Building my Jota

Back at it..... on the third attempt it printed correctly, it is incredibly frustrating when it doesn't print correctly the first time! , this is the shape I need for the electrical cover, I started printing the first one on Sunday, but I got a dodgy spool of filament that had overrides in it.... I didn't find that out on the first print as we had a power cut over night at my shop, which stopped the print, second failure the over ride of filament which creates a knot of a sort stopped the print Monday night around 4am . So i binned the spool into the recycling bin, and got a fresh one out. Its a 27 hour print for this , it came out really good. So tonight when I get home I will check out how it fits. next step is sorting out where I will put the fasteners , Im leaning toward a centre fastener only, smack dab in the back , you can probably make out the feet that I have designed in, so if I do go a centre fastener then the feet will stiffen the hole cover up and stop any compression in the cover when its screwed down tight .

One thing I will say about 3 d printing is its a huge learning curve to learn how to print different engineering plastics. Printing PLA is load and forget , but once you start using engineering plastics... it changes completely. Much like a lathe or anything like that you have to learn the skills to use it, and learn the characteristics of the materials you are using..... if you start down this road be prepared for a lot of frustration, but when you nail a job it is completely satisfying.

This one isn't the end product, its a prototype which may be come the plug for a mould, if I designed it correctly. You can still build print this quite light, it has only 15 % infill in it, with a honey comb structure making up the infill density

photo one is on the print bed, as it prints , you can just see the support you print at the same time as the object, which allows you to print lareg overhangs
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7366.jpeg
    IMG_7366.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_7367.jpeg
    IMG_7367.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7368.jpeg
    IMG_7368.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 46
I’m pretty stoked how it came out. The cover fits really nicely. I just have to do a few tweaks to miss the welds on the bottom right hand side , and then it should be good as gold. It’s printed with 2 mm wall thickness, it’s amazing how stiff it is ..... enter stage right chris k... take it away sir. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
 

Attachments

  • 3CA03A6B-48E6-4C33-BEF1-6A1017E5913D.jpeg
    3CA03A6B-48E6-4C33-BEF1-6A1017E5913D.jpeg
    168.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 05831F8B-16FB-4929-80EA-AD461AF79E24.jpeg
    05831F8B-16FB-4929-80EA-AD461AF79E24.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 5195F915-3637-463C-A687-ECC8E9029413.jpeg
    5195F915-3637-463C-A687-ECC8E9029413.jpeg
    207.3 KB · Views: 80
A sausage! What I miss is the maggot bags in Australia. It ain't possible to get a decent pie anywhere in the world other than OZ (maybe the UK is the other exception).
 
A sausage! What I miss is the maggot bags in Australia. It ain't possible to get a decent pie anywhere in the world other than OZ (maybe the UK is the other exception).
I found a kiwi bloke doing pies in Berlin, they were insanely good, we went back 3 days in a row from a 4 day trip there
 
So after a long period of negotiation , some ego massaging, a lot of understanding, and an Italian mate helping me out as an Italian only can , my exhaust arrived.

Several things here....
1)the workmanship is excellent
2)It fits so easily, there is no forcing no bending or jamming or levering needed to mount the exhaust.
3) the headers are big... they are 43mm, not the 48 mm that he started to make with out letting his clients know the change , He was gracious enough to make the original size he advertised.
4) regardless of if the headers are too big, or not, I need an exhaust to put on for the engineering inspection, as rules are imminently changing in regards to historic and classic motorcycles, its far better if I get the Jota in the system now, before the rules change for the worse.
5) I would be wary of dealing with the seller of the exhaust, he doesn't take questions easily, and goes silent on you too, and is easily offended. It really was a lot of work to get what I paid for, but that said, who ever welded these, they have doe a really good job, and the finish and fit is excellent. So buyer beware, if you choose to go this route... Im not sure its worth the effort, stress or bother.

so this weekend I have to go backwards to go forwards, Im putting the tank, headlights, fairing and everything on the bike for the inspection, It will all get taken off again after the inspection, The bike only needs to look as it will look when it is finished for the inspection, so it can be verified as a classic or historic motorcycle ,after the inspection it wont be able to change, not tire sizes, not lights, etc. I always wanted a 3:1 exhaust on this, so if this one does or does not work it doesn't matter, it just needs to look like what i would want it too, so if I need to change it, the bike will already be inspected with a 3:1 exhaust, and i can easily change to a more suitable exhaust, should this one not be correct tune wise. It just has to look similar.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7402.jpeg
    IMG_7402.jpeg
    220.9 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_7403.jpeg
    IMG_7403.jpeg
    248.9 KB · Views: 107
my goodness... for sure it is great workmanship. However, with exhaust ports being something like 35 - 37mm, I wonder what these massive downpipes will be good for, especially as they open up in a big step instead of a conical part as far as I can see. Esthetically, I find them a bit dominant... (me saying this with 38mm pipes on the Jota). Will see how good they are once the bike is run-in and you maybe can go open throttle (highway or Dyno).

