Laverda 1000 3C Box section swingarm question

I am really surprised someone hasn't developed a Moto Gp or even a Moto 2 bike that has alternative suspension that takes full advantage of their incredible lean angles. Maybe Hondas Elf stuff scared them off radical change.
 
Even Nessie has the 'motorcycle problem' of trying to create a suspension system that functions consistently to inputs transmitted through an arc of, potentially more than, 90°.
 
I think MotoGP bikes have angles of lean around the 60 degree mark now, so never going to be easy to get a tele fork to work perfectly.
 
The added weight and complicated mechanism are hard to get by. A while back I posted an article about a Canberra Engineer who was developing a frontend you could fit to any bike, this was Dirt Bike focused but could help any type of riding. It used a Gurder type of triple tree incorporating very supple spring and shock that took out any tiny bumps that looked to be applied to off-vertical action and standard type teles for bigger bumps. He builds them now for 8k. Too rich for my blood. There is a Queensland bunch building a Centre Hub Chassis for a Moto 2 bike that they recon will compete. I hope this stuff gets, wait for it, traction in high-end racing with even an Arms Race developing if one becomes successful. That would be interesting to see. Yep at 60deg a tele fork would struggle to get past the friction maybe?
 
I am really surprised someone hasn't developed a Moto Gp or even a Moto 2 bike that has alternative suspension that takes full advantage of their incredible lean angles. Maybe Hondas Elf stuff scared them off radical change.
'cos the current set-ups are probably the best compromise between complexity and result. Weight is also a major consideration.

Does everything that is asked of it without going bonkers, mechanically and financially.

piet
 
Have you ever observed what the front axle does under heavy braking on Ceriani-equipped bikes? Marzocchi not much better, especially the longer RGS variant. Further increased by up-graded brakes. Scary...

piet

I remember looking over the bars on one of my triples with Ms at 120kph on a straight relatively smooth road. The amount of fork flex forward and aft was astonishing.

I took the ostrich approach after that.

1691101832632.jpeg
 
If there had been lower stiction in the sliders the flex would have been a lot less. But triples have a considerable amount of 'unsupported' fork length. Maybe 50mm OD fork legs would have helped?! :eek:

Longer reinforced head tube and triple clamp pivot would make a big diff, but you still need supple low-stiction forks to really make the diff (think Maxton or similar).
 
Back
Top