Slow cranking

Was after some sulphuric acid to make a chromate solution.
Went to the battery shop and said by law, could not give me any. Something about drug making.
Easily got some from a cleaning supply place.
 
Times change, bike shops would sell you a plastic bottle of acid and a wet cell battery, plus a bottle of Mercury for your Vacum Balancer. It could be acquired but a couple of classic rat poisons, and Chlordane for Termites. None are legal now.
 
The UK stopped supplying wet batteries, and the unregulated sale of dilute Sulphuric acid, due to the rise in so called 'honour attacks' on women. Only licensed vendors can now supply battery acid.
 
Just recently had delivered a Yuasa lead acid battery for my Zed ,came filled within a sealed plastic bag with a vent cap ,the battery was fitted with a short breather hose and plug with instructions to remove it as soon as it was delivered.
They were not allowed to send the acid pot unopened with the battery for me to fill it.
 
Is it only sulphuric acid that burns? A crazy reaction to ban it, or are all types of acid banned? I couldn't buy contact adhesive in Brisbane, it was banned because kids sniffed it, so the kids sniffed all sorts of other solvents. Aboriginal communities had only diesel cars so the kids wouldn't sniff petrol. And will they ban petrol because some people throw it on others and light it?
 
<snip> think I’m going to go for the yuasa yix 30 ah with a 400 cca

Maybe too late, but I use these on 2x Laverdas and 1x Ducrappi. 400 CCA. Went off Yuasa years ago.

WCP30 Westco Platinum Motorcycle Battery 12V 26Ah

 
Voltage depression down to 10V is within the normal range of what I'd expect during engine cranking - perhaps toward the low end of normal, but that could just mean that the battery's CCA is a little under-rated. I don't think it means the battery is shite. Yuasa batteries are normally reliable enough.

Before you point an accusatory finger at the new battery. Make sure your starter motor is OK. A starter motor with shorted out stator windings can look very similar to a dud battery and is probably the more likely scenario.

If you haven't already done it (I can't recall all the tests you've done) use a set of jumper leads to connect a good battery (preferably something with a decent CCA rating like your car battery) in parallel with your bike's battery. If you're still getting slow cranking then I'd bet money that the starter motor is shagged.
New battery 11.4 while cranking
 
High CCA is the way to go with most vehicle starting batteries rather than high amp hour capacity. You don't need a lot of amp hour capacity if you have a decent charging system. I have 2 batteries in my 4WD van. The normal high CCA starting battery and a deep cycle storage battery for running stuff like a portable fridge when camping. Not that I've done much camping recently.
 
authorities say they have no firm evidence about the cause

the official word on that car carrier that sank ...

lithium batteries again?

Otherwise I'd recommend one of those pocket size 'jump starter packs'
 
I have had two Yuasa batteries fail on my (diesel auto) Discovery this last six months, it gets little use all the time the weather is fair, no snow or frost, and there is a fair drain, alarm etc, but this has not been a problem in the past, the first was replaced under warranty and the second I cant be arsed with.
The £10 NOS Yuasa batterries that Finchy sniffed out for us 180 owners, that I bought (2 of) are both fine, even though they were acid filled and very low on volts on arrival, with "recharge by" dates out by several years.
CLEM
 
I have had two Yuasa batteries fail on my (diesel auto) Discovery this last six months, it gets little use all the time the weather is fair, no snow or frost, and there is a fair drain, alarm etc, but this has not been a problem in the past, the first was replaced under warranty and the second I cant be arsed with.
The £10 NOS Yuasa batterries that Finchy sniffed out for us 180 owners, that I bought (2 of) are both fine, even though they were acid filled and very low on volts on arrival, with "recharge by" dates out by several years.
CLEM
You sure the Discovery is negative earth?

Paul
 
Back
Top