Broken Hill - 80s Jota owner?

What a wonderful thread you brought us, Nadia!! The tale reminds me so much of a heartwarming show that was on the ABC for a while where people would be searching for someone all over the world for various sentimental reasons and the producers would make it happen. Our whole family often teared up watching it. I do hope you and Graham can hook up in person and reminisce about the good and bad times you've shared.
 
Thanks Guys

You have been true champions and I don’t even know you. I did have to set a young man straight yesterday evening on the Ducati site as it was getting a little one tracked and disrespectful. But I think we/he may have helped him come to a more respect understanding.

PS: you can’t put a mature head on young shoulders and I noticed some of you help him and others learn that lesson - much appreciation.

Thanks Guys 🙏

N
We are a small tight nit but truely international family Nadia.
You should have seen a little 70th anniversary get together held in Breganze in 2019 hey Chris!!!!!!!!!
 
bit of info for you as well Vince, #3303 just surfaced, is in WA

Is that number, one away from my original engine number,3304 it's a shame I didn't know your abilities back when the case stud pulled and got mangled with a failed big insert. It might have saved mine as a matching numbers bike instead of getting a replacement set of cases from Wolfgang. Bad memory for me back then. It's not the end of the world, it's better to have a solid going hard-charging bike in the long run. So the factory must have bundled a few bikes off the line back then for OZ together.
 
The reaction here is a bit different to some of what happened on Facebook Ducati sites, must be more 12-year-olds riding Ducatis compared to Laverda. Such a great story.
This Laverda forum is unique among motorcycle forums in my experience. It's very much like a bunch of old mates who actually care about each other. We're mostly of a similar age and many of us have met in person.

I joined the Ducati forum a few years ago, mainly to exchange technical info on the old bevel Dukes. I mentioned a few of the modifications that I'd done to my MHR, like Ignitech ignition, braided brake lines, side stand, aftermarket shocks, etc. There were some who were interested, but just as many who dished out abuse for my "desecration" of the hallowed classic Ducati. Some of the comments were quite vile and abusive. The forum seemed to focus mostly on bragging about what great riders they were or what latest Ducati fashion accessory they'd bought. There were some sensible people there but way to many tossers polluting the place. I couldn't be bothered weeding through the crap to find the useful info so lost interest pretty quickly.

I also joined the Benelli Forum. That one is something like the Laverda Forum in that it's a relatively small bunch of people who seem to be friends. The difference is that Benelli is still making bikes, including a range of small, learner legal models, so there's a much younger age demographic on the Benelli site than here. The younger guys seem to have less interest in the technical aspect of their bikes, so I'm not sure what value they get out of a forum. I still drop in to the Benelli forum from time to time.

I think the general demeanour of a forum might have something to do with the number of forum members. Laverda and Benelli are brands that don't have a lot of bikes out there, so the owner groups tend to be small. Their respective forums are likewise small so everyone gets to know each other and become friends.

Forums for the more popular brands (like Ducati) will have massively higher membership numbers, so are less likely to exist as a friendly little club. Anonymity among the membership seems to be fertile ground for nastiness and personal abuse to take root and flourish.
 
The Moderation on the NSW Ducati forum is usually painfully anal, shutting down the slightest issue fast, they have a lot more women riders than we do so I was surprised at how stupid it got there re this thread. And not clever or funny, just grubby. I expect they were young as the MEMS came out, 90% of which I just don't get the point off. It started with how dare this post appear here from someone who doesn't have a Ducati, and this sounds suspicious, the moderator had to explain how he was PMed and asked first if it was ok. I have to admit we got more backstory but that shouldn't matter. Our first responses were how can we help. Two different mindsets.
 
I like a good story, especially when it has a happy ending. Just shows positive things sometimes happen on the Internet. I was interested about the uncomfortable Guzzi Le Mans. Last summer a friend of mine discovered that another pal had a Guzzi 1100 Sport. The first friend said he had yearned after one for years, pestered him to sell, and eventually they agreed on a price. So before money changed hands, friend takes the Sport for a 10 minute ride. After he returns, he says it is the most uncomfortable bike he has ever ridden, its a young man's bike and it's given him a sore shoulder. All those years of dreaming, it's always worth a test ride.
Dear Natm,

A bit like life - give it a test run before committing 😉

N
 
Well-done Red, not only the best Laverda engineer in the world, fantastic result. There is true friendship in this worldwide Laverda community. I could quote lots of examples, this is just another one. There is a lot of love in the Laverda family.
 
