I forgot to raise bit into the bump, and straight onto a old ladies dew covered front yard.

The resulting skew sideways and sliding down onto the grass was forgotten when the lady came out onto her veranda in her nightgown, asking if I was ok, from above.

I so wish she had worn underwear…..
 
That’s a lot of crashes around the world - people will think we are culpable 😀 rather than expert pilots
Experts? Mostly hooligans who can spin a line to keep themselves on the right side of the law and or life. You never know what riding on the limit is till you go past your own...then you try to push it again, and you never crash in the same corner twice:eek::)
These days for me at least it's all about living to ride another day, old broken bones are a constant reminder, I'm amazed I made it this far
 
Reading this reminded me of an incident I had on my 1978 Yamaha Ty250 a couple of years ago. Whilst riding off road in hills above my house with a couple of mates I was having continuous problems with the Ty cutting out and refusing to start. It reached a crescendo at the top of a 1in 6 stony track leading down to my home. Frozen, wet and pissed off with bike refusing to start I decided to bump it down said track. Standing on pegs and gradually twisting throttle open no success , then suddenly ( you know what’s coming ) bike fired, maximum revs screaming like a banshee, front wheel pointing skywards with me hanging on for grim death. For about 30 yds I headed downwards vertically doing the greatest wheelie I have ever managed. I subsequently fell off backwards smacking the back of my head heavily on the rocky surface. Luckily I was wearing a decent helmet so just rattled my brain ( ? ). I lifted my head to see the bike heading off down the track still wheelieing for quite some way until it veered off the track hitting the only tree in the area. There it stopped, still vertical, gently steaming as engine cut out. I meanwhile was pissing myself laughing back up the hill. After replacing the crankshaft seals the bike now runs well and is regularly chucked down the local hillsides.View attachment 68333
I had a similar experience with a XL250s Honda many years ago. I was riding on what used to be an opencast site (and is now a golf course) when I came across a quite steep hill that had a couple of temporary roads cut across it for the machinery to travel on. They had worn a bit and didn’t look too bad to jump across. I got the xl up to 3rd gear flat out and attacked, unfortunately I didn’t realise there was a small ‘lip’ on the edge of the road so when I hit it I went up more than forward. I was pretty high in the air looking downwards and knowing it wasn’t going to end well. I landed and the bike went straight up onto its’ back wheel and shot forward with me hanging on and wishing I had fixed the back brake before going out. The bike hit the perfect upright balance point and I couldn’t get the bugger down for a while until I fell back and watched the bike carry on for about 20 yards before it dropped to its side still running. I was laying on my back laughing and waiting for any pain to arrive. Luckily I got off ok and the bike just needed bent handlebars fixing (and the back brake 😬).
 
Last edited:
When I was a student at uni. I was without transport one day (don't remember why) and a mate offered me a lift home on the pillion seat of his Yamaha YAS1C (125cc twin cylinder "street scrambler"). We got most of the way to my place, with only a couple of corners to go, when he chucked it around a 90° corner at an intersection. He might have been OK on his own, but with me on the back the suspension was squashed down, so the cornering clearance was much more limited. Sure enough, some part of the bike grounded heavily, chucking us both off. I remember thinking at the time that he was taking the corner at a speed I wouldn't have attempted, and was about to say something, but it was too late. We were sliding down the road on our arses before I could get the words out. He had been riding pretty quickly most of the way home. Ducking and weaving through traffic and taking corners at unnecessary speeds. I suspect he was trying to impress me with his riding skill, but it backfired when he attempted that corner.
Not a lot of damage to the bike and just a few scratches and bruises on the pair of us. What pissed me off most was that I'd shredded the arse out of a brand-new pair of jeans.
Since that day, I've never felt comfortable being a pillion passenger on a bike. You're at the mercy of the rider's skill level and there's bugger-all you can do about it if he (or she) does something dumb.
 
I see there insane people Quing to be pilioned by some retired or not ex-racer around a circuit. You would have to have rocks in your head to do that. Go for a lap on their race bike, sure. Pillion NOT A HOPE.
 
I see there insane people Quing to be pilioned by some retired or not ex-racer around a circuit. You would have to have rocks in your head to do that. Go for a lap on their race bike, sure. Pillion NOT A HOPE.
I believe it’s Better then sex Vince, but to
Be truthful that is just hearsay.just what I heard….
 
Andover ‘89 Z900 ,wet,clay track, hit a load of grip, Cliff ate the dirt and I managed to lose grip. Jumping off I pulled the cut out ( visible on left wrist) and kicked out of gear so it ran on down the hill- completely unhurt amazingly.
View attachment 68402
Strange isn’t it? In Speedway we’d call the “load of grip” Drive. Here’s an example of getting too much drive:

 
Last edited:
My one and only almost high side was on an MX track, Samurai Park at Nowra on wet clay. The energy delivered when my rear-end slide caught traction was AMAZING. I did a handstand almost vertically over the bars but landed back on the seat.
 
Back
Top