Good luck for the inspection!!
 
my goodness... for sure it is great workmanship. However, with exhaust ports being something like 35 - 37mm, I wonder what these massive downpipes will be good for, especially as they open up in a big step instead of a conical part as far as I can see. Esthetically, I find them a bit dominant... (me saying this with 38mm pipes on the Jota). Will see how good they are once the bike is run-in and you maybe can go open throttle (highway or Dyno).

Good luck for the inspection!!
Yes, I agree with you on all points ,at the very least its a starting point, And Im way to close to the law change for comfort, this should have been done and dusted 4 months ago. Thanks for the good luck wishes
 
my goodness... for sure it is great workmanship. However, with exhaust ports being something like 35 - 37mm, I wonder what these massive downpipes will be good for, especially as they open up in a big step instead of a conical part as far as I can see. Esthetically, I find them a bit dominant... (me saying this with 38mm pipes on the Jota). Will see how good they are once the bike is run-in and you maybe can go open throttle (highway or Dyno).

Good luck for the inspection!!
That depends of course. Would that be outside or bore diameter?
I'm not too familiar with the exact form and shape of the triple exhaust ports, but given a 35mm valve size I'd be quite comfortable with 40+mm primary bore and a step of about 5mm diameter between the port and the header for a parallel wall port. A very well proven setup on most engines I've worked on.
The step between the header and the port helps to 'break' backflow of gasses into the cylinder. If these ports have a slight taper opening to valve size or over (you say 35-37mm) then 40-43 would be just fine.
Primaries are all about minimum volume and length, so diameter is a function of that. Length determines resonance frequency, volume the speed of expansion (the more the better, if only valves could do a block wave...). Over a certain volume you're not gaining anything but not really losing either. When it's too small you get static back pressure. To be avoided at all costs.

tschuess...
Tom
 
a busy weekend this weekend, Saturday was spent at work, and then building tack room furniture for the wife, Sunday was installing said furniture, and then a family lunch in Puerto Andratx... Cosi was right, the rut was hard to get out of with the MV being on the road. If you ever get the chance when in Mallorca, Puerto Andratx is a nice waterfront port where you can eat in style or very simply, and beside the few fishing boats that remain. The roads that lead you there, especially from the horse stables, are second to none, if you take the long way, and why wouldn't you with 23 degrees and coastal curvy roads. They have reduced a lot of the speed limits, and put in lots of cameras, but its still a nice island for a jolly. This is the first time in a year that we have eaten out of the house, there are still a few restrictions here, only terraces are allowed open for restaurants, and they are only allowed to be 30% full, no more than 4 people per table, no more than two different households at a table, and all restaurants closed by 1700... some may say why would you go out, well mental health, and to show some support to the local businesses that have been decimated... and they really are hurting.