Tw
The Moderation on the NSW Ducati forum is usually painfully anal, shutting down the slightest issue fast, they have a lot more women riders than we do so I was surprised at how stupid it got there re this thread. And not clever or funny, just grubby. I expect they were young as the MEMS came out, 90% of which I just don't get the point off. It started with how dare this post appear here from someone who doesn't have a Ducati, and this sounds suspicious, the moderator had to explain how he was PMed and asked first if it was ok. I have to admit we got more backstory but that shouldn't matter. Our first responses were how can we help. Two different mindsets.
Dear Vince
And Nadia if you are now in a position to make amends I am sure one if the generous folk on here would provide you with a Jota 🤣
Dear Sir Sydney

be forwarned I may well stack it on you. I have impressive history on that front.

N
 
Last edited:
Part of the Laverda community mentality goes back a long way, when you could turn up in Breganze and go to the factory, meeting the people who made your bike, particularly the bosses.
It's still partly true though a lot of people have died now, but the old Laverda hands still make you feel very welcome.

Paul
 
Part of the Laverda community mentality goes back a long way, when you could turn up in Breganze and go to the factory, meeting the people who made your bike, particularly the bosses.
It's still partly true though a lot of people have died now, but the old Laverda hands still make you feel very welcome.

Paul
Or you turn up at the 2005 North America Rally and you see another Laverda, the first other than your own in literally decades. Then Pierro walks up to you and starts chatting about how they (the Laverda family) came up with the name of the color of your bike. There were many bikes and many owners but you felt right at home in the right place with the right people.

On the flip side,a Sunday morning ride to Palomar Mountain, the parking lot full of sportbikes with many Ducatis and Ducati emblazoned riders. A young fella pulls in with his carbon fibre number plate bracket and licence plate flapping loose in the breeze, not one Ducatista steps forward to lend a hand. Me of course part of my kit in the tank bag at least a couple of 6mm bolts and nylock nuts, fixed in 5 minutes,(what no titanium). He says thank you, fair enough, looks at the Jota, Laverda emblazoned on the tank and asks "is that a Ducati ".
FFS I should have taken the nut and bolt back.

p.s. Nadia, we'll fix your Guzzi 'PRN'

Cheers Dave (another RON)
 
Or you turn up at the 2005 North America Rally and you see another Laverda, the first other than your own in literally decades. Then Pierro walks up to you and starts chatting about how they (the Laverda family) came up with the name of the color of your bike. There were many bikes and many owners but you felt right at home in the right place with the right people.

On the flip side,a Sunday morning ride to Palomar Mountain, the parking lot full of sportbikes with many Ducatis and Ducati emblazoned riders. A young fella pulls in with his carbon fibre number plate bracket and licence plate flapping loose in the breeze, not one Ducatista steps forward to lend a hand. Me of course part of my kit in the tank bag at least a couple of 6mm bolts and nylock nuts, fixed in 5 minutes,(what no titanium). He says thank you, fair enough, looks at the Jota, Laverda emblazoned on the tank and asks "is that a Ducati ".
FFS I should have taken the nut and bolt back.

p.s. Nadia, we'll fix your Guzzi 'PRN'

Cheers Dave (another RON)
Reminds me of a story.
Must have been in 2000 when we organised a rally in Breganze along with the Moto Club Breganze. There was no Moto Laverda club Breganze at the time.
A group of friends rode down doing the Stelvio pass. One of them was an English friend on a 750 GT. They stopped at the top as you do. A man went up towards the GT and with a strong American accent said "Geez, you don't say you came up here with that old thing". He apparently left very rapidly, fearing for his teeth.

Paul
 
Or you turn up at the 2005 North America Rally and you see another Laverda, the first other than your own in literally decades. Then Pierro walks up to you and starts chatting about how they (the Laverda family) came up with the name of the color of your bike. There were many bikes and many owners but you felt right at home in the right place with the right people.
I went to the Willow Springs event for that rally! Very cool.

Jim
 
Back
Top