500 basket case

I saw this for sale if its the one with the broken fins etc, lots to do but looked a nice project, parts can be more difficult to get for the 500's I believe, had two in the 1980's ( more agile and slimmer then....) If its your first Laverda don't be afraid to ask questions no matter how daft there is an awful lot of knowledge here
 
The lesson of the story (well as far as I’ve been told) is don’t stick your todger somewhere you shouldn’t when you’ve married a lunatic and (apparently ??) this was just one of many bikes the guy owned that received the women scorned treatment.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2410.jpeg
    IMG_2410.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2409.jpeg
    IMG_2409.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2405.jpeg
    IMG_2405.jpeg
    326 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2404.jpeg
    IMG_2404.jpeg
    326.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2403.jpeg
    IMG_2403.jpeg
    518.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2402.jpeg
    IMG_2402.jpeg
    327.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2401.jpeg
    IMG_2401.jpeg
    424.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2406.jpeg
    IMG_2406.jpeg
    305.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2407.jpeg
    IMG_2407.jpeg
    313.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2408.jpeg
    IMG_2408.jpeg
    338.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Hi mate I know what I’ve bought!! Whether I paid too much remains to be seem but I’ve always had a gun ho attitude to buying motorcycles as the pleasure I get is not reflected in the value of the item……if you know what I mean
I checked laverdamania before I set off to buy it but the matching engine and frame numbers don’t come up.
Yes the Laverdamania register depends on owners submitting their bikes ID to the site so hence the large gaps. Since the Montjuic & F500 are a couple of the most dubiously faked/copied bikes around, it's quite understandable that owners don't want their bikes ID made public ! But what the register does allow you to do is based on the year your numbers should appear, is get a reasonable approximation of what it should be - Alpino 350 or 500 - Monty Mk1 or 2 or F500 Mk1 or 2.
 
I didn’t get anything with the bike…..I got a receipt off matey ….just in case.
Looks better than the 500 I bought ...... so there is hope, just needs work and a bit of luck in finding the bits.... If the cams are shot Thorne engineers have some std alpino ones on the shelf .
 

Attachments

  • pic 3.jpeg
    pic 3.jpeg
    363.4 KB · Views: 30
The biggest question is "What's the timing chain like?"... the rest is peanuts. ;)

Looks like a well-thrashed and left-for-dead 500, like hundreds of others out there. Hope it was cheap.

piet
Then there's the camshaft bearings if the chain is serviceable.

And the dreaded split crankcase, sometimes only noticeable if you open the cases, you'll find the case breaking up around the rh outer crank bearing.

Paul
 
I still don’t think it looks as bad as some i’ve Seen. Cosmetically it may look at bit challenged but I’d be more concerned about how it runs and rides than how it looks.
 
Keeping it simple can you 500 lads tell me on a 1-10 scale on difficulty of finding and a basic figure £ cost of the following parts
1 Tank.
2 Cyl head
3 Cylinders
4 Side pannels
5 Front gaurd
6 Sprocket cover
7. Ignition cover.
8. Clutch cover.

Much appreciate any advise on this project, opinions welcome as to where I go with this bike. I thinks I’ll parade it and if it’s not to much agro I’d like to register it so I can wiz it round my village on a Sunday morning triggering the Karen’s and inspire the young lads ( and lassies), not to mention the local bike nights that have never had the pleasure of a Sito exhaust system.
 
Keeping it simple can you 500 lads tell me on a 1-10 scale on difficulty of finding and a basic figure £ cost of the following parts
1 Tank.
2 Cyl head
3 Cylinders
4 Side pannels
5 Front gaurd
6 Sprocket cover
7. Ignition cover.
8. Clutch cover.

Much appreciate any advise on this project, opinions welcome as to where I go with this bike. I thinks I’ll parade it and if it’s not to much agro I’d like to register it so I can wiz it round my village on a Sunday morning triggering the Karen’s and inspire the young lads ( and lassies), not to mention the local bike nights that have never had the pleasure of a Sito exhaust system.
You could start on Ebay. There currently is, or has been, most of those parts on there recently.
This guy has barrels & right side engine cover in need of a clean up !.

New right side engine cover.

Sprocket cover from Germany.

Fuel tank from Germany.

And you're going to need a decent gasket set !

Yamaha TZ350 is an easy replacement front mudguard.
 
Last edited:
Apart from a genuine Monty cylinder head, which is like rocking horse shit, most of the rest should be reasonably straightforward to source. Looking at some of the ‘hammered’ items, admittedly from a distance, I would have thought most are repairable.
Tank, fairing, side panels and mudguard are all available new at not excessive cost, and Zane sprocket covers fit 500s.
 
Find a good alloy welder. Those fins are repairable. Also maybe the alloy covers.
I do weld alu but you won’t get any nozzle in between those fins. I’m tempted to run the bike as is as it’s mainly cosmetic (until I find a replacement head and cylinders. It’s not exactly patina but it tells the story of the bike.
 
Apart from a genuine Monty cylinder head, which is like rocking horse shit, most of the rest should be reasonably straightforward to source. Looking at some of the ‘hammered’ items, admittedly from a distance, I would have thought most are repairable.
Tank, fairing, side panels and mudguard are all available new at not excessive cost, and Zane sprocket covers fit 500s.
The tank is probably repairable but when it was sprayed the sprayer didnt mask the pet-cock or filler!!? so the tanks full of spray. Was the Monty head different to the road bike head or are they both rocking horse? I’ve got an option of cutting away the damage from the sprocket cover portion (race bike style) again until one falls in my lap. I can heat beat and weld the side cases also. Do you know who has the side panels for sale as they are really beyond a repair. Thanks for your comments I’m learning availability ad costs gradually.
 
Back
Top