Back on subject I hit the shed about 1800 on Sunday, and started getting everything on the Jota for todays engineer visit, as I said before, not everything has to work, but it needs to look like it will when the project is finally finished. Everything needs to work when it goes for the road worthy. The engineers visit is just part of the process to get the bike in the system, and papers moving. This was actually a really good wake up for me, I realised how much more I have to do, and well while its not major work, its fiddly time consuming work for me at least, and I found a few mistakes for new players like me that I had made, or rather had not fore seen, eg my rear brake torque arm.... doesn't fit... well it does, beautifully, but not now the exhaust that took 6 months to arrive is in place..... back to the drawing board there. And a whole host of other small things, which I think if you are obsessive compulsive like me, will take a lot of attention to get the outcome that I want. Anyway this is how the Jota finished up at 2300 last night. I still need to put the gear change arm on, but thats about it. Once everything is photographed and noted by the engineer, I can get the tank and fairing and seat etc off, and stickered up , and clear coated, and while that is happening I will tackle all the small jobs. So hopefully with the engineer saying the chasis and wheel base length hasn't changed, and a classic vehicle club guy saying its a fair representation of a classic bike I should be good to go. I know its not 100% classic , all the modern wizardry is hidden, but I am very proud of it and my most in depth bike refurbishment. Hopefully one day I will be clever enough to do my own engine work, well at least general engine work like disassembly and re commissioning... crank and headwork can go to the proper people.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7438.jpeg
    IMG_7438.jpeg
    264.4 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_7439.jpeg
    IMG_7439.jpeg
    221.2 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_7444.jpeg
    IMG_7444.jpeg
    246.9 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_7434.jpeg
    IMG_7434.jpeg
    216.3 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_7430.jpeg
    IMG_7430.jpeg
    244.7 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_7425.jpeg
    IMG_7425.jpeg
    300.8 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
a busy weekend this weekend, Saturday was spent at work, and then building tack room furniture for the wife, Sunday was installing said furniture, and then a family lunch in Puerto Andratx... Cosi was right, the rut was hard to get out of with the MV being on the road. If you ever get the chance when in Mallorca, Puerto Andratx is a nice waterfront port where you can eat in style or very simply, and beside the few fishing boats that remain. The roads that lead you there, especially from the horse stables, are second to none, if you take the long way, and why wouldn't you with 23 degrees and coastal curvy roads. They have reduced a lot of the speed limits, and put in lots of cameras, but its still a nice island for a jolly. This is the first time in a year that we have eaten out of the house, there are still a few restrictions here, only terraces are allowed open for restaurants, and they are only allowed to be 30% full, no more than 4 people per table, no more than two different households at a table, and all restaurants closed by 1700... some may say why would you go out, well mental health, and to show some support to the local businesses that have been decimated... and they really are hurting.

Back on subject I hit the shed about 1800 on Sunday, and started getting everything on the Jota for todays engineer visit, as I said before, not everything has to work, but it needs to look like it will when the project is finally finished. Everything needs to work when it goes for the road worthy. The engineers visit is just part of the process to get the bike in the system, and papers moving. This was actually a really good wake up for me, I realised how much more I have to do, and well while its not major work, its fiddly time consuming work for me at least, and I found a few mistakes for new players like me that I had made, or rather had not fore seen, eg my rear brake torque arm.... doesn't fit... well it does, beautifully, but not now the exhaust that took 6 months to arrive is in place..... back to the drawing board there. And a whole host of other small things, which I think if you are obsessive compulsive like me, will take a lot of attention to get the outcome that I want. Anyway this is how the Jota finished up at 2300 last night. I still need to put the gear change arm on, but thats about it. Once everything is photographed and noted by the engineer, I can get the tank and fairing and seat etc off, and stickered up , and clear coated, and while that is happening I will tackle all the small jobs. So hopefully with the engineer saying the chasis and wheel base length hasn't changed, and a classic vehicle club guy saying its a fair representation of a classic bike I should be good to go. I know its not 100% classic , all the modern wizardry is hidden, but I am very proud of it and my most in depth bike refurbishment. Hopefully one day I will be clever enough to do my own engine work, well at least general engine work like disassembly and re commissioning... crank and headwork can go to the proper people.
Looks great....glad you got sorted with the pipe...
 
Tack room for the wife eh? She's into horses then. I hope you have a good income. Horses are more of a money pit than boats, or restoring old bikes.
Tack room for the wife indeed, she is getting the room off the bike shed fitted out for the home tack room, and then she has lockers at the horse stables, I think we are about even stevens on the horse bike cost, Horses are a pain in the ass, they get injured or sick seemingly so easily. She buys her horses and I buy my bikes, and we both give each other thoughtful gifts that relate to our chosen afflictions. It works well. I have to say I do like the tack room, there is something about the skill involved with saddle making and leatherwork.
 
Interesting that they measure the wheelbase as part proof that it's a std classic! So if you run 21 deg of rake and a long swingarm to compensate, as long as it's the same wheelbase as the old beast, it's a std classic! Nice. You just don't tell the engineer the head tube has been removed and repositioned.
 
Forget my idea about a baffle section, Todd - i think your mega is too far back to make it work - would be protruding way beyond the rear wheel! Ypu'll just have to baffle what's there.
 
Forget my idea about a baffle section, Todd - i think your mega is too far back to make it work - would be protruding way beyond the rear wheel! Ypu'll just have to baffle what's there.
copy that , I bought a 200mm long harley dB killer that looks like it will fit or be able to be made to fit, thats one of the small projects this week,
 
Back
